Mr Damian Fahy

• Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery

11th October 2017
Written by a patient at The Lister Hospital

Mr Fahy reviewed me for strong back pain that I had been experiencing for months without seeking help, hoping that it would resolve. He examined me and quickly arranged a same day MRI. The MRI showed a very large disc herniation that was compressing the cauda equina. Mr Fahy immediately called me out of hours upon receiving the MRI results despite it being the night before Easter weekend, calmly and helpfully explained to me the symptoms and risks of cauda equina syndrome and that the sensible course of action would be surgery the following week but that if anything worsened over the weekend to inform him. Over the weekend I lost feeling in my saddle area and between the legs and started developing other cauda equina symptoms. I called the hospital on Easter Sunday and Mr Fahy promptly called me back and arranged to operate on me that same evening, luckily resulting in immediate pain relief and me getting feeling back in the lower part of my body. I feel lucky and grateful for his quick actions. As someone who has suffered from cauda equina syndrome I believe the review above implying that Mr Fahy was suggesting unnecessary surgery and making unnecessary comments about possible incontinence is unfair. Certainly in my situation I was extremely grateful for his quick actions and for educating me about cauda equina (plus the need for urgent surgery was reinforced by another well respected Surgeon) and would not have wanted to leave it to chance through rest. I am grateful to Mr Fahy for his quick actions and excellent advice and surgery, and think it is important that more people are aware of the symptoms and risks of cauda equina syndrome as I certainly had no idea about it initially.

9th April 2016
Written by a patient at BUPA Cromwell Hospital

Mr Fahy recommended I have urgent back surgery though I was asymptomatic (an MRI showed a disc protrusion). He spoke extensively about what could possibly happen if I didn't have surgery - such as permanent incontinence. It was such a scary meeting I fainted shortly after. I consulted two other surgeons in the following weeek who strongly advised against surgery, telling me to take it easy instead and wait it out - six months later I am recovered and I haven't been cut open to achieve it! I would strongly advise getting an independent second opinion on Mr Fahy's assessments. He did offer to organise a second opinion for me with his colleague, which I declined.

18th July 2014
Written by a patient at BUPA Cromwell Hospital

Great spine surgeon my issue was diagnosed quickly everything was explained and as my situation was urgent I was operated on within days 2 months on I feel great and have made a good recovery. Very matter of fact and to the point which was appreciated comes strongly recommended.

Short link to review Mr Damian Fahy: http://iwgc.net/eeiee