Mr Benedict Sherwood

• Urology

3rd April 2017
Written by a carer at Nottingham University Hospital

An example of doctors playing god in our experience I'm sad to report. Dad went in and lacks mental capacity - if the NHS cared about dementia patients they would see highlighted in their medical notes the patients family voice and legal representative with whom to liaise with. Mobile phone access leaves no excuses for doctors such as this one to contact a lasting power of attorney, particularly when it is obvious the patient lacks capacity as my dad does. This doctor went ahead to perform surgery on dad with no prior contact with his family/LPA. My dad received no consent form at the time and the doctor says I can't have a copy without paying for it. He wrote to justify his decision to operate was right as all other staff agreed with him it was the right thing to do (but would they object and cast doubt on his decisions anyway). It may have been dad and I agreed if it had been discussed with us but we were never given the opportunity. It a patients right to accept or consent to treatment according to the legal framework around the Mental Health Act. My dad was given no choice. So if you want a say in what happens to you avoid this consultant if you have mental issues.

Short link to review Mr Benedict Sherwood: http://iwgc.net/efhun