mr-barrie-white

13th April 2021

I was admitted under the care of mr white in a worldwind few days with a severe condition requiring the removal of a tumour. This guy was amazing in everything. His compassion and confidence let me feel at ease with it what was happening.

29th March 2021

One Sunday Morning around 2010 I awoke with a painful and somewhat paralysed right leg and right buttocks, this caused me great concern and worry. After time and consequent test and ultimate MRI scan it was confirmed that there was evidence of an haemorrhagic lesion within the substance of the spinal cord at the D10 level. After a time this led itself to settle down and my life returned to relative normality, time went by and within the symptoms gradually deteriorated with numbness in the right leg becoming the norm and a gradual numbing of the toes in my left leg, after further consultations with Mr White and in-depth discussions around 2017 we came very close to deciding on operating , a further MRI investigation was carried out and although my symptoms had some what deteriorated it was found that there was not any major change in the appearance/ size of the Cavernoma , after a great deal of soul searching and discussions I therefore decided to decline surgery and try to carry on. Around the middle of 2020 things took a considerable change for the worse not only the inability to control my right leg, but the onset of terrible pain in my left leg, needless to say this had a adverse effect on my mental and physical state with a downward spiral seeming more and more the outcome, friends and family could see that I was in a dark place and struggling to cope. Around the same time I started to notice that I was beginning to loose control of my Bladder this combined with the inability to gain access to the toilet in time led to a degree of incontinence, this was also combined with the inability to open my bowels in a controlled manner. I consequently reached a point in early March of 2021 where I had to reach out again and contacted my GP Mr Jones of Northgate surgery, who relayed my concerns to Mr White. Everything happened so fast and on the 4th of March I was admitted to the Queens Medical Centre for an overnight stay and MRI scan, this confirmed that although the lesion hadn't grown considerably my spinal cord was under extreme pressure and beginning to tire. On the 5th of March I was informed by Mr Will Sage that Mr white was prepared to operate post hast on the 10th of March the following Wednesday, this time I did not hesitate and said ok (lets go for it). Around 9am on the 10th of March 2021 I was in the theatre. Surgery took around 3 hours or so and in the early afternoon of the 10th I was awoken. Looking at my feet i started to move them and realised I had motor skills. Although I felt numb in my lower limbs, the pain and discomfort I had experienced for what seemed like forever had gone. Later Mr White came to visit me and said it had gone well with the removal of the Cavernoma being uncomplicated and hadn't bled, tears of relief followed along with a 5 day period of complete bedrest without moving. Gradually I was sat up and eventually managed to get myself into the chair I was gradually remobilised and by the 20th March I was up and about and discharged from hospital to carry on my convalescence and rehabilitation at home. As I write this as of the 29th March I gradually continue to improve being able to potter about even venturing into my garden workshop to check on my fishing tackle which I look forward to using again. I cannot put into words how much I owe to Mr White and his team, all the nurses and care assistants that helped me so so much, the care I received has been second to none. Many many thanks John West

10th March 2021

Mr White carried out a spinal operation she 10 years ago. The operation was successful with no problems in the ensuing 10 years. The care provided by Mr White was absolutely first class during the operation and subsequent stay in hospital. Regular follow_up checks via mail scans have provided further reassurance. We thank Mr White for the excellent treatment provided throughout.

Written by a patient at Queen's Medical Centre
9th January 2021

Following discovery of a tumour at the junction between the brain stem and the spinal cord, Mr White carried out brain decompression surgery and a biopsy in November 2020. Before the operation Mr White was courteous and patient, taking considerable time to find out about my symptoms and answer all my questions thoroughly. After then operation Mr White demonstrated his concern and commitment by coming into the hospital to see me on several occasions even though he was meant to be on annual leave. During that time it also became apparent that members of his team, from registrars to nurses, have a great deal of respect for him. I think I was very fortunate that Mr White was in charge of my surgery.

Written by a patient at Queen's Medical Centre
17th December 2020

I was diagnosed with a spinal tumour ependymoma back in January 2020 after 6 months of agonising pain in my right foot, I was put straight onto Mr Barrie White at QMC Nottingham by Derby Royal hospital. The shock of having a tumour inside my spinal cord was such a shock. But after meeting with such a kind, caring consultant he eased my concern almost straight away I waited approx 6 weeks for the operation and although it went ahead it was just a few days before the COVID 19 lockdown, I can’t lie it was very hard. In hospital for 9 days with no visitors ,not even my husband could visit me but the nurses on the ward did a great job. Mr White visited me almost every day to check up on me. One particular day I was snoozing on my bed and woke up to see him just sitting at the side of my bed waiting for me to wake. Mr white is so genuine, he doesn’t treat you like a number he treats you as a friend. It has now been 9 months since my operation and things are getting better slowly but surely, the numbness in my legs and feet are improving and after my latest mri scan I’ve been told things are settling down nicely. I do wish so much that I could give that man a hug and say how thankful I am for expertise in dealing with my situation but unfortunately due to COVID I have not been able to attend any appointments

Mr Barrie White was awarded the iWantGreatCare certificate of excellence in 2021 for delivering outstanding care.

• Neurosurgery