Mr Babak Arvin

• Neurosurgery

24th August 2017
Written by a patient at Queen's Hospital

Mr Arvin is totally professional and compassionate towards his patients. In my case, he listened to my symptom description, arranged the necessary radiography, then fully explained the problems I had in my spine and showing the signs on the MRI scans. Having already had two previous decompressions in the past, he explained that the scar tissue could present problems by adhering to the nerves, and there was no guarantee further surgery would be successful in reducing pain and mobility. He then explained in detail, what needed to be done to try and correct my spinal compression. He also set out the risks attached to the procedure. I was happy with his proposal to do a decompression on L4/5 and L5/S1. The surgery went extremely well, and I was allowed home the following morning. I did not experience any pain either from my problems or from the surgery site, and I was able to cease taking painkillers. At the 3 month review, he was very pleased to see that his handywork had solved my problems and that I was now standing taller than before. I explained the only sensation I now had was aching in the back if I did any work and unsteady balance. He has recommended Physio to strengthen the back muscles. He has also written to my GP stating that if I had any other neurological problems, he could refer me directly back to him. I have had many operations, including 3 previous spinal decompressions, but has been the best ever, and I am totally in awe of Mr Arvin's surgical skills. I would recommend anyone with severe spinal conditions to get a referral to him.

18th August 2017
Written by a patient at Queen's Hospital

Four years on from a bilateral discectomy, I decided to look up Mr Arvin. He has remained in my thoughts since my operation as he went over and above the call of duty to look after me from the point of injury through to a complete recovery. The consultations preceding my operation were informative, unhurried and person centred, exploring and analysing the pros and cons of all options available. Ultimately it became apparent that an operation was the best option and Mr Arvin ensured that this was arranged for me in a timely manner. Whilst Mr Arvin explained the risks of the operation, I had total faith in his commitment and ability as a surgeon, which was not misplaced. Furthermore, I later discovered, that on the day of the operation (which was a four hour job) Mr Arvin had to fight my case as a ‘bed crisis’ had materialised and my operation was in jeopardy of being cancelled. Thanks Mr Arvin … you’re one in a million! So, pre-op my life had unwound to the point where I was in terrible pain and could not walk any further than from the bedroom to the bathroom, this with the aid of a stick. Post-op I not only returned to work but progressed my career and obtained useful qualifications. I am now fitter than many people I meet of my own age (being the wrong side of 50) and go to the gym, dig the garden, maintain my home and have a canoe which I take on the sea as well as lug it around. The scar itself has reduced to the point that it is hardly visible and I have to say … it’s like I’d never been seriously injured at all. I would add that an acquaintance of mine, from a different part of the country, is similarly injured; far from getting any person centred help she continues to deteriorate, she remains in pain, disabled and dependent and is now having her house adapted. Not everyone is lucky that when they are injured they cross paths with a surgeon such as Mr Arvin, it is one of the great stories of my life that I did.

3rd August 2017
Written by a patient at Queen's Hospital

I have had Mr Babak Arvin as my neurosurgeon for 3 years and he has been the most attentive and caring medical practitioner I have met since the diagnosis of my condition. He fully deserves his 5 star rating in my opinion.

3rd August 2017
Written by a patient at King George Hospital

From the first moment I met Mr Arvin I felt I had the utmost confidence in him. He explained in detail about how the operation on my spine would be done. Mr Arvin also explained there are risks with any operation especially an operation on the spine. He was so professional, caring, understanding and also good humoured which makes such a difference. If I could have, I would have had the operation there and then. I did have the operation on 31st July at King George Hospital. Before the operation Mr Arvin spoke to me with great confidence and put me at ease. After the operation again Mr Arvin ensured I was recovering well and it was so nice to speak to him. Right from the time I first met Mr Arvin until after my operation I really appreciated how he dealt with me with such care and kindness as well as being so professional. I am looking forward to seeing him on 21st September at Queens Hospital 14.15 for my post operation interview. Mr Arvin has also told me if I have any post operation problems or questions he will answer them personally. What more could you ask for?

22nd July 2017
Written by a patient at Queen's Hospital

From the moment l met Mr Arvin l felt great confidence that he would do his best to improve my head injury.He has a caring humorous way that puts you at ease and an ability to explain matters clearly.My operation proved successful thanks to his skilful expertise .I feel that he cared about me and took a great interest in improving my situation .He showed kindness in post op stating clearly future outcomes and maybe other treatment.l feel privileged to have been treated by such an experienced and approachable surgeon.

Short link to review Mr Babak Arvin: http://iwgc.net/efa6h