Mr Ashwin Unnithan

Mr Unnithan is a Consultant Orthopaedic surgeon with expertise in hip and knee arthroplasty including revision arthroplasty. He completed his specialist surgical training on the South-West London rotation during which time he completed a trauma fellowship in New Zealand. He has undertaken further sub-specialty training with fellowships at the Bristol hip unit and the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital. He has published a number of papers in peer reviewed journals and presented at international meetings in Europe and the US. He was awarded first prize for his presentation at the British Trauma Society meeting in 2014. His specialist clinical interests include Total Hip replacements, Young Total Hip Replacements, Revision Hip replacements, Total Knee Replacements, Unicompartmental knee replacement, Osteotomies, Knee arthroscopy and meniscal repair.

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 »

17th May 2018
Written by a patient at Ashford Hospital

I saw Dr Ashwin Unnithan and he told me how it would be after the opposite operation, all very clear and precise, did scare me a little with all the details but I appreciated him telling me how it was. He said how it would be after the operation and how important it was to do the exercises afterwards as he had done his job, now it was up to me. I took this on-board and started from day one. The nurses were excellent always there giving encouragement and advice, as were all the physio team always there ready to help and give encouragement. I felt very cared for and everyone made my stay very comfortable. I consider the operation a tremendous success and I can’t thank doctor enough. It is now six weeks since my operation and I am walking around the house without crutches and no pain. I have also started a little gardening. Thanks again everyone. Best wishes to all. Eileen Morgan x

14th May 2018
Written by a patient at BMI The Runnymede Hospital

I had a bad fall on the stairs fracturing my ankle into 9 pieces. I was admitted to St Peters in Chertsey as an emergency. I first met Mr Unnithan in the early hours of the next morning. He explained very carefully to me the possible consequences of my injury including the possibility of losing my foot. He was very kind and gentle with me. He subsequently operated later that morning and pieced me back together with plates and screws. He visited me every my day during my stay in hospital and explained that what I had experienced was a severe trauma and I would be in for a long recovery. He was always as reassuring as he could be in the circumstances. His follow up with me both under the NHS and privately was very thorough and he maintained his kindness and open attitude throughout. Six months down the road we were delighted to find I had healed completely and the scarring is barely visible. I can never express my gratitude enough for his skill, kindness and caring throughout. I recommend him very highly.

27th April 2018
Written by a patient at Ashford Hospital

Firstly, I should like to thank Mr Unnithan and all the Doctors, Nurses and staff at Asford Hospital, for the kindness and respect shown to myself during my recent procedure. Unfortunely my operation was cancelled twice, once because the consultant was retiring and on the other occasion due to the burden placed on the NHS by the Winter epidemic. Given a third date, I started a regime of simple exercises recommended by physio and I am glad that I followed their instructions because I am sure this enabled me to recover from the operation that little bit quicker. I have continued with the exercises after the operation and now lead a normal life, even enjoying my first game of bowls and also not having to endure the pain in my knee, from which I suffered prior to my operation whilst playing bowls. Having seen Mr Unnithan this week, I felt very reassured he would be happy for me to contact him, in the future should I have any problems. .

25th April 2018
Written by a patient at Ashford Hospital

Referred by my GP as I had arthritic hip which was 'stuck' and severely limited movement - giving me a quite severe stoop and very awkward gait, and painful back if I tried to straighten. Saw Mr Unnithan on the day of my operation and went home 48 hrs later. The care I received during that time was excellent and I thank the staff in Dickens Ward. I saw Mr Unnithan exactly 6 weeks later and was discharged - walking upright, unaided and without pain. My thanks to Mr Unnithan for vastly improving my quality of life.

15th April 2018
Written by a patient at BMI The Runnymede Hospital

Fell off my motorbike and broke my collarbone. Mr Unnithan was the Consultant at Ashford walk-in centre where I was taken. He spotted on my X-ray that the clavicle wasn’t just a simple fracture but that a piece had also separated at the back, so in order for a full recovery to be achieved, with a full range of motion, surgery would most likely be needed. Mr Unnithan spent time explaining the pro’s and cons of surgery and gave me time to come to my own decision over a couple of days. I elected for the surgery and was very glad I did. The difference post-op was night and day! Immediately felt more comfortable with much less pain. Throughout the process I always felt very confident that I was in extremely good hands. Mr Unnithan happily answered questions, no matter how stupid, both pre- and post-op and clearly had my well-being at heart. I would thoroughly recommend him to everyone.

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 »