Mr Ashwin Unnithan

Mr Unnithan is a Consultant Orthopaedic surgeon with expertise in hip and knee arthroplasty including revision arthroplasty. He completed his specialist surgical training on the South-West London rotation during which time he completed a trauma fellowship in New Zealand. He has undertaken further sub-specialty training with fellowships at the Bristol hip unit and the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital. He has published a number of papers in peer reviewed journals and presented at international meetings in Europe and the US. He was awarded first prize for his presentation at the British Trauma Society meeting in 2014. His specialist clinical interests include Total Hip replacements, Young Total Hip Replacements, Revision Hip replacements, Total Knee Replacements, Unicompartmental knee replacement, Osteotomies, Knee arthroscopy and meniscal repair.

 

Recent Reviews

 
« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »
Page 1 of 7
 
Recommend
1 2 3 4 5

Trust
1 2 3 4 5

Listening
1 2 3 4 5
7th August 2018
Written by a patient at Ashford Hospital

It is still early days following my THR, just 6 weeks but I am progressing fairly well. I am younger than those who had their hips done at the same time as me. This is my second too. I have completed one hip class where I was very young compared to the others and really would like to have been with some younger participants who need to get back to work and leading an active life...Is there a young hips forum or group anywhere? I know I am not the youngest and indeed one of my school children will have to go through this when she reaches 18, but I do still have ambition and a lot of active years ahead of me. Mr Unithan was very considerate of my age and that I will be getting back into the world of work and family life again, not just looking to be pain free. I do feel I need some more physio to help me along with this and indeed to help the correction of my pelvis from years of compensating with both hips not working as they should. I don't feel that one class was enough to give me the knowledge I need to go forward and work to a more active me. This was not in anyway against Mr Unithan though but the overall program for THR and how there does need to be a difference for each patients circumstances and age and life too if at all possible.

Recommend
1 2 3 4 5

Trust
1 2 3 4 5

Listening
1 2 3 4 5
9th July 2018
Written by a patient at Circle Reading

I saw Mr Unnithan before my total knee replacement on 28 April 2018, he explained to me what could be achieved. Now, 10 weeks after surgery, I am now walking pain free on that knee and waiting for my other knee to be operated on (with no hesitation to have this done). The physio is not easy at first, but perseverance is crucial for a better outcome and no one can do it but you! Mr Unnithan tells you how it is and listens to what you (and any family questions) have to say. He is attentive and caring. I had every confidence in him and will again with my other knee. Thank you Mr Unnithan and all the staff at the Circle Hospital, Reading.

Recommend
1 2 3 4 5

Trust
1 2 3 4 5

Listening
1 2 3 4 5
2nd July 2018
Written by a patient at Ashford Hospital

Mr Unnithan is brillant! I could not have had better care. I had knee replacement surgery on 10 May and he has been so supportive as well as being a great surgeon. My left knee was totally shot ligaments and all. Mr Unnithan stressed at my first consultation that to get best results I must put the work in on the exercises or there was no point in having it done. And of course he is absolutely right. My right knee was replaced in Nov 2013 so now I have a matching set. This knee is as good as the one I was born with and the left knee is shaping up the same way although this was a much more complex procedure. I have really good movement in them both BUT you must, must, must do the exercises!

Recommend
1 2 3 4 5

Trust
1 2 3 4 5

Listening
1 2 3 4 5
26th June 2018
Written by a patient at Ashford Hospital

Just had a right hip replacement and from the first meeting mr unnithan was very clear in what the risk and the out come was with this operation. I am now 4weeks post opp and it was the best decision I made with great care that he gave and the support that was needed he made you feel at ease before and after the operation.

Recommend
1 2 3 4 5

Trust
1 2 3 4 5

Listening
1 2 3 4 5
23rd June 2018
Written by a patient at Ashford Hospital

I recently had a total hip replacement done by Mr. Unnithan at Ashford Hospital. My handful of interactions with him have been necessarily brief due to his time constraints, but never less than laser-focused in terms of his clarity of procedural explanation, his ability to reassure me about my recovery potential and his infectiously bulletproof confidence in his own abilities. For example, as I was/am young(ish) and fit(ish), he tried to get me to walk down to theatre with him to save time and have a chat on the way, giving the nurses on my ward palpitations as they summoned a porter and a bed. He was morbidly yet realistically hilarious about my odds going in to surgery ("95% chance you'll sing and dance again, 5% chance you'll never walk, and 1% chance I'll kill you...but these are good odds, we'll take them!" And even yesterday, 6 weeks down the line, we reviewed my X-rays and he pointed at the site of the implant in my femur and said, "That...is sheer technical brilliance." And you know what? I totally buy it. Each time I've seen him, I have come away feeling massively positive, uplifted and hopeful about my progress post-op - no easy task when dealing with a commonplace but nevertheless majorly complicated surgical event. He and his secretaries have even gone out of their way to issue me with a piece of documentation relating to my recovery that my GPs refused to provide without charging an exorbitant fee, a kindness that I truly appreciate and which will provide concrete financial assistance to my family. As a patient in the NHS system, sadly it is often possible to feel very defeated about the time and effort it takes to get anything meaningful done...however, once I was assigned Mr. Unnithan I have felt incredibly well looked after and comprehensively informed and educated about the procedure I've had. Physically, the surgery itself came and went ridiculously quickly (just 2 nights in hospital) and it's a testament to the skill it must have taken to perform the operation that I was up and on my feet so soon afterwards with no after -effects other than one routine BP crash. My wound is enormous (25 metal staples the shape and size of The Joker's grin) but neat as anything and has healed impeccably with no complications. Having undergone the meds and exercise regime once I was home, I genuinely feel stronger every single day. My sense is that the operation has been 1000% successful and my recovery is progressing very well too, giving me a new lease of life at the tender age of just 46. I cannot recommend Mr. Unnithan highly enough and I thank him for everything he has done to change my circumstances with great good humour, honesty and unimpeachable expertise.


« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »
Page 1 of 7

Nearest Orthopaedic and trauma surgeons

1 2 3 4 5 (1)
0 miles

1 2 3 4 5 (2)
0 miles

1 2 3 4 5 (164)
0 miles

1 2 3 4 5 (134)
0 miles

1 2 3 4 5 (1)
0 miles

Resources

Short link to review Mr Ashwin Unnithan: http://iwgc.net/eggm3

Help other patients and leave feedback for a:


- Clinician
- Medicine
- Treatment
- Hospital
- GP Surgery
- Dental Surgery
- Wheelchair Service
 
iWantGreatCare uses cookies to help make the website work better for you. More information about cookies and how they are used can be viewed here.