Mr Ashwin Unnithan

Mr Unnithan is a Consultant Orthopaedic surgeon with expertise in hip and knee arthroplasty including revision arthroplasty. He completed his specialist surgical training on the South-West London rotation during which time he completed a trauma fellowship in New Zealand. He has undertaken further sub-specialty training with fellowships at the Bristol hip unit and the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital. He has published a number of papers in peer reviewed journals and presented at international meetings in Europe and the US. He was awarded first prize for his presentation at the British Trauma Society meeting in 2014. His specialist clinical interests include Total Hip replacements, Young Total Hip Replacements, Revision Hip replacements, Total Knee Replacements, Unicompartmental knee replacement, Osteotomies, Knee arthroscopy and meniscal repair.

15th January 2019
Written by a patient at Ashford Hospital

Mr Unnithan gave me a full knee replacement on the 25th August 2018. Because of a admin foul up, I was due to have another consultant carry out the operation, Mr Unnithan was assigned to me and I am very glad. Mr Unnithan is a very approachable, affable and knowledgeable consultant. He explained everything in great detail including the pain I could expect post op. The knee is performing as well as can be expected - no, I will never run again, but walking cycling, golf and gardening have all been achievable proving you adhere to the post op physio regime along with religious icing. I was given an open appointment and saw Mr Unnithan a further two occasions and he reassured me that the issues I have, will, in time go. What I can say that my knee, which before the replacement was chronic and extremely painfull but now, is now pain free. I would gladly recommend Mr Unnithan to anyone who has knee problems who are thinking about having a knee replacement. You will in very good hands, he takes your wellbeing as a priority.

8th January 2019
Written by a patient at Ashford Hospital

I had a total hip replacement 6 weeks ago and followed everything the hospital and the surgeon had told me to do ,i used crutches for 4 weeks and have been doing all the exercises, iwas signed off today by mr Unnithan and i can recommend him 100%

23rd December 2018
Written by a patient at Ashford Hospital

I had revision surgery by Mr Unnithan on my left hip at the end of last month. I am just over 3 weeks post op and delighted with the care I received. I'm free of crutches now and feel as though I am getting my life back already. Mr Unnithan encouraged me to ask questions and answered them in a frank and kind manner throughout the process building up to and immediately after my operation. I will need revision surgery on my right hip in the future and have no qualms whatever about using Mr Unnithan and Ashford Hospital again.

5th December 2018
Written by a patient at BMI The Runnymede Hospital

Walking alone on the hills above Runnymede, my left foot skidded on some loose material as I was going down a steep hill and shot out from under me. As I sat on the ground, I knew it was not good news. However, I was midway between road access points so made/hobbled my way some kilometre or so home. Three days later, fairly confident that it was something more than the usual torn ligaments, I reported to a walk-in centre. Yes: my ankle and fibula were fractured and there was talk of my going to theatre that afternoon – so I was very relieved to be sent home with just a back slab. And even more relieved when, having been to the trauma clinic three days later, I was sent home with a boot: the CT scan had shown the fracture to be stable. Given the nature of the fracture and my age, conservative treatment was not the obvious way forward but, a week later, Mr Unnithan satisfied himself that, in this instance, it was the appropriate one. At this stage, I switched to seeing him privately, so that I could ensure that he was the consultant with whom I was working. I was fortunate to be able to get physiotherapy treatment promptly and regularly so that, just nine weeks after the original accident, Mr Unnithan was confident that the fracture was completely healed and that he no longer needed to check me out. Had I gone to theatre initially, I would just have been coming out of plaster and beginning rehab! I am deeply in Mr Unnithan’s debt that he had the courage of his convictions to treat me conservatively, so that it is now up to me to ensure that my recovery is as complete as is possible. A very heartfelt “thank you”.

15th November 2018
Written by a patient at BMI The Runnymede Hospital

Mr Unnithan performed surgery on me to fit a plate and stabilisation for a broken collarbone and damaged ligaments. His clear explanation of the options and recommendations pre-op was very reassuring - I had every confidence in his care. He is clearly an excellent surgeon and the operation went well. I have since seen him a number of times for follow up checks and each of these has been handled very professionally but also in a manner that demonstrated a genuine care for my recovery progress. I couldn't recommend him more highly.

Short link to review Mr Ashwin Unnithan: http://iwgc.net/eggm3