Mr Ashwin Unnithan

Mr Unnithan is a Consultant Orthopaedic surgeon with expertise in hip and knee arthroplasty including revision arthroplasty. He completed his specialist surgical training on the South-West London rotation during which time he completed a trauma fellowship in New Zealand. He has undertaken further sub-specialty training with fellowships at the Bristol hip unit and the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital. He has published a number of papers in peer reviewed journals and presented at international meetings in Europe and the US. He was awarded first prize for his presentation at the British Trauma Society meeting in 2014. His specialist clinical interests include Total Hip replacements, Young Total Hip Replacements, Revision Hip replacements, Total Knee Replacements, Unicompartmental knee replacement, Osteotomies, Knee arthroscopy and meniscal repair.

6th October 2017
Written by a patient at St Peter's Hospital

Following a fall in my garden at home I was admitted to St Peter's hospital,Chertsey.Mr Unnithan was assigned as the surgeon to perform the operation to repair my badly damaged hip.On the morning of twhichhe operation he asked to see as many of my family as possible to meet him in the ward when he explained in a clear and sympathetic way the possible serious implications on what was major surgery on a fairly elderly patient. Following the operation Mr Unnithan took great pains to keep an eye on my progress in Swan Ward at St Peter's. He also made himself available for advice outside his professional working hours, which my daughter took advantage of for assurance that her father was really receiving the best care. I cannot speak too highly of the skill and dedication Mr Unnithan has demonstrated nor of the manner in which he has gone out of his way to take such a personal interest in the wellbeing of his patient and in the concerns of the family.

30th September 2017
Written by a patient at St Peter's Hospital

Following a fall in my garden at home I was admitted to St Peter's Hospital Chertsey. Mr Unnithan was asigned as the surgeon to carry out the operation to repair my badly damaged hip.On the morning of the procedure he asked to see as many of my family as possible to meet him in the ward when he explained in a clear and sympathetic way the possible serious implications of what was to be major surgery on a fairly elderly patient. After the operation Mr Unnithan took great pains to check my progress in the Swan ward at ST Peter's. He also made himself available for advice outside his professional working hours which my daughter took advantage of for reassurance that I was really receiving the best care available. I cannot speak too highly of the skill and dedication Mr Unnithan has demonstrated nor of the manner in which he has gone out of his way to take such a personal interest in the wellbeing of his patient and in the concerns of my family.

1st September 2017
Written by a patient at Circle Reading

Felt safe and clear throughout entire procedure. Now pain free. Highly recommend.

20th July 2017
Written by a patient at Circle Reading

The circle reading was fantastic, with my own private room very attentive nurses and kept to a very high standard of cleanliness. The food was to a very high standard and nothing was too much effort. My consultant was amazing showed me the utmost empathy and was very aware of my concerns and made me feel as relaxed as possible explaining the procedure and easing my concerns. I would highly recommend my consultant and circle reading.

13th July 2017
Written by a patient at Circle Reading

From the first meeting with Mr Unnithan I felt completely at ease. He greeted myself and my partner in the foyer of the hospital himself and unbeknown to me at the time , assessed my gait whilst walking to his office. He took the time to listen to me and my problem which was of the utmost importance as I was extremely nervous about what was to come, being told by previous consultants that my condition could worsen with an operation, never anything positive about it. After listening intently to me and my partner, he explained clearly and candidly what he could do, with my co-operation and determination, post op, to work hard on my recovery, he could only see a successful outcome. He also made sure I knew the pitfalls and hid nothing, as I am also diabetic and he was open and frank about complications which could occur. Once I had decided to go ahead, he did not dwell on the negatives and told me to do the same. I went for x-rays (on both knees, as he wanted to see both) and when we returned to his office we discussed them and he said I was definitely a candidate for a new knee. My appointments came through within days and my pre-op checks were dealt with efficiently and promptly. The operation was carried out on a Saturday and my after care was second to none. I went home on Monday with everything necessary to keep me comfortable and all the information I needed to start my rehabilitation. I have had physiotherapy, firstly a one to one, hours session and 10 days later, in a class with six others who had had similar operations. The physiotherapists were very pleased with my progress and I've recently seen Mr Unnithan (6 weeks, post op) who is so pleased with my progress that we discussed the same operation for my other knee in the new year, as they were both as bad. I cannot explain the difference that the operation has made to me, I would recommend Mr Unnithan for pre-care, surgery and after care without hesitation. The Circle in Reading as a hospital, and the team who work with him there are all excellent.

Short link to review Mr Ashwin Unnithan: http://iwgc.net/eggm3