Mr Anthony Dixon

10th February 2019
Written by a patient at Spire Bristol Hospital

I was not warned about complications of erosion of mesh until after the operation when I returned with post op issues.

24th January 2019
Written by a patient at Spire Bristol Hospital

I had first rate care from Mr Dixon. I feel very sorry for those people who have not had outcomes as good as hme. I found his manner excellent, especially when I got to know him. He is quite a character! In 2004 he performed a double mesh implant for an internal prolapse. I had gone through a complex childbirth years ago, and had been in chronic pain for about 5 years up to 2004. He explained in great detail what the problem was, and took me through all the risks associated with this new form of treatment. He did not push me into any particular treatment, but laid out all the information I needed to make a decision.. I do not regret the decision to go ahead. Mr Dixon was very attentive - coming in on the Sunday morning after the op to talk through how it all went. I was then totally pain and symptom free for 12 years until the mesh broke through causing bleeding. I went back to him and he performed another operation to remove the mesh. I had clearly understood from 2004 that this might happen. Since 2016 I have again been pain and symptom free. I do hope Mr Dixon can be allowed to get back into doing what he does so well, and share the views of so many of those who have posted positive comments. When you look at other operations like hip or knee surgery the 'success rates' are much lower than Mr Dixon and it seems unfair that he should be pilloried like this. Also, how will progress be made if you don't have pioneering surgeons with the courage to explore new techniques and try out new materials? Good luck to Mr Dixon - I wish him well.

16th November 2018
Written by a patient at Spire Bristol Hospital

I was sorry to hear about the circumstances of Anthony Dixon’s suspension from surgery. Whilst I have every sympathy with those patients whose procedures didn’t go to plan, I can only speak as I find. Following diagnosis of a femoral hernia, I was referred to Mr Dixon at the Spire Hospital. In the course of a 15 minute interview he had identified an additional inguinal hernia - and that without the use of a scanner! He proposed keyhole surgery and mesh implants. This was completed and has proven to be totally satisfactory – I have had no reason to complain since. I am happy to testify to his skill as a surgeon and subsequent aftercare. I certainly do not recognise the brusque and abrupt manner described by others though he does have a sense of humour, thankfully! I only hope that this unsatisfactory state of affairs is resolved in his favour – I would definitely elect to go to him should a similar condition arise in future

12th November 2018
Written by a carer at Spire Bristol Hospital

Personally I have absolute faith in this man. After 4 years of misdiagnosis, it was Mr Dixon who diagnosed the problem and took on what had developed into an exceptionally difficult SRU and internal prolapse. Deep sympathy for those whose operations were unsuccessful, but this was a man who always had his patients welfare at heart and a pioneer who took on surgery others would shy away from. A brilliant and caring surgeon who has been taken away from the very people who need him most. I can only hope we all soon recognise the gross injustice Mr Dixon has been subject to and his reputation is restored.

9th November 2018
Written by a patient at Frenchay Hospital

I was stage 111 colorectal cancer in 2008. Dr Dixon operated successfully. 2018 scans show no cancer and completely clear of polyps and as a 66 year old am still in employment.. Despite any errors made in other circumstances nobody can deny he is a life saver. Hope he gets a fair hearing and his wealth of experience is not cast aside.

Short link to review Mr Anthony Dixon: http://iwgc.net/edosv