Mr Anthony Dixon

12th April 2019
Written by a patient at Spire Bristol Hospital

I was badly let down by the NHS as I had already undergone all procedures at the BRI to be put forward for a laparoscopy rectoplexy. This was quite a new procedure and only one surgeon was performing it as I understand. I had my pre op and was given drinks and medication to take in the days prior to my operation. All I was waiting for was the date to go ahead. I kept ringing to find out when this would be as I had to make preparations at home as I was the sole carer for my husband who was suffering with dementia. The various secretaries I spoke to kept fobbing me off with excuses, mainly that cancer patients took priority over me. Which I quite agree with. On one occasion I was told that the surgeon had left, and when I enquirer who I was now under I was told my notes were in a box waiting to be decided. Eventually I decided I could wait no longer. I was in such discomfort feeling all my insides were dropping out, and it was so difficult caring for my husband that I contacted The Spire and was put in touch with Mr Dixon. My daughter came with me and from the first meeting with Mr Dixon he treated us with the greatest sympathy and respect. He said no woman should have to put up with the situation I was in and that he could certainly help me. I had the operation almost immediately, and then Dr Dixon took me onto his NHS list and I was under him at Frenchay Hospital for about two years. In all that time I was treated with the greatest respect. I will always be grateful to Dr Dixon as he gave me the health and strength to care for my husband at home without any help from the NHS until he sadly passed away. I have never experienced any pain or after effects of my surgery.

27th March 2019
Written by a patient at Spire Bristol Hospital

Mr Dixon saved my life when another surgeon at The Spire had slit my bowel and not noticed. I shall be eternally grateful to him.

17th March 2019
Written by a patient at Spire Bristol Hospital

I met Mr Dixon in 2016 after I was referred due to a prolapsed bowel. Mr Dixon explained clearly my condition, the options and the risk. He listened and explained again as required. I am sorry for those patients who have experienced difficulties but like others n this form I do hope Mr Dixon can operate again in order that he continues to help the future patients with his pioneering surgery. Yes, he was quirky but I found that put me at ease very easy as he was very easy to talk to and I felt comfortable in asking questions.

10th February 2019
Written by a patient at Spire Bristol Hospital

I was not warned about complications of erosion of mesh until after the operation when I returned with post op issues.

24th January 2019
Written by a patient at Spire Bristol Hospital

I had first rate care from Mr Dixon. I feel very sorry for those people who have not had outcomes as good as hme. I found his manner excellent, especially when I got to know him. He is quite a character! In 2004 he performed a double mesh implant for an internal prolapse. I had gone through a complex childbirth years ago, and had been in chronic pain for about 5 years up to 2004. He explained in great detail what the problem was, and took me through all the risks associated with this new form of treatment. He did not push me into any particular treatment, but laid out all the information I needed to make a decision.. I do not regret the decision to go ahead. Mr Dixon was very attentive - coming in on the Sunday morning after the op to talk through how it all went. I was then totally pain and symptom free for 12 years until the mesh broke through causing bleeding. I went back to him and he performed another operation to remove the mesh. I had clearly understood from 2004 that this might happen. Since 2016 I have again been pain and symptom free. I do hope Mr Dixon can be allowed to get back into doing what he does so well, and share the views of so many of those who have posted positive comments. When you look at other operations like hip or knee surgery the 'success rates' are much lower than Mr Dixon and it seems unfair that he should be pilloried like this. Also, how will progress be made if you don't have pioneering surgeons with the courage to explore new techniques and try out new materials? Good luck to Mr Dixon - I wish him well.

Short link to review Mr Anthony Dixon: http://iwgc.net/edosv