Mr Anthony Dixon

1st June 2019
Written by a carer at Spire Bristol Hospital

In defense of Anthony Dixon I would like to add that my partner who is now an outspoken opponent of him was very happy several years ago when she finally found a surgeon who suggested she could be helped. We did notice he had cheeky sense of humor. He made her laugh. It was obvious that he was a pioneer in his field. That is exactly what other surgeons told her when she had to deal with complications. We did get second opinions and were warned for plastic mesh. They were reluctant to operate, so every time she was obstructed again we traveled to Bristol. After the x-th operation she developed a post-traumatic stress disorder that made her somewhat aggressive. That is reflected in the comments on Mr Dixons behavior. I can only hope the General Medical Council has enough wisdom to acknowledge that a surgeon who gets many problematic cases will not have an average failure rate.

12th April 2019
Written by a patient at Spire Bristol Hospital

I was badly let down by the NHS as I had already undergone all procedures at the BRI to be put forward for a laparoscopy rectoplexy. This was quite a new procedure and only one surgeon was performing it as I understand. I had my pre op and was given drinks and medication to take in the days prior to my operation. All I was waiting for was the date to go ahead. I kept ringing to find out when this would be as I had to make preparations at home as I was the sole carer for my husband who was suffering with dementia. The various secretaries I spoke to kept fobbing me off with excuses, mainly that cancer patients took priority over me. Which I quite agree with. On one occasion I was told that the surgeon had left, and when I enquirer who I was now under I was told my notes were in a box waiting to be decided. Eventually I decided I could wait no longer. I was in such discomfort feeling all my insides were dropping out, and it was so difficult caring for my husband that I contacted The Spire and was put in touch with Mr Dixon. My daughter came with me and from the first meeting with Mr Dixon he treated us with the greatest sympathy and respect. He said no woman should have to put up with the situation I was in and that he could certainly help me. I had the operation almost immediately, and then Dr Dixon took me onto his NHS list and I was under him at Frenchay Hospital for about two years. In all that time I was treated with the greatest respect. I will always be grateful to Dr Dixon as he gave me the health and strength to care for my husband at home without any help from the NHS until he sadly passed away. I have never experienced any pain or after effects of my surgery.

27th March 2019
Written by a patient at Spire Bristol Hospital

Mr Dixon saved my life when another surgeon at The Spire had slit my bowel and not noticed. I shall be eternally grateful to him.

17th March 2019
Written by a patient at Spire Bristol Hospital

I met Mr Dixon in 2016 after I was referred due to a prolapsed bowel. Mr Dixon explained clearly my condition, the options and the risk. He listened and explained again as required. I am sorry for those patients who have experienced difficulties but like others n this form I do hope Mr Dixon can operate again in order that he continues to help the future patients with his pioneering surgery. Yes, he was quirky but I found that put me at ease very easy as he was very easy to talk to and I felt comfortable in asking questions.

10th February 2019
Written by a patient at Spire Bristol Hospital

I was not warned about complications of erosion of mesh until after the operation when I returned with post op issues.

Short link to review Mr Anthony Dixon: http://iwgc.net/edosv