Mr Andrew Port

• Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery

Latest Reviews

8th January 2014
Written by a patient at The James Cook University Hospital

I went to see Mr Port about a replacement hip that was 25 years old and causing me pain.He invited me to sit beside him and explained everything whilst pointing things out on the x rays before us,within minutes I was totally confident in his ability, the hip was revised by him at James Cook 9 months later, to fit in with my plans. I had the operation at 3.00 pm and to my utter amazement walked to the toilet at 10.00pm;the next morning I walked about 100 yards,climbed some stairs and was told I could go home,and I hadn't even got my theatre smock off ! All the time in hospital I never had the slightest twinge of pain.At home I took anti-inflammatorys for about a fortnight to allow me to sleep better.I used two sticks for 5 days,then one stick for another 5 before I was walking unaided.To be quite honest I don't know how they do it,I didn't even have to have any stitches out.I am in my late 60s,the new hip has now been in 16 months and causes me no bother. Not only Mr Port but all his team that I have met are brilliant and I consider myself very lucky to have had them and the modern technology they use. The only thing I would have liked to have had is something printed to take home on discharge,do's and don'ts, and especially symptoms of a blood clot. When I was a boy in the 50s my grandmother lived with us,she spent most of the day in bed after snapping the head off her femur in late mid life,nothing in those days could be done,she was in constant pain and immobile for the rest of her life,believe me we are very lucky to live in this age.

Short link to review Mr Andrew Port: