Mr Amar Jain

• Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery

24th February 2016
Written by a patient at Ninewells Hospital

Unfortunately I had a very bad experience with Mr Jain. The whole consultation was terrible from beginning to end. I was waiting in a consulting room to see him, and as he walked in he didn't acknowledge me or introduce himself, and his first words were "What's your problem? You got pain??" I only knew he was the consultant because of his ID card but I wouldn't have known otherwise and he could have been anyone. He had the wrong patients X-rays up on the screen and I pointed this out and he sighed like I was the one who made the mistake and then changed to mine. At this point he walked out of the room without saying anything and came back a few minutes later, and didn't apologise or mention anything at all. He then said the only treatment would be an ankle fusion, I asked about any future effects of this surgery and he said if it was done properly by him there would be absolutely no side effects, and no progression of arthritis in the surrounding joints (this is false as shown by many many studies). He then walked out again, and 5 minutes later I looked out and saw him dictating something and he just gestured for me to leave, but didn't say anything. I understand that it is a busy clinic (there were lots of people waiting), but surely at least introducing who you are would be standard procedure? And saying goodbye, and at least letting me know the consultation has ended? I did complain to the trust. I hope something is at least mentioned, though I know he has published a lot of research etc, so I am sure he is probably a good surgeon, but basic communication skills are very lacking!

Short link to review Mr Amar Jain: http://iwgc.net/egbv