Mr Alwyn Abraham

Mr Abraham is a Consultant Trauma and Paediatric (Childrens) Orthopaedic Surgeon based at Leicester Royal Infirmary. Mr Abraham has trained in Newcastle and at the Booth Hall Childrens Hospital in Manchester. Prior to that he was a medical student in Edinburgh where he also completed his junior training. Mr Abraham’s clinical practice consists of both adult and paediatric trauma with particular expertise in circular frame fixation for complex peri-articular fractures, non union and infection.

• Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery

9th December 2017
Written by a carer at The Leicester Nuffield Hospital

I took my 14 year old son to see Mr Abraham following problems with his knee over a period of time. I really liked the way he spoke directly to my son about his problems and when he suggested that his condition was related to cognitive behaviour I thought my son may think he was making it up. However, the explanations that Mr Abraham gave him assured him that he wasn't and a recommendation of cognitive behaviour therapy was advised. We followed this up, as suggested, with some physiotherapy and after a week started to see improvements. A month of physiotherapy and he was discharged and is now back to doing sports with no problems at all. People underestimate cognitive behaviour therapy but it really makes sense and is well worth looking into some more. I will definitely be recommending that people look into CBT as a way of treating some conditions.

24th November 2017
Written by a patient at The Leicester Royal Infirmary

Mr Abraham understood my condition perfectly and suggested a treatment that the other doctors didn’t offer to carry out. He carried out three surgeries and kept me and my parents informed throughout. Two years on, my self-confidence has improved a lot thanks to Mr Abraham and my condition doesn’t affect my life anywhere near as much as it used to. I’m really grateful for everything Mr Abraham has done and I’d definitely recommend him to anyone.

26th October 2017
Written by a member of staff at The Leicester Royal Infirmary

I worked in Leicester Royal Infirmary in trauma and Orthopaedics department for 8 months where Mr Abraham is one of the consultants. Having the first job in UK, I was not only anxious before starting it but also found a whole new system of NHS more overwhelming. But Mr Abraham always was very encouraging and supportive using his leadership qualities. He was incharge of foreign doctors like myself and fulfilled this responsibility with great honesty. He appreciated our skills and corrected our mistakes in most effective and positive ways. From my interview day till the last day in LRI, he supervised our duties and clinical skills and always directed us right for our future endeavours. He can be a role model for every doctor who aspires to make a career in Orthopaedics.

15th September 2017
Written by a patient at The Leicester Royal Infirmary

I met Mr Abraham and his team over a year ago after trip in flip flops caused a very nasty compound open fracture. I believed I would be placed in a cast and sent home! Little did I know Mr Abraham was honest from the very onset of my recovery, he was open honest and approachable, he explained the reasons as to why I couldn't just stick a plaster on it and move on in language that I understood no big words no medical jargon ... this helped me come to terms with the fact I would remain in hospital for weeks and I would need to undergo a number of surgerys. More importantly to me he talked to me as 'Andrea' not just another patient. A year on a four surgerys later I am now back at work , driving and living my life my leg will never be the same but having him as my surgeon has helped me accept how to adapt and move forward. I would not wish any one to injure their self but if they ever found them selves in my position I hope it is Mr Abraham that walks over to introduce himself as their surgeon.

1st March 2017
Written by a patient at The Leicester Royal Infirmary

A year ago to the day I badly broke my leg and shattered my knee in a cycling accident. In seconds I went from being a carefree fit retiree looking forward to a holiday to sitting in the road with what I knew was a potentially life changing injury. I was initially dealt with efficiently and kindly by the Ambulance Service and LRI A and E but knew that I was in really safe and professional hands on first meeting Mr Abraham the morning after my accident. Mr Abraham was clear from the outset that my injury was serious, that the treatment would be by external fixator and that he would expect me to have 90% function after a year. I knew when my operation was scheduled for before he left the room and he had already sussed that I liked to be fit and was motivated to get well. He was interested both in my injury and in me as a person. All of my consultations with Mr Abraham were like this. I was encouraged to ask questions regarding my treatment and recovery and I always felt he was genuinely pleased by my progress which made me want to progress further. An external fixator is not all that much fun but Mr Abraham was clear from the start that this was the best method of treatment and with regards to the hazards such as infection he made sure that I knew what to look out for and to do. He gave me the permission to attend the hospital if I had any doubts about possible problems, he empowered me at a time when I felt vulnerable. My fixator was removed after 4 months just as he said it would be and I was discharged from his clinic after 7 months. I am back doing all the gym classes that I did previously and walking the legs of my friends with no limp. The only thing that Mr Abraham was wrong about was that he would have me back on a bike in a year, I did it in 5 months. I could not have got any more professional and human treatment if I had paid millions for it and it came courtesy of our brilliant NHS. I am eternally grateful to Mr Abraham and all of his team at the LRI.

Short link to review Mr Alwyn Abraham: http://iwgc.net/ee6rb