Mr Alwyn Abraham

Mr Abraham is a Consultant Trauma and Paediatric (Childrens) Orthopaedic Surgeon based at Leicester Royal Infirmary. Mr Abraham has trained in Newcastle and at the Booth Hall Childrens Hospital in Manchester. Prior to that he was a medical student in Edinburgh where he also completed his junior training. Mr Abraham’s clinical practice consists of both adult and paediatric trauma with particular expertise in circular frame fixation for complex peri-articular fractures, non union and infection.

• Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery

1st April 2016
Written by a carer at The Leicester Nuffield Hospital

I took my daughter to see Mr Abraham because she was experiencing considerable leg pain which was preventing her sleeping and had started to keep her off school. He examined her, asked questions and listened and then spoke in a direct (and kind) way to say that the pain she was experiencing was out of proportion to anything that might be wrong with her leg. Unsurprisingly, she did not like this, but she did accept it and it led to a series of conversations with me and substantial progress. I think Mr Abraham's manner was important - both reassuring and confidence inspiring - and his directness meant that the message was not muddied in any way. I also think it was extremely important that she heard it directly from him rather than second hand from me.

25th February 2016
Written by a patient at The Leicester Royal Infirmary

i was under Mr. Abraham's care for a month as an inpatient and subsequently as an Outpatient for a bimalleolar fracture and dislocation injury. I had three operations during that time . I found Mr Abraham to be a thoughtful and clear communicator especially in describing treatment options and the reasons for them. He was an excellent listener to one's more specific concerns re managing eg non weight bearing in one's own environment etc. He was calm , humerous and approachable which supported his evident high level of clinical skills, professionalism and caring. I was very pleased with the care received from the inpatient, theatre and A&E staff during my stay as well.

23rd August 2015
Written by a carer at The Leicester Royal Infirmary

Mr Abraham was a ray of light amongst a dark fog in a time of need. He was very understanding, supportive and gave great advice when he could easily and understandably have ignored our call for help. My 3 year old son had a supercondular fracture from a trampoline fall on 10th August and emerency surgery the following morning in Worthing General. A week later (but a week earlier than originally planned thanks to my wife's persistence in getting an appointment in a full clinic) it was found the operation wasn't successful and he required further surgery. We were told he would be treated as an emergency case and dealt with quickly but Worthing didn't have the skills to do the job. The referral to Brighton was chaotic and as a result we didn't see anyone until Friday afternoon.. Even then no notes/films were sent. The consultant couldn't see my son until 'maybe' the following Thursday (well over two weeks since the original injury) and this wasn't guaranteed as he had a full list. My wife and I got on the phone to try and find anyone who could help my son. Mr Abraham called back Friday evening and was unequivocal that my son should have been dealt with immediately after Worthing finding that the operation was a failure. He should have been re-admitted as an emergency case and dealt with as a priority. He suggested going to Southampton as they have a great paediatric unit to see if they could help. We did and they did and it's now Sunday afternoon and my son is back in one piece. Aside from this he said if this wasn't successful then we could go to Leicester Sunday night and he would have been dealt with on Monday by either him or a colleague. We cannot thank Mr Abraham enough for the support. He went well over and above the call of duty. It's comforting that there are people out there who do this for the health of people like my 3 year old boy and don't get caught up in the politics and beaurocracy of the NHS.

30th June 2015
Written by a patient at The Leicester Royal Infirmary

i have been a patient of Mr Abraham for over a year following an operation to correct a lower limb length discrepancy. From our first meeting he listened to my needs and symptoms, he quickly confirmed that surgery would be the best course of action to correct the problem. he explained the procedure in length and left me with no questions unanswered. he has been a true professional through out and provides a personal and supportive service at a daunting time pre and post operation. following my operation he has been in contact many times and my progress was reviewed regularly and i have always been able to get in to contact promptly. over all a great service that far exceeded my expectations.

30th March 2015
Written by a patient at The Leicester Royal Infirmary

I am a long term disabled male aged 67 and following an RTA in 1971 I lost my left arm and lower left leg and incurred 40% 3rd degree burns. After 40 years with little problems my left knee, stiff since the RTA, it collapsed. A large ulcer, which refused to heal, became a problem on that knee. I was admitted to the LRI and the most likely outcome was the amputation of my left leg above the knee. I consulted a prosthetics Doctor and he predicted that an above knee amputation with the lack of left arm, my general condition and age would result in very limited, if any, walking and a life mostly wheelchair bound. With a bleak future I met Mr. Alwyn Abraham who explained that there was a procedure he could perform that might retain the leg but he was reluctant to engage in this long term and complicated process without a lot of checking into the viability of the process. After several tests Mr. Abraham explained his proposed procedure would possibly take two and a half years and asked for my commitment before he would proceed. Once given, not only did I receive his expertise but also the support of his team. I was kept up-to-date with the different processes and he even intervened on my behalf when hospital bed space became critical and I was imminently to be prematurely discharged. He ensured my recovery and care was paramount. He was that person who put in the extra mile. Less than two years later I am walking with the aid of a stick and Mr. Abraham has signed me off from his care. I will miss my friendly outpatient visits, but not the waiting for attention and ambulance travel which have been the downside of the treatment period. The care and concern shown by Mr. Abraham’s team was exceptional whilst in attendance but too much time would appear to be wasted waiting for procedures to be commenced. Once a procedure was started support and forward motion could not be faulted but weeks were wasted due to holidays, not just Mr. Abraham’s but called in specialists were unavailable and then, the lack of theatre availability!. These long intervals must be an area that is addressable within the hospital administration, it’s not just addressable to the NHS scapegoat as a service, rather to local ‘on the spot’ failures.

Short link to review Mr Alwyn Abraham: http://iwgc.net/ee6rb