Mr Alwyn Abraham

Mr Abraham is a Consultant Trauma and Paediatric (Childrens) Orthopaedic Surgeon based at Leicester Royal Infirmary. Mr Abraham has trained in Newcastle and at the Booth Hall Childrens Hospital in Manchester. Prior to that he was a medical student in Edinburgh where he also completed his junior training. Mr Abraham’s clinical practice consists of both adult and paediatric trauma with particular expertise in circular frame fixation for complex peri-articular fractures, non union and infection.

• Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery

1st March 2017
Written by a patient at The Leicester Royal Infirmary

A year ago to the day I badly broke my leg and shattered my knee in a cycling accident. In seconds I went from being a carefree fit retiree looking forward to a holiday to sitting in the road with what I knew was a potentially life changing injury. I was initially dealt with efficiently and kindly by the Ambulance Service and LRI A and E but knew that I was in really safe and professional hands on first meeting Mr Abraham the morning after my accident. Mr Abraham was clear from the outset that my injury was serious, that the treatment would be by external fixator and that he would expect me to have 90% function after a year. I knew when my operation was scheduled for before he left the room and he had already sussed that I liked to be fit and was motivated to get well. He was interested both in my injury and in me as a person. All of my consultations with Mr Abraham were like this. I was encouraged to ask questions regarding my treatment and recovery and I always felt he was genuinely pleased by my progress which made me want to progress further. An external fixator is not all that much fun but Mr Abraham was clear from the start that this was the best method of treatment and with regards to the hazards such as infection he made sure that I knew what to look out for and to do. He gave me the permission to attend the hospital if I had any doubts about possible problems, he empowered me at a time when I felt vulnerable. My fixator was removed after 4 months just as he said it would be and I was discharged from his clinic after 7 months. I am back doing all the gym classes that I did previously and walking the legs of my friends with no limp. The only thing that Mr Abraham was wrong about was that he would have me back on a bike in a year, I did it in 5 months. I could not have got any more professional and human treatment if I had paid millions for it and it came courtesy of our brilliant NHS. I am eternally grateful to Mr Abraham and all of his team at the LRI.

1st April 2016
Written by a carer at The Leicester Nuffield Hospital

I took my daughter to see Mr Abraham because she was experiencing considerable leg pain which was preventing her sleeping and had started to keep her off school. He examined her, asked questions and listened and then spoke in a direct (and kind) way to say that the pain she was experiencing was out of proportion to anything that might be wrong with her leg. Unsurprisingly, she did not like this, but she did accept it and it led to a series of conversations with me and substantial progress. I think Mr Abraham's manner was important - both reassuring and confidence inspiring - and his directness meant that the message was not muddied in any way. I also think it was extremely important that she heard it directly from him rather than second hand from me.

25th February 2016
Written by a patient at The Leicester Royal Infirmary

i was under Mr. Abraham's care for a month as an inpatient and subsequently as an Outpatient for a bimalleolar fracture and dislocation injury. I had three operations during that time . I found Mr Abraham to be a thoughtful and clear communicator especially in describing treatment options and the reasons for them. He was an excellent listener to one's more specific concerns re managing eg non weight bearing in one's own environment etc. He was calm , humerous and approachable which supported his evident high level of clinical skills, professionalism and caring. I was very pleased with the care received from the inpatient, theatre and A&E staff during my stay as well.

23rd August 2015
Written by a carer at The Leicester Royal Infirmary

Mr Abraham was a ray of light amongst a dark fog in a time of need. He was very understanding, supportive and gave great advice when he could easily and understandably have ignored our call for help. My 3 year old son had a supercondular fracture from a trampoline fall on 10th August and emerency surgery the following morning in Worthing General. A week later (but a week earlier than originally planned thanks to my wife's persistence in getting an appointment in a full clinic) it was found the operation wasn't successful and he required further surgery. We were told he would be treated as an emergency case and dealt with quickly but Worthing didn't have the skills to do the job. The referral to Brighton was chaotic and as a result we didn't see anyone until Friday afternoon.. Even then no notes/films were sent. The consultant couldn't see my son until 'maybe' the following Thursday (well over two weeks since the original injury) and this wasn't guaranteed as he had a full list. My wife and I got on the phone to try and find anyone who could help my son. Mr Abraham called back Friday evening and was unequivocal that my son should have been dealt with immediately after Worthing finding that the operation was a failure. He should have been re-admitted as an emergency case and dealt with as a priority. He suggested going to Southampton as they have a great paediatric unit to see if they could help. We did and they did and it's now Sunday afternoon and my son is back in one piece. Aside from this he said if this wasn't successful then we could go to Leicester Sunday night and he would have been dealt with on Monday by either him or a colleague. We cannot thank Mr Abraham enough for the support. He went well over and above the call of duty. It's comforting that there are people out there who do this for the health of people like my 3 year old boy and don't get caught up in the politics and beaurocracy of the NHS.

30th June 2015
Written by a patient at The Leicester Royal Infirmary

i have been a patient of Mr Abraham for over a year following an operation to correct a lower limb length discrepancy. From our first meeting he listened to my needs and symptoms, he quickly confirmed that surgery would be the best course of action to correct the problem. he explained the procedure in length and left me with no questions unanswered. he has been a true professional through out and provides a personal and supportive service at a daunting time pre and post operation. following my operation he has been in contact many times and my progress was reviewed regularly and i have always been able to get in to contact promptly. over all a great service that far exceeded my expectations.

Short link to review Mr Alwyn Abraham: http://iwgc.net/ee6rb