Mr Alan Osborne

Upper GI & Bariatric Surgeon

4th March 2017
Written by a patient at Southmead Hospital

I was referred to Mr Osborne after I was diagnosed with gallstones and removal of my gallbladder was recommended. As a registered nurse, I found the idea of surgery and the possible side effects afterwards absolutely terrifying, because I knew what could go wrong. Mr Osborne listened to me, understood my fears and suggested a way forward. He was very clear with me that surgery was inevitable, but that it could go on hold for a period of time and I felt that together, we devised a plan which we were both happy with - open outpatients appointment for 12 months alongside the agreement that no other surgeon would be involved in my care. This enabled me to build up trust in Mr Osborne, which was incredibly important and gave me enough control to believe that the decision I was making, in going ahead with surgery, was the right decision for me. This was partnership working with patients at it's very best, so thank you, Mr Osborne.

13th November 2016
Written by a patient at Southmead Hospital

I came to Mr Osborne by ambulance from The Spire after surgery I had done privately on y abdomen and hernia had gone wrong. He immediately recognised what the issue was and that I was in a lot of trouble. He arranged for emergency surgery and explained clearly what the risks of the operation were. I felt completely confident in his care and trusted him to do whatever needed doing. The after care was fantastic and Mr Osborne and his team made sure I was well informed on progress and what to expect - good and bad. I felt he was honest and caring. He even said that he would come back from his holiday over the half term if I took a backwards turn and needed him. I feel confident that he will continue to help me through my recovery. I am so grateful to him for looking after me.

3rd June 2015
Written by a member of staff at Southmead Hospital

An excellent surgeon that values the importance of a multidisciplinary team approach to patient care.

Short link to review Mr Alan Osborne: http://iwgc.net/efr4q