Mr Alan Norrish

Alan Norrish started his medical education at the University of London in 1991. He was awarded a scholarship to transfer to University of Cambridgeto enter the MB PhD program. This was a further five years of study and he was awarded the medical degrees of MB BChir, where he gained a distinction and the doctorate PhD for his research into resistance to infection and gene therapy. Alan Norrish also has an interest in Medical Ethics and the Law. He was awarded a Master of Laws (LLM) degree, with distinction, in legal aspects of medical practice from Cardiff University in 2007. He regularly acts as an expert witness for the courts. Alan Norrish qualified as a Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon in 2007 and has practiced as a consultant since then, performing over 5000 operations. He has a strong interest in charity work and since 2007 has spent 3 years doing full-time charity work in Zambia, the Middle East and Afghanistan. He is currently invovled in an Addenbrooke's Abroad project in Myanmar and has been making regular trips there to help train local surgeons. Alan Norrish has a subspeciality interest in lower limb (hip and knee) surgery. He has had subspecialty training in sports knee surgery such as ligament reconstruction and meniscus surgery as well as adult reconstructive surgery such as hip and knee replacement surgery. Another significant area of his practice is in limb reconstruction after trauma or deformity and also the management of orthopaedic infections. He has significant experience in managing complex trauma and patients with multiple injuries. In 2010, Alan Norrish was appointed as a Consultant Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgeon at Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, where he performs the full range of elective sports knee surgery, hip and knee replacement surgery as well as complex trauma surgery on the lower limb. He continues to do research into these areas and to date has over 60 publications and presentations to learned bodies.

• Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery

7th September 2017
Written by a patient at Addenbrooke's Hospital

Very good surgeon, 3 days after the op not my favorite person, but now definitely the best!

6th September 2017
Written by a patient at Nuffield Hospital Cambridge

From my very first meeting with Mr Norrish, I found him an excellent and sensitive listener. He was very willing to treat me as an individual and work with me and my particular situation. Before carrying out surgery to replace my arthritic hip, Mr Norrish first explored other options with me, with the hope of delaying surgery for as long as possible - this included shock absorbing insoles and steroid and durolane injections. These were helpful for a few months and enabled me to enjoy my son's wedding, without pain. I appreciated this very much. Once it became clear that the pain had returned and that surgery would be needed, Mr Norrish explained what would happen, during surgery and during the recovery period, in a very clear and very understandable way, allaying any fears I might have. I knew I was in good hands and had great confidence in his skills as a surgeon. So it has proved. 18 months on, the surgery has proved hugely successful. I am free of pain, have excellent mobility and am able to renew my delight in hill walking, sailing and gardening, which give me such pleasure and relaxation. Life is back to normal. I am so very, very, grateful to Mr Norrish for his care and skill. A hue thank you.

5th June 2017
Written by a patient at Spire Cambridge Lea Hospital

I was very comfortable in his company.

22nd May 2017
Written by a patient at Addenbrooke's Hospital

I Can not thank Mr Norrish enough, he has replaced my right hip and am waiting for a date for the left hip, he has always been very informative, all his staff are amazing, the care I have received was first class.

10th May 2017
Written by a patient at Addenbrooke's Hospital

I came to be under the care of Mr Norrish after I was experiencing difficulties with getting specialist input at a different organisation. Upon recommendation and from excellent reviews I was refered to his department. He instantly took over my case and I was seen and given a treatment plan very soon. He was very the thorough with his investigations and I was given a clear surgical and medical plan whilst taking my personal circumstances in to account. At every time I came into contact with Mr Norrish he was always professional & friendly. He gave clear explanations to keep me informed and would always make efforts to ensure and follow up that I recieved relevant information. He has been consistently considerate of my emotions pre and post op and has given great advice on how to maintain my own physical and mental wellbeing following surgery. My life was placed in his hands and through his experience, knowledge and breadth of skills he was able to lead my complex case that other specialists nationally were not able to. If you want a good experience then he is the man to see.

Short link to review Mr Alan Norrish: http://iwgc.net/efl2f