Mr Adam Farquharson

Mr Adam Farquharson is a Consultant Colorectal Surgeon at Shrewsbury and Telford Hospital NHS Trust (SaTH) having graduated from the University of Sheffield and completing higher surgical training in the Yorkshire and the Humber Deanery. He has a specialist interest in laparoscopic colorectal surgery including colorectal cancer, single incision laparoscopic surgery (SILS), pelvic floor dysfunction (including faecal incontinence. obstructive defecation syndrome and rectal prolapse) and complex anal fistulas. He also has a general, emergency and colorectal cancer surgery practice incorporating the management of proctology including haemorrhoids, anal fistula and anal fissure. He undertook a specialist laparoscopic colorectal Fellowship at Concord Repatriation General Hospital in Sydney, Australia (2012-13). Mr Farquharson is the current Royal College of Surgeons of England Surgical Tutor for SaTH, regional educational lead (HEE WM) and a core member of the Pelvic Floor multidisciplinary team.

3rd September 2018
Written by a patient at Royal Shrewsbury Hospital

As someone aged 68 years who had not hitherto had a serious illness in their entire life, and never been inside a hospital, it is difficult not to become quite emotional about the skills and sheer humanity of a surgeon who heads up a team which has given my family and me the prospect of their Grandpa's life stretching beyond three score years and ten. After an appointment with my GP on Friday 4th May, I was told an appointment would be made to see a consultant within 2 weeks, this became just 3 days. The following Monday was a Bank Holiday, but on the Tuesday Mr Farquharson's Secretary rang to say I could see him on Wednesday morning. I saw him without waiting, he examined me and gave me a letter and directions to walk through the hospital corridors to book a colonoscopy. The colonoscopy was two weeks later during the evening, but on examination I was told straight away I probably had colon cancer . This was on 23 May. After a series of phone calls I was given a CT scan on Bank Holiday Sunday afternoon in Shrewsbury and an MRI scan at Telford the following Wednesday. Mr Farquharson's Secretary then arranged an appointment to see him at Telford on Monday evening. He very calmly and in a completely reassuring manner explained all the results to hand to my wife and myself. When I asked what options I had for treatment he simply told us I was coming in for surgery a week on Friday and he would remove the cancer. I cannot explain how reassuring his certainty and matter-of-fact manner was to us, especially when he added that he would expect me to be fit for discharge after 3-5 days. I was so elated I forgot to have a moan about the £3 parking charge. A meeting with Mr F's. colorectal nurse specialists reiterated what would happen during surgery and afterwards, with the support we could draw on in recovery. During Pre-surgical assessment in Shrewsbury on the Monday before surgery, the team picked up a possible heart murmur. Again, the speed of action to book an echo-cardiogram at Telford was amazing, Telford rang the results through to Shrewsbury to say surgery could proceed and they rang me to reassure me, all within 2 hours. It is difficult to express my gratitude at this efficiency and the sense of confidence it conveys to someone under the stress of a cancer diagnosis. On the morning of the surgery Mr Farquharson met me at 7.30 and was thorough in explaining everything which would happen. I met the anaesthetist who basically told me the heart issue and blood pressure would not be a problem. I continued to feel calm and parted company with my wife, with Mr F. telling us he would phone her as soon as possible after surgery. Mr Farquharson came onto the ward in the afternoon to explain that the surgery had gone well, a stoma and bag had not been necessary and the colon had been sealed. .A total of 16 lymph nodes had been removed for examination. When my wife arrived she was so glad to have been phoned by Mr.F. immediately after the surgery. Medical schools can teach anatomy and surgical procedures but they cannot place into the individual personality the special something that conveys to patients "this guy is on your side and really cares about what happens to you". I also cannot speak highly enough for the care on the colorectal ward 27 at RSH. The nursing care was wonderful, dealing professionally with patients who were often very poorly, treating them with dignity and keeping a sense of humour under pressure. Finally, my most abiding memory of the 10 days I spent in hospital, was at 8am on the Wednesday after surgery, when sitting in my chair dozing, Mr Farquharson appeared before me as if by stealth, in his tracksuit, and very simply said "I have been into my office and your results are back, lymph nodes are clear, the cancer has gone, no chemo"... No formality, just checked his post and straight onto the ward to tell me. Back from first follow up appointment today, as self-effacing as usual, Mr Farquharson explained 5 year surveillance. He is a man with outstanding professional skills, supported by the pyramid of an outstanding team, all delivered within an environment where people matter. We are not supposed to get this level of service from our harassed NHS. I realise I have been lucky in meeting Mr Farquharson and his team, perhaps our politicians can enhance their endeavours by listening to what they need and get away from trying to apply accountancy limitations to what is at its best a service which meets people's needs.

3rd September 2018
Written by a patient at Royal Shrewsbury Hospital

I have had more than one operation in my life but when it comes to colorectal surgery you want your surgeon to be good at what he does. If I ever have problems in the future I would not see any one else. Mr Farquharson has changed my life. I was so scared about the outcome of my operation but he put me at ease and explained things to me in full. I was still worried before I had the operation but I knew as soon as I came out of surgery I was so much better. Six weeks down the line I am a very happy patient who received such excellent care from my consultant, I want to shout from the roof tops... if anyone is scared to be referred for colorectal surgery, don't be. The NHS offers patient choice and you can ask to see the consultant you prefer.

27th June 2018
Written by a patient at Royal Shrewsbury Hospital

Following a consultation with Mr Farquharson he advised me that a LVMR would be the only effective procedure to alleviate my current problem. Although I was initially reticent at first, he went to great pains to explain all the pros and cons of the operation and the potential long term benefits it would have. Throughout the whole process to the conclusion of the postoperative care I could not fault any aspect of my treatment not only from the wonderful Mr Farquharson, but from all the medical staff also. I am now fully recovered from this operation and the benefits are immense. Should you have to go down the same route as I was advised then you can be rest assured that you are in the best possible hands with this team always.

20th March 2018
Written by a patient at Royal Shrewsbury Hospital

Rushed into Accident and emergency on the 13 February 2018 with terrible Pain in my Bowels at 0530 having been in pain since 02.00 the emergency team had very little to go on to ascertain my condition! until i stated that i had a appendices operation some 5 years earlier, they did a CT Scan which revealed that i had a twisted Bowel, something like a hosepipe that was stopping the blood going to the vital parts of the bowel, It was decided that an emergency operation was needed to rectify the situation and to put it bluntly save my life as it was stated i had only hours left to live, Mr farquharson was wonderful! he explained to pros and con of the surgery the risks and the possible outcome, and that i may not be as fit as i had been i the past ensuring me that he would do his best to give me the best possible out comes for my age of 72 years , he explained that he would cut away the dead parts where the blood had failed to flow, Immediately i felt confidant in Mr Farquharson, as he reassured me he would do his best for me and my family, thankfully the outcome was wonderful, Mr Farquharson had given me back my life so that i can now enjoy the coming years that are laid out before me with members of my friends and family, Mr Farquharson even took the trouble to phone my dear wife and explained the successful outcome of the surgery which i am truly grateful for,

16th March 2018
Written by a carer at Royal Shrewsbury Hospital

MR Adam Farquharson, what can you say about this brilliant consultant very caring and attention to detail at every stage of my wife,s treatment right up to the day of her operation put us both at ease including introducing her to the anaesthetist before her operation which was complicated due to her previous operations, after the operation it was nice of him to give us a call to let me know that everything had gone well,very thoughtful and the recovery was amazing cant thank him enough or his team. I am sure that the way he and his team handled the whole operation helped my wife no end and would not hesitate to recommend Mr Farquharson to any one contemplating surgery, once again many thanks for excellent care and attention. Peter Buck, Christine Bucks husband.

Short link to review Mr Adam Farquharson: http://iwgc.net/egam4