Mr Adam Farquharson

Mr Adam Farquharson is a Consultant Colorectal Surgeon at Shrewsbury and Telford Hospital NHS Trust (SaTH) having graduated from the University of Sheffield and completing higher surgical training in the Yorkshire and the Humber Deanery. He has a specialist interest in laparoscopic colorectal surgery including colorectal cancer, single incision laparoscopic surgery (SILS), pelvic floor dysfunction (including faecal incontinence. obstructive defecation syndrome and rectal prolapse) and complex anal fistulas. He also has a general, emergency and colorectal cancer surgery practice incorporating the management of proctology including haemorrhoids, anal fistula and anal fissure. He undertook a specialist laparoscopic colorectal Fellowship at Concord Repatriation General Hospital in Sydney, Australia (2012-13). Mr Farquharson is the current Royal College of Surgeons of England Surgical Tutor for SaTH, regional educational lead (HEE WM) and a core member of the Pelvic Floor multidisciplinary team.

14th February 2019
Written by a patient at Royal Shrewsbury Hospital

My wife and I would like to give our sincere thanks to Mr Farquharson and his Colorectal Team for the amazing care and treatment I received during my recent surgery for colon cancer. My appointments with Mr Farquharson were made very relaxed and we both felt he helped me to achieve a remarkable recovery. I am now being treated at the Lingen Davies Centre for chemotherapy the care given there is also exceptional. We wish there was not so much unnecessary criticism made about the NHS and our 2 amazing hospitals in Shropshire, the wonderful staff and that the care they provide was appreciated more. Many thanks David and Sandra Mitchell

10th February 2019
Written by a patient at Royal Shrewsbury Hospital

I was admitted to the royal shrewsbury hospital under the care of Mr A Farquharson with acute complicated sigmoid diverticulitis, He explained everything to me his bedside manner was wonderful, he told me that i would be going theatre and to expect to have a stoma, Lucky for me he was able to perform a laparoscopy to identify the collection and drain this with a washout, You can imagine how thrilled i was, at the outcome, I wish to thank Mr Farquharson for his dedication and professional skills in his work, Oh by the way he has a wonderful handshake, Very Many Thanks Maureen Jones, Patient No 320599.

9th January 2019
Written by a patient at Royal Shrewsbury Hospital

Straightforward and competent. He and the hospital did what they said they would. Promptly and efficiently.

7th January 2019
Written by a patient at Royal Shrewsbury Hospital

Consultant saw me several times whilst I was a patient for 7 days in hospital and was very encouraging when I visited his clinic post operation. I felt completely at ease with him. When first diagnosed with bowel cancer he operated within 7 days of my consultation with him.

3rd September 2018
Written by a patient at Royal Shrewsbury Hospital

As someone aged 68 years who had not hitherto had a serious illness in their entire life, and never been inside a hospital, it is difficult not to become quite emotional about the skills and sheer humanity of a surgeon who heads up a team which has given my family and me the prospect of their Grandpa's life stretching beyond three score years and ten. After an appointment with my GP on Friday 4th May, I was told an appointment would be made to see a consultant within 2 weeks, this became just 3 days. The following Monday was a Bank Holiday, but on the Tuesday Mr Farquharson's Secretary rang to say I could see him on Wednesday morning. I saw him without waiting, he examined me and gave me a letter and directions to walk through the hospital corridors to book a colonoscopy. The colonoscopy was two weeks later during the evening, but on examination I was told straight away I probably had colon cancer . This was on 23 May. After a series of phone calls I was given a CT scan on Bank Holiday Sunday afternoon in Shrewsbury and an MRI scan at Telford the following Wednesday. Mr Farquharson's Secretary then arranged an appointment to see him at Telford on Monday evening. He very calmly and in a completely reassuring manner explained all the results to hand to my wife and myself. When I asked what options I had for treatment he simply told us I was coming in for surgery a week on Friday and he would remove the cancer. I cannot explain how reassuring his certainty and matter-of-fact manner was to us, especially when he added that he would expect me to be fit for discharge after 3-5 days. I was so elated I forgot to have a moan about the £3 parking charge. A meeting with Mr F's. colorectal nurse specialists reiterated what would happen during surgery and afterwards, with the support we could draw on in recovery. During Pre-surgical assessment in Shrewsbury on the Monday before surgery, the team picked up a possible heart murmur. Again, the speed of action to book an echo-cardiogram at Telford was amazing, Telford rang the results through to Shrewsbury to say surgery could proceed and they rang me to reassure me, all within 2 hours. It is difficult to express my gratitude at this efficiency and the sense of confidence it conveys to someone under the stress of a cancer diagnosis. On the morning of the surgery Mr Farquharson met me at 7.30 and was thorough in explaining everything which would happen. I met the anaesthetist who basically told me the heart issue and blood pressure would not be a problem. I continued to feel calm and parted company with my wife, with Mr F. telling us he would phone her as soon as possible after surgery. Mr Farquharson came onto the ward in the afternoon to explain that the surgery had gone well, a stoma and bag had not been necessary and the colon had been sealed. .A total of 16 lymph nodes had been removed for examination. When my wife arrived she was so glad to have been phoned by Mr.F. immediately after the surgery. Medical schools can teach anatomy and surgical procedures but they cannot place into the individual personality the special something that conveys to patients "this guy is on your side and really cares about what happens to you". I also cannot speak highly enough for the care on the colorectal ward 27 at RSH. The nursing care was wonderful, dealing professionally with patients who were often very poorly, treating them with dignity and keeping a sense of humour under pressure. Finally, my most abiding memory of the 10 days I spent in hospital, was at 8am on the Wednesday after surgery, when sitting in my chair dozing, Mr Farquharson appeared before me as if by stealth, in his tracksuit, and very simply said "I have been into my office and your results are back, lymph nodes are clear, the cancer has gone, no chemo"... No formality, just checked his post and straight onto the ward to tell me. Back from first follow up appointment today, as self-effacing as usual, Mr Farquharson explained 5 year surveillance. He is a man with outstanding professional skills, supported by the pyramid of an outstanding team, all delivered within an environment where people matter. We are not supposed to get this level of service from our harassed NHS. I realise I have been lucky in meeting Mr Farquharson and his team, perhaps our politicians can enhance their endeavours by listening to what they need and get away from trying to apply accountancy limitations to what is at its best a service which meets people's needs.

Short link to review Mr Adam Farquharson: http://iwgc.net/egam4