Mr Adam Farquharson

Mr Adam Farquharson is a Consultant Colorectal Surgeon at Shrewsbury and Telford Hospital NHS Trust (SaTH) having graduated from the University of Sheffield and completing higher surgical training in the Yorkshire and the Humber Deanery. He has a specialist interest in laparoscopic colorectal surgery including single incision laparoscopic surgery (SILS), pelvic floor dysfunction (including faecal incontinence. obstructive defecation syndrome and rectal prolapse) and complex anal fistulas. He also has a general, emergency and colorectal cancer surgery practice incorporating the management of proctology including haemorrhoids, anal fistula and anal fissure. He undertook a specialist laparoscopic colorectal Fellowship at Concord Repatriation General Hospital in Sydney, Australia (2012-13). Mr Farquharson is the current Royal College of Surgeons of England Surgical Tutor for SaTH and a core member of the Pelvic Floor multidisciplinary team.

18th January 2017
Written by a patient at Princess Royal Hospital

I believe that Mr Farquharson has saved my life following a very slow referral process during which the necessity of the operation he performed on me was doubted rather than encouraged by my local medical practice. I suggest that more time be taken within the NHS to ensure that experiences such as mine are properly aired, so saving the lives of others.

12th January 2017
Written by a carer at Princess Royal Hospital

My father went into hospital in January 2016 with not much chance of survival but Mr Adam Farquarson did a miracle job in saving my father and he did a right Hemicolectomy as his cancer spread from his appendix that was taken out. He is a marvellous surgeon and he has a lovely personality and is very easy to talk to, You are lucky to have a person like him on your team because a year later my father is still with us.

10th January 2017
Written by a patient at Royal Shrewsbury Hospital

Adam Farquharson recently performed a very much needed LVMR operation on me to give me a life enhancing ‘re-build’. This operation is only performed by experienced surgeons with specialist laparoscopic (keyhole surgery) training. Shrewsbury is in the lucky position of having this surgeon. Because I had taken so long to seek medical help and needed ‘the full works’, I had become the ‘Ideal’ candidate and as Adam said, ‘The exact reason why the operation had been invented’. My condition would only get worse if no intervention occurred. Luckily I also had no complications. Although he was focussed on the forthcoming operation, he took the time to check on me and see if I had any last minute worries (I didn’t). His relaxed, confident manner and control of proceedings left me completely ready for the operation. When I awoke in Recovery Adam was there to see me and said that everything had gone perfectly and exactly to plan. I had a happy surgeon which meant he had a happy patient. Due to my ‘classic case’ the recovery nurse remarked that ‘I’d made his day’ (I think my innards had actually). She also added that if Mr Farquharson has performed the operation it would be a really good job. I needed no pain relief during my overnight stay in hospital, not a single tablet, despite being repeatedly offered, which speaks volumes for the care and handling I received during surgery despite the length of time I was there. The four tiny incision scars are so minimal and finely sutured I’ve had bigger scratches. I went into this operation having rapidly built complete trust in this very genuine, friendly and caring man and his expert surgical skills. Professional from the outset, he displayed evident knowledge, confidence and experience in all aspects of my case. He invited questions and was thoughtful and thorough in his answers. He actively listened and responded constructively guiding my decision choices in discussion. Just a few weeks into my recuperation has seen my quality of life improve exponentially. Exercise has greatly increased and helping enormously with weight loss and I have rapidly removed myself from being an NHS obesity statistic. In the relaxed post operative discussion with Adam he was genuinely delighted with the rate of health improvement. I found him well researched, willing to educate and a great communicator. Easy to chat with, we readily discussed photos from the op that I wanted to see and we worked a plan to try to improve on things I was still unsure of. During this discussion with Adam I told him what happened during my initial GP visit compared to my first outpatients appointment:- The GP (now retired) didn't understand when I explained my problem and then did a minimal examination (mainly looking) shrugged her shoulders stating that she couldn’t see anything and seemed confused by what I was saying. If I had been less sure of my problem I may have easily walked away from the surgery believing the GP that there was nothing to see. Instead, I was left thinking, ‘do I need to draw you a diagram?” She did, at least, refer me. However, my first appointment with Adam Farquharson went very differently:- He explained to me who he was, about the pelvic floor clinic, what he thought I had wrong with me and just how common it is, what tests he planned to do and that he would need to examine me. On examination, he went straight to the site of the problem as he had expected to find and I was left thinking, ‘Hallelujah!’ At this point Adam Farquharson grinned and said, “Then I drew YOU a diagram!” Now if he can only educate the GPs….. I will very probably need the services of the pelvic floor clinic again before too long and will choose Adam Farquharson whenever possible. I honestly like and trust this man and definitely recommend him as your first choice.

13th December 2016
Written by a patient at Princess Royal Hospital

This consultant is a person who is caring ,friendly ,approachable, and listens to all your issues I had complete trust in his judgement and expertise The care I received in the hospital was excellent which helped in my speedy recovery

1st December 2016
Written by a patient at Royal Shrewsbury Hospital

Mr Farquharson had little time to assess me prior to operating as I was admitted as an emergency, diagnosed with bowel cancer and taken to theatre the next morning. However, thanks to his specialisation skills the complex operation itself was very successful; I recovered and functioned normally very quickly. I have seen Mr Farquharson himself regularly since to discuss ongoing test results and found that he reacts efficiently to problems, takes time to explain the basics of the condition, likes to know it is understood and always provides the way ahead. He welcomes questions and often uses these to elaborate on the detail.

Short link to review Mr Adam Farquharson: http://iwgc.net/egam4