Mr Abraham Manoj Thomas

• Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery

15th March 2017
Written by a patient at Royal Gwent Hospital

Had problems with my spine/back for 3 to 4 years so I asked my dr if I could see a consultant, the wait was so long I did see him privately. My operation was on the NHS and I waited well over a year for my operation which was urgent. I had a decompression and stabilization of two lumber discs and repair of another two discs. Very long operation. I was given the opportunity to have a root nerve injection which I think is given every 6 months however, I went for the operation. The operation i was informed is about 70%.successful. He explained things might go wrong This Consultant did the best for me and as far as I am concerned, I would put my complete trust in Mr A.Manoj Thomas. The NHS only gave me less than 10 mins with Mr A.Manoj Thomas when seen in outpatients. When I was in the Royal Gwent Mr A.Manoj Thomas reminded the staff about my bloods? I had lost blood during the operation and he told me when my drain would come out so I would be more comfortable and I know he talked to the staff for 10 mins or so about my care, when visiting me in the ward I can honestly say this - I wish the staff was as caring as he was but this is too long to explain, and that is true.

22nd February 2017
Written by a carer at Royal Gwent Hospital

My wife has cervical spondulitis in her neck. It causes her immense pain, and she has had this for almost 20 years. In the early days she was told nothing could be done, but a year or so ago she was referred to Mr. Thomas. He sent her for an MRI scan. He told us after this that she had a leaking disc in her neck and a trapped nerve. He could either operate or give her injections. Both carried risks. He did not ask her if she was prepared to take any risk, which she would have been. He did refer her on to a different consultant as she told him her arm was also causing her pain. He said once that was sorted, he would look at her neck. We found this odd, as we assumed the arm pain was a symptom of the neck and any way she was referred by her GP for the neck. Anyhow, having complied with his request she went to see the other consultant who did nothing, except send her for physiotherapy. She went and they told her there was nothing wrong. She then got back in touch with Mr. Thomas hoping to be given an option for surgery. His secretary told her he had discharged her. Apparently he did this the day he referred her to the other consultant, but didn't bother to tell her this was his intention. She has been told that she now needs to see her GP for a new referral. We are going to ask to be referred to another consultant ortho. Preferably one who gives a damn

25th June 2016
Written by a patient at Royal Gwent Hospital

I have suffered chronic back pain for several years to the extent that I am almost house-bound. I have tried several ways of finding relief but to no avail so a referral to this doctor was seen as a last resort. What I got was someone who showed no interest in my condition, he totally dismissed my problem re spinal injections, I have a deep-seated fear of needles. His only comment was that he had never met anyone with that problem. I had hoped to be referred to the pain clinic, but although he finally agreed to a referral, he was totally negative as to whether this would help me and basically said that my only resort was to ever increasing pain killers. It is interesting that a lot of my comments mirror the previous reviewer even down to the delay in being seen and the non-committal attitude of the rest of the staff. The end result is that I have become thoroughly depressed, made worse by the fact that I am sure that if I went private the attitude would totally change.

6th April 2016
Written by a patient at Royal Gwent Hospital

Mr Thomas has been my consultant for a number of years through the nhs. Recently he administered pain relief injections to my lower back. Although this time I haven't had the results if have liked, this isn't the fault of Mr Thomas. He explained that they don't always work along with the risks involved in this as in any medical procedures. I found him to be thorough, approachable, extremely knowledgable (as you'd expect) a great listener with a relaxed attitude that made me more confident in explaining my symptoms and the effect this problem has on my day to day life. Mr Thomas is a consummate professional that I trust completely and would recommend to anyone who has suffered back pain.

6th April 2016
Written by a patient at Royal Gwent Hospital

I've had back injections twice under the care of Mr Thomas. Although this time round I haven't had the results I'd hoped for my experiences with him have been excellent. He has listened to my description of the pain, discomfort and lifestyle effects the condition has on me and questioned me for more details where appropriate. He's approachable and relaxed. By that I mean I never felt rushed during my consultations with him and he ensured that I understood what he could do for the pain and the risks that go along with the procedure. I might add that I am an NHS patient and not private. I have a review with Mr Thomas later this month and I'm confident that he will advise accordingly on what is to be done next to help the pain in my back.

Short link to review Mr Abraham Manoj Thomas: http://iwgc.net/ef8uu