Mr Abeezar Sarela

Mr Sarela graduated in Mumbai, and trained in London, Leeds and Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Centre, New York. Mr Sarela is a Consultant Surgeon in Leeds since 2003. He works in the NHS at St James's University Hospital, and he practices privately at Spire Hospital. He is an Honorary Senior Lecturer in the School of Medicine and a PhD Research Scholar in the School of Law, University of Leeds. Mr Sarela is a member of the Association of Upper Gastrointestinal Surgeons, the British Obesity & Metabolic Surgeons Society and the British Medical Association and the Indian Association of Gastrointestinal Endoscopic Surgeons. He is a Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians & Surgeons of Glasgow. AREAS OF SPECIALISATION 1. Weight Loss Mr Sarela has been doing Weight Loss Surgery (also called Bariatric Surgery) since 2004. He performs the Gastric Band, Gastric Bypass, Sleeve Gastrectomy and the Gastric Balloon. There is no single correct choice in weight loss surgery. Each procedure has its own pros and cons, and one size does not fit all. Mr Sarela will discuss the benefits and risks of each operation in the light of your individual medical and personal circumstances, so that you can make the best choice. Mr Sarela is a Core Member of the Bariatric Surgery Multi-Disciplinary Team in Leeds NHS Trust. He logs all his operations in UK National Bariatric Surgery Registry. 2. Acid Reflux You have the option of two operations: Laparoscopic Nissen Fundoplication and the Magnetic Bead Ring. Each has pros and cons, and Mr Sarela will empower you to make the best choice. 3. Gallstones Stones in your gallbladder can cause pain, infection, jaundice and pancreatitis. Mr Sarela will remove your gallbladder and do an x-ray of bile ducts by keyhole surgery: called laparoscopic cholecystectomy and cholangiogram. 4. Hernia Mr Sarela has expertise in keyhole surgery for all types of hernias: inguinal, femoral, umbilical, incisional and hiatal. Mr Sarela repairs inguinal hernias by the totally extra-peritoneal method, which avoids entry into your peritoneal cavity. Mr Sarela has special interest in surgery for large and complex hiatus hernias. 5. Achalasia Mr Sarela uses keyhole surgery to divide the muscles of the lower oesophageal sphincter in order to relieve your difficulty to swallow. This operation is called Laparoscopic Cardiomyotomy. 6. Cancer Mr Sarela trained in cancer surgery at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Centre in New York, universally acclaimed as the best cancer hospital in the world. Mr Sarela was the International Surgical Oncology Fellow, an immensely competitive position, during 2001-2002. Mr Sarela has been at the forefront of developing laparoscopic surgery for cancer of the oesophagus and stomach. He is a core member of the Upper Gastrointestinal Cancer Multi-Disciplinary Team in Leeds. Website: www.abeezarsarela.co.uk Secretary (Private): 0113 388 2127 Secretary (NHS): 0113 206 8521

• Oncology

« 1 2 3 4 5 »

24th November 2017
Written by a patient at Nuffield Hospital Leeds

After many months of research into different procedures and all the pros & cons to follow, I finally opted for a sleeve gastectomy because as a mother of two children ages 6 & 10 I needed to be on my feet and functioning normally as quickly as possible. I met with Mr Sarela in February 2017 and 4 weeks later on 24 March had booked in for the procedure. Might I also add that the treatment from all the staff on the day of arrival to leaving was absolutely fantastic. If you are thinking that this is going to be a magic fix please do not, as with life everything has to be worked at it changes your life totally if you use the tools correctly and you are really dedicated then you will have great success. My children would say their mum is back and I can now chase them around which sometimes they think has its down side, but when we do the hug test, to see how much weight has been lost its worth everything. (that's where the kids cuddle me and their hands didn't touch together behind my back NOW they actually meet and more :)) I started off at 23 stone 3lbs had bad mobility problems suffered with depression and felt like a massive frump, now 7 months in I have lost 51% of my body weight and am still continuing to embrace the journey and weight loss. Even 7 months down the line I am still finding different ways to eat different foods as you access everything before you eat, well I do and I also think, is it good or bad for me. Do not be fooled if you are going to cheat it really isn't worth going through the journey, this is a journey that needs to be grabbed with both hands. I can honestly say it is worth every penny.

22nd November 2017
Written by a patient at Nuffield Hospital Leeds

First consultation was excellent, all questions answered thoroughly and honestly. I was given plenty of time to discuss my concerns and I was given enough information on the different operations to feel I could make a sound decision. I felt as though my problems had been understood. I was confident that I wanted to go ahead but felt under no pressure to commit. The operation itself went very smoothly and the aftercare in HDU was excellent. Mr Sarelas communication with my GP was very clear, which made it easy for me to see them for my prescriptions. As I left the hospital I was given a 6 week follow up appointment, where I had the opportunity to discuss any concerns fully.

16th November 2017
Written by a patient at Spire Leeds Hospital

Mr Sarela provided me with all my options and enough information to make an informed decision. Mr Sarela fully explained that he would make an surgical decision on the day as to wether he could complete both stages of the operation (removal of a slipped gastric band and a gastric bypass conversion). Much to Mr Sarela’s credit he managed to complete the procedure in one operation, even though this added many hours onto the surgery. This is something I was very greatful for and avoided me having another operation, with associated costs and recovery, to deal with. My follow up has been excellent and I always feel like Mr Sarela is contactable should I have any issues. Fortunately my recovery was very quick and I have had no issues since the operation. Mr Sarela has kept my GP fully informed and I had no problems getting the blood tests and vitamins I needed. I was so pleased with Mr Sarela I recommended him to my mum, who had recently had surgery with Mr Sarela herself. Improvements could perhaps be perhaps with the dietary advice side of things. This is not more to do with the dietician service at my particular hospital, rather than Mr Sarela himself. Personally I would have benefited from a more structured eating plan after surgery.

8th November 2017
Written by a patient at Nuffield Hospital Leeds

Mr Serela is extremely easy to approach and speak to about weight loss surgery, he makes you feel totally at ease and explains things in great detail so together you can make and informed decision which procedure is right for you. The aftercare is excellent as are all the staff. Evening appointments are available which is a real bonus if you work full time

3rd November 2017
Written by a patient at Spire Leeds Hospital

The time that was given on a 121 was very impressive. There was no time limit and no stupid question. Mr Sarela was brilliant

« 1 2 3 4 5 »