Mr Abeezar Sarela

Mr Sarela graduated in Mumbai, and trained in London, Leeds and Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Centre, New York. Mr Sarela is a Consultant Surgeon in Leeds since 2003. He works in the NHS at St James's University Hospital, and he practices privately at Spire Hospital. He is an Honorary Senior Lecturer in the School of Medicine and a PhD Research Scholar in the School of Law, University of Leeds. Mr Sarela is a member of the Association of Upper Gastrointestinal Surgeons, the British Obesity & Metabolic Surgeons Society and the British Medical Association and the Indian Association of Gastrointestinal Endoscopic Surgeons. He is a Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians & Surgeons of Glasgow. AREAS OF SPECIALISATION 1. Weight Loss Mr Sarela has been doing Weight Loss Surgery (also called Bariatric Surgery) since 2004. He performs the Gastric Band, Gastric Bypass, Sleeve Gastrectomy and the Gastric Balloon. There is no single correct choice in weight loss surgery. Each procedure has its own pros and cons, and one size does not fit all. Mr Sarela will discuss the benefits and risks of each operation in the light of your individual medical and personal circumstances, so that you can make the best choice. Mr Sarela is a Core Member of the Bariatric Surgery Multi-Disciplinary Team in Leeds NHS Trust. He logs all his operations in UK National Bariatric Surgery Registry. 2. Acid Reflux You have the option of two operations: Laparoscopic Nissen Fundoplication and the Magnetic Bead Ring. Each has pros and cons, and Mr Sarela will empower you to make the best choice. 3. Gallstones Stones in your gallbladder can cause pain, infection, jaundice and pancreatitis. Mr Sarela will remove your gallbladder and do an x-ray of bile ducts by keyhole surgery: called laparoscopic cholecystectomy and cholangiogram. 4. Hernia Mr Sarela has expertise in keyhole surgery for all types of hernias: inguinal, femoral, umbilical, incisional and hiatal. Mr Sarela repairs inguinal hernias by the totally extra-peritoneal method, which avoids entry into your peritoneal cavity. Mr Sarela has special interest in surgery for large and complex hiatus hernias. 5. Achalasia Mr Sarela uses keyhole surgery to divide the muscles of the lower oesophageal sphincter in order to relieve your difficulty to swallow. This operation is called Laparoscopic Cardiomyotomy. 6. Cancer Mr Sarela trained in cancer surgery at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Centre in New York, universally acclaimed as the best cancer hospital in the world. Mr Sarela was the International Surgical Oncology Fellow, an immensely competitive position, during 2001-2002. Mr Sarela has been at the forefront of developing laparoscopic surgery for cancer of the oesophagus and stomach. He is a core member of the Upper Gastrointestinal Cancer Multi-Disciplinary Team in Leeds. Website: www.abeezarsarela.co.uk Secretary (Private): 0113 388 2127 Secretary (NHS): 0113 206 8521

• Oncology

14th March 2019
Written by a patient at St James's University Hospital

Fantastic doctor who went the extra mile while in surgery to make sure that the operation was a success. No doubt that he is excellent in what he does and very professional throughout

25th February 2019
Written by a patient at Nuffield Hospital Leeds

Mr Sarela took great care to listen and take a comprehensive history before discussing the options and possible best treatment option for me, he explained the risks and benefits in detail and provided me enough time to consider the next steps prior to arranging an appointment for treatment. The outcome was fantastic and as detailed by Mr Sarela and I am most grateful for his help in getting me back on track.

4th February 2019
Written by a patient at Spire Leeds Hospital

I was seen by Mr Sarela on the nhs in 2017 for my planned sleeve gastrectomy surgery, which was performed in 2018. He fully outlined all 3 bariatric proceedures and allowed me to make an informed decision with regard to which one I chose to have , as he said I was suitable for all 3. I did not take part in the randomised control trial by/ban/sleeve at the time , and although I am not opposed to research in general, I felt this was too life changing a decision for a computer to be making for me. He allowed me time to ask questions and also from my friend who attended with me. I did not specifically choose Mr Sarela ( not on the nhs), however am more than happy with allocation. I had the surgery at the Spire hospital 14 months ago and have reached my target weight. What a surgeon does is give you the tools to be successful, but you have to be mentally ready for the pre op and post op scenarios, physically and mentally. I have no regrets, recovered well ancd have never looked back, virtually reversing my diabetes and with a weight loss of 8 stone have a big smile on my face :-)

7th January 2019
Written by a patient at Nuffield Hospital Leeds

I found Mr Sarela extremely thorough and patient centred. He understood the reason as to why I wanted the surgery and was empathetic. He was thorough with my previous medical history and I found his care to be patient centred. I felt supported throughout the process and while in hospital and, so far, have been impressed with his aftercare. I have been reassured that if I want any further advice or guidance that I or my GO can contact him at any time.

21st November 2018
Written by a patient at Nuffield Hospital Leeds

Very easy to talk to and really listened. Explained all the weight loss surgeries in great detail . Would recommend him to anyone .

Short link to review Mr Abeezar Sarela: http://iwgc.net/efpv4