Mr Abeezar Sarela

Mr Sarela graduated in Mumbai, and trained in London, Leeds and Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Centre, New York. Mr Sarela is a Consultant Surgeon in Leeds since 2003. He works in the NHS at St James's University Hospital, and he practices privately at Spire Hospital. He is an Honorary Senior Lecturer in the School of Medicine and a PhD Research Scholar in the School of Law, University of Leeds. Mr Sarela is a member of the Association of Upper Gastrointestinal Surgeons, the British Obesity & Metabolic Surgeons Society and the British Medical Association and the Indian Association of Gastrointestinal Endoscopic Surgeons. He is a Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians & Surgeons of Glasgow. AREAS OF SPECIALISATION 1. Weight Loss Mr Sarela has been doing Weight Loss Surgery (also called Bariatric Surgery) since 2004. He performs the Gastric Band, Gastric Bypass, Sleeve Gastrectomy and the Gastric Balloon. There is no single correct choice in weight loss surgery. Each procedure has its own pros and cons, and one size does not fit all. Mr Sarela will discuss the benefits and risks of each operation in the light of your individual medical and personal circumstances, so that you can make the best choice. Mr Sarela is a Core Member of the Bariatric Surgery Multi-Disciplinary Team in Leeds NHS Trust. He logs all his operations in UK National Bariatric Surgery Registry. 2. Acid Reflux You have the option of two operations: Laparoscopic Nissen Fundoplication and the Magnetic Bead Ring. Each has pros and cons, and Mr Sarela will empower you to make the best choice. 3. Gallstones Stones in your gallbladder can cause pain, infection, jaundice and pancreatitis. Mr Sarela will remove your gallbladder and do an x-ray of bile ducts by keyhole surgery: called laparoscopic cholecystectomy and cholangiogram. 4. Hernia Mr Sarela has expertise in keyhole surgery for all types of hernias: inguinal, femoral, umbilical, incisional and hiatal. Mr Sarela repairs inguinal hernias by the totally extra-peritoneal method, which avoids entry into your peritoneal cavity. Mr Sarela has special interest in surgery for large and complex hiatus hernias. 5. Achalasia Mr Sarela uses keyhole surgery to divide the muscles of the lower oesophageal sphincter in order to relieve your difficulty to swallow. This operation is called Laparoscopic Cardiomyotomy. 6. Cancer Mr Sarela trained in cancer surgery at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Centre in New York, universally acclaimed as the best cancer hospital in the world. Mr Sarela was the International Surgical Oncology Fellow, an immensely competitive position, during 2001-2002. Mr Sarela has been at the forefront of developing laparoscopic surgery for cancer of the oesophagus and stomach. He is a core member of the Upper Gastrointestinal Cancer Multi-Disciplinary Team in Leeds. Website: www.abeezarsarela.co.uk Secretary (Private): 0113 388 2127 Secretary (NHS): 0113 206 8521

• Oncology

23rd June 2017
Written by a patient at Nuffield Hospital Leeds

I was asked to come into hospital for 10am from a 11am appointment for a hernia repair. However, I sat in a room having not eaten anything all day until 5.45pm. There was no need for me to come in so early. I was not informed of my operation time. Just left in the room wondering what was going on. When I did receive care it was excellent. Very professional.

13th June 2017
Written by a patient at Nuffield Hospital Leeds

He was fantastic in every way!

6th June 2017
Written by a patient at Spire Leeds Hospital

Excellent result from long standing hernia problem . Operation was successful. Mr Sarela was extremely professional and personal throughout.

2nd June 2017
Written by a patient at Spire Leeds Hospital

I dont think it could improve the Doctor was fantastic in every way

2nd June 2017
Written by a patient at Nuffield Hospital Leeds

Mr. Sarela gave me excellent care from the start of my initial consultations and straight through to my surgery. After my initial consultation with Dr. Sarela, I researched his qualifications and experience in performing the type of surgery I was considering and I found that he has an exceptionally high standard of qualifications and stays up to date with current technique and standards of care. While I was in the hospital in his care I found that his colleagues and hospital staff hold him in high regard and he is well respected. He took his time to explain everything and his goals for my care were based on what would be best in my situation. He asked for feedback on what I thought and what I wanted from the experience and I feel he genuinely cared and listened to what I wanted. I highly recommend Dr. Sarela. My experience has been exceptional and I believe Dr. Sarela has extended my life and given me a healthier future which I am looking forward to.

Short link to review Mr Abeezar Sarela: http://iwgc.net/efpv4