Mr Abeezar Sarela

Mr Sarela graduated in Mumbai, and trained in London, Leeds and Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Centre, New York. Mr Sarela is a Consultant Surgeon in Leeds since 2003. He works in the NHS at St James's University Hospital, and he practices privately at Spire Hospital. He is an Honorary Senior Lecturer in the School of Medicine and a PhD Research Scholar in the School of Law, University of Leeds. Mr Sarela is a member of the Association of Upper Gastrointestinal Surgeons, the British Obesity & Metabolic Surgeons Society and the British Medical Association and the Indian Association of Gastrointestinal Endoscopic Surgeons. He is a Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians & Surgeons of Glasgow. AREAS OF SPECIALISATION 1. Weight Loss Mr Sarela has been doing Weight Loss Surgery (also called Bariatric Surgery) since 2004. He performs the Gastric Band, Gastric Bypass, Sleeve Gastrectomy and the Gastric Balloon. There is no single correct choice in weight loss surgery. Each procedure has its own pros and cons, and one size does not fit all. Mr Sarela will discuss the benefits and risks of each operation in the light of your individual medical and personal circumstances, so that you can make the best choice. Mr Sarela is a Core Member of the Bariatric Surgery Multi-Disciplinary Team in Leeds NHS Trust. He logs all his operations in UK National Bariatric Surgery Registry. 2. Acid Reflux You have the option of two operations: Laparoscopic Nissen Fundoplication and the Magnetic Bead Ring. Each has pros and cons, and Mr Sarela will empower you to make the best choice. 3. Gallstones Stones in your gallbladder can cause pain, infection, jaundice and pancreatitis. Mr Sarela will remove your gallbladder and do an x-ray of bile ducts by keyhole surgery: called laparoscopic cholecystectomy and cholangiogram. 4. Hernia Mr Sarela has expertise in keyhole surgery for all types of hernias: inguinal, femoral, umbilical, incisional and hiatal. Mr Sarela repairs inguinal hernias by the totally extra-peritoneal method, which avoids entry into your peritoneal cavity. Mr Sarela has special interest in surgery for large and complex hiatus hernias. 5. Achalasia Mr Sarela uses keyhole surgery to divide the muscles of the lower oesophageal sphincter in order to relieve your difficulty to swallow. This operation is called Laparoscopic Cardiomyotomy. 6. Cancer Mr Sarela trained in cancer surgery at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Centre in New York, universally acclaimed as the best cancer hospital in the world. Mr Sarela was the International Surgical Oncology Fellow, an immensely competitive position, during 2001-2002. Mr Sarela has been at the forefront of developing laparoscopic surgery for cancer of the oesophagus and stomach. He is a core member of the Upper Gastrointestinal Cancer Multi-Disciplinary Team in Leeds. Website: www.abeezarsarela.co.uk Secretary (Private): 0113 388 2127 Secretary (NHS): 0113 206 8521

• Oncology

23rd August 2017
Written by a patient at St James's University Hospital

Felt very supported, like he was listening, and understood, On the day of surgery he was calm and professional and relaxed me on admission.

2nd August 2017
Written by a patient at St James's University Hospital

This man and his team put rite a funderplication operation I had done very shabbily by another surgeon . The difference between the two was worlds apart . Mr Sarela was a true professional and a true gentleman he's spoke in layman's terms when I asked questions (unlike his predecessor! ) he explained every aspect of the opp and recovery period etc etc... i could not be happier with the whole experience... Top man thank you ...

2nd August 2017
Written by a patient at Nuffield Hospital Leeds

I was very pleased with Mr Sarela's approach to my inguinal hernia repair operation. He explained the procedure thoroughly, and detailed any potential complications which might have occurred. I had a few concerns about the recovery period because I work for myself, and so time away from work equals lost income. Mr Sarela's advice was to allow enough time for a full recovery to prevent any damage to the repair, which would prolong absence from work. For me, this was about 10 days, then I started easing my way back into work. I usually spend long periods at my desk, but since work was quiet, I did some decorating! Again, following Mr Sarela's advice, I didn't do anything too strenuous and also rested well. I am a keen cyclist, and Mr Sarela also gave me advice on my exercise regime, and how long I should wait before getting back into the saddle. I have followed Mr Sarela's advice and have had no complications at all. I was very happy with how the operation went. I know a few friends who have had the same condition, and their experience with a different surgeon was poor by comparison. In terms of pain, this was less than I expected. I did, of course, take the medication prescribed, and took the appropriate amount of rest, and found I was able to go without any pain relief after 4 or 5 days. I did have an issue with some painful bruising, which I found was greatly relieved using an ice pack. Since then I have had the occasional twinge, but they are very minor and to be expected. My hernia was able to be repaired using key-hole surgery and my scarring is minimal. The closures were very neat. The largest scar is 3cm long. The other two are about 1 cm long. I would highly recommend Mr Sarela to anyone who needs this operation.

27th June 2017
Written by a patient at St James's University Hospital

Mr Sarela treated me with kindness and compassion throughout my care. He carefully explained the reasons for all the investigations I was having and the results. I would highly recommend him to a friend or family member.

23rd June 2017
Written by a patient at Nuffield Hospital Leeds

I was asked to come into hospital for 10am from a 11am appointment for a hernia repair. However, I sat in a room having not eaten anything all day until 5.45pm. There was no need for me to come in so early. I was not informed of my operation time. Just left in the room wondering what was going on. When I did receive care it was excellent. Very professional.

Short link to review Mr Abeezar Sarela: http://iwgc.net/efpv4