Mr Abeezar Sarela

Mr Sarela graduated in Mumbai, and trained in London, Leeds and Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Centre, New York. Mr Sarela is a Consultant Surgeon in Leeds since 2003. He works in the NHS at St James's University Hospital, and he practices privately at Spire Hospital. He is an Honorary Senior Lecturer in the School of Medicine and a PhD Research Scholar in the School of Law, University of Leeds. Mr Sarela is a member of the Association of Upper Gastrointestinal Surgeons, the British Obesity & Metabolic Surgeons Society and the British Medical Association and the Indian Association of Gastrointestinal Endoscopic Surgeons. He is a Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians & Surgeons of Glasgow. AREAS OF SPECIALISATION 1. Weight Loss Mr Sarela has been doing Weight Loss Surgery (also called Bariatric Surgery) since 2004. He performs the Gastric Band, Gastric Bypass, Sleeve Gastrectomy and the Gastric Balloon. There is no single correct choice in weight loss surgery. Each procedure has its own pros and cons, and one size does not fit all. Mr Sarela will discuss the benefits and risks of each operation in the light of your individual medical and personal circumstances, so that you can make the best choice. Mr Sarela is a Core Member of the Bariatric Surgery Multi-Disciplinary Team in Leeds NHS Trust. He logs all his operations in UK National Bariatric Surgery Registry. 2. Acid Reflux You have the option of two operations: Laparoscopic Nissen Fundoplication and the Magnetic Bead Ring. Each has pros and cons, and Mr Sarela will empower you to make the best choice. 3. Gallstones Stones in your gallbladder can cause pain, infection, jaundice and pancreatitis. Mr Sarela will remove your gallbladder and do an x-ray of bile ducts by keyhole surgery: called laparoscopic cholecystectomy and cholangiogram. 4. Hernia Mr Sarela has expertise in keyhole surgery for all types of hernias: inguinal, femoral, umbilical, incisional and hiatal. Mr Sarela repairs inguinal hernias by the totally extra-peritoneal method, which avoids entry into your peritoneal cavity. Mr Sarela has special interest in surgery for large and complex hiatus hernias. 5. Achalasia Mr Sarela uses keyhole surgery to divide the muscles of the lower oesophageal sphincter in order to relieve your difficulty to swallow. This operation is called Laparoscopic Cardiomyotomy. 6. Cancer Mr Sarela trained in cancer surgery at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Centre in New York, universally acclaimed as the best cancer hospital in the world. Mr Sarela was the International Surgical Oncology Fellow, an immensely competitive position, during 2001-2002. Mr Sarela has been at the forefront of developing laparoscopic surgery for cancer of the oesophagus and stomach. He is a core member of the Upper Gastrointestinal Cancer Multi-Disciplinary Team in Leeds. Website: www.abeezarsarela.co.uk Secretary (Private): 0113 388 2127 Secretary (NHS): 0113 206 8521

• Oncology

18th July 2018
Written by a patient at Nuffield Hospital Leeds

Very knowledgeable and experienced in the particular specialism. Fully explained the procedure and post surgery expectations.

15th July 2018
Written by a patient at Spire Leeds Hospital

From start to finish Dr sarela was there for me it's not just a job to him he listened advised and his surgery was 2nd to none. I researched him 1st as he came recommended and his history shone over 3 other surgeons. My scars are minimal and his concern is always the patient listens understands advises and would highly recommend him to anyone who is considering surgery I cannot thank him enough for giving me my life back which I so desperately needed I had full gastric bypass performed and have lost 3.6 stone and feel I can breath again Thanks

6th July 2018
Written by a patient at Nuffield Hospital Leeds

I had a Rous-en-y gastric bypass performed by Mr Sarela 9 months ago - everything has been excellent. All in all a positive experience and my type2 diabetes has gone.

10th May 2018
Written by a patient at Nuffield Hospital Leeds

Mr Sarela recently carried out surgery to repair my inguinal hernia. He explained the procedure in detail, including all the potential risks, and answered all my questions putting me at ease. I cannot thank Mr Sarela enough for giving me back movement without pain allowing me to carry on with my life. Thank you very much Mr Sarela.

21st April 2018
Written by a patient at Spire Leeds Hospital

Never having had surgery before, Mr Sarela put me completely at ease during my consultation and keyhole repair of an inguinal hernia. He took care to explain what would happen and kept me informed at all times. Although I was originally scheduled for day surgery, a small problem with my immediate recovery meant that I needed to stay in overnight. Mr Sarela and all the staff at The Spire, Leeds were very attentive and caring throughout this period. I did not experience any pain afterwards and the small incisions healed very quickly and cleanly. I was back at work as a driver within a couple of weeks without any problem. I've just had my follow-up appointment and have been given the go-ahead to resume normal activities.

Short link to review Mr Abeezar Sarela: http://iwgc.net/efpv4