Mr Abeezar Sarela

Mr Sarela graduated in Mumbai, and trained in London, Leeds and Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Centre, New York. Mr Sarela is a Consultant Surgeon in Leeds since 2003. He works in the NHS at St James's University Hospital, and he practices privately at Spire Hospital. He is an Honorary Senior Lecturer in the School of Medicine and a PhD Research Scholar in the School of Law, University of Leeds. Mr Sarela is a member of the Association of Upper Gastrointestinal Surgeons, the British Obesity & Metabolic Surgeons Society and the British Medical Association and the Indian Association of Gastrointestinal Endoscopic Surgeons. He is a Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians & Surgeons of Glasgow. AREAS OF SPECIALISATION 1. Weight Loss Mr Sarela has been doing Weight Loss Surgery (also called Bariatric Surgery) since 2004. He performs the Gastric Band, Gastric Bypass, Sleeve Gastrectomy and the Gastric Balloon. There is no single correct choice in weight loss surgery. Each procedure has its own pros and cons, and one size does not fit all. Mr Sarela will discuss the benefits and risks of each operation in the light of your individual medical and personal circumstances, so that you can make the best choice. Mr Sarela is a Core Member of the Bariatric Surgery Multi-Disciplinary Team in Leeds NHS Trust. He logs all his operations in UK National Bariatric Surgery Registry. 2. Acid Reflux You have the option of two operations: Laparoscopic Nissen Fundoplication and the Magnetic Bead Ring. Each has pros and cons, and Mr Sarela will empower you to make the best choice. 3. Gallstones Stones in your gallbladder can cause pain, infection, jaundice and pancreatitis. Mr Sarela will remove your gallbladder and do an x-ray of bile ducts by keyhole surgery: called laparoscopic cholecystectomy and cholangiogram. 4. Hernia Mr Sarela has expertise in keyhole surgery for all types of hernias: inguinal, femoral, umbilical, incisional and hiatal. Mr Sarela repairs inguinal hernias by the totally extra-peritoneal method, which avoids entry into your peritoneal cavity. Mr Sarela has special interest in surgery for large and complex hiatus hernias. 5. Achalasia Mr Sarela uses keyhole surgery to divide the muscles of the lower oesophageal sphincter in order to relieve your difficulty to swallow. This operation is called Laparoscopic Cardiomyotomy. 6. Cancer Mr Sarela trained in cancer surgery at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Centre in New York, universally acclaimed as the best cancer hospital in the world. Mr Sarela was the International Surgical Oncology Fellow, an immensely competitive position, during 2001-2002. Mr Sarela has been at the forefront of developing laparoscopic surgery for cancer of the oesophagus and stomach. He is a core member of the Upper Gastrointestinal Cancer Multi-Disciplinary Team in Leeds. Website: www.abeezarsarela.co.uk Secretary (Private): 0113 388 2127 Secretary (NHS): 0113 206 8521

• Oncology

18th April 2017
Written by a patient at Nuffield Hospital Leeds

From the word go Mr Abeezar Sarela has been fantastic. I went to see him with weight problems and after suffering for many years he was understanding and sympathetic. Mr Sarela was informative and so was his website on the diffrent types of weight loss available. I trusted in hum fully and made me feel comfortable with the care I was to receive. After the first consultation he had agreed with me that the Gastric Bypass would be beneficial and that he would be able to do this. We discussed the risks and increased risks due to previously having a Pulmonary Embolism. After the surgery Mr Sarela ensured that I had the correct care and medication to ensure that I did not develop and DVT or PE. I was cared for so well. The after care has been exceptional in informing my GP who knew everything before I went to see him right up to the check up. Which I have just had my forst one. I would recommend Mr Abeezar Sarela to anyone for Gastric Surgery. It has only been us over 7 weeks and I feel great already. No discomfort or pain and recovery really was only two weeks. If advise given is followed as difficult as it is this is one surgeon to go to. I would like to thank you Mr Abeezar Sarela for giving me my life back. Deanne Paterson.

7th April 2017
Written by a patient at Nuffield Hospital Leeds

Total faith in Mr Sarela, He believed in me and me him as he's transformed my life with my dedication and Mr Sarela believing in me and I have results.

1st March 2017
Written by a patient at St James's University Hospital

I have been suffering with Acid Reflux since 1990 and taking prescription medication for the past 27 years, I asked my GP to refer me to St James Hospital because I had investigated and found that, Mr A Sarela was one of the Consultants who can carry out a procedure to fit a Magnetic Bracelet called LINX. I had the procedure carried out on the 19-01-2017 by Mr A Sarela Senior Consultant and Surgeon. From the first time I was introduced to Mr Sarela he has been an outstanding and a reassuring expert in his field of surgery. He made me feel very comfortable and confident and on the day of my surgery and I felt totally safe and relaxed knowing I was in good hands, The LINX bracelet has totally changed my life, in fact it's a fantastic invention and I am extremely amazed with the outcome after this procedure. From the date of my operation I have stopped taking medication for GORD, and I have no more acid reflux problems throughout the day and when in bed through the night. I would like reassure anyone who suffers from GORD, and your symptom's can't be controlled with prescription medication, try to get a referral from your GP, to see Mr Sarela and his team at St James Hospital Leeds.

Short link to review Mr Abeezar Sarela: http://iwgc.net/efpv4