Miss Shirin Irani

• Obstetrics and Gynaecology

21st November 2017
Written by a patient at Birmingham Heartlands Hospital

This doctor dressed me down in the presence of her protege because I did not feel comfortable answering personal Gynaecological type questions in front of a male student. She completely disregarded my personality, cultural beliefs and most importantly my vulnerability (having just learnt that I needed a myomectomy which could possibly lead to a hysterectomy and the fact that I may not be able to have children). Given that I began to cry should have been her indicator to be a little bit compassionate and keep her opinions about healthcare system to herself for that time. Furthermore she was aware that I had no support community available to me as I had only just relocated. This experience had created such fear, anxiety and depression in me that I cancelled the surgery because I found her personality so overwhelming and cruel. I could not trust this doctor to operate on my body with my best interests at heart because she showed me that her personal opinions (non medical) took precedence over mine.

19th July 2017
Written by a patient at Spire Parkway Hospital

Tried to dismiss my symptoms and diagnosis (confirmed by 4 other medical professionals), despite the severity of my symptoms and the great impact my condition has had on my life. Manner was also rude and abrupt. I left the appointment feeling nothing but utter despair at how I was spoken to, the clear lack of regard for my physical and mental health, and the fact that she refused to engage in any sort of discussion around treatments or ways I might be able to manage my symptoms simply telling me that there was nothing she or anyone could do to help (again, something at odds with the recommendations of the other medical professionals I have seen for my condition).The reproductive endocrinologist I was referred to afterwards verbalised his shock at the fact that she had tried to dismiss my symptoms and had questioned what he agreed was a clear-cut diagnosis. He also seemed surprised that she had been unwilling to discuss the various treatment options available to me.

6th July 2017
Written by a patient at Spire Parkway Hospital

Seen Miss Irani in April she listened to what Procedure I would like to have but then she explained why I couldn't have it done and she advised on the treatment which was best for me. She was totally amazing in putting my mind to rest with all my questions and fears. Not addressing me in a flowery way. All the hospital staff has a great deal of respect for her and I'm sure all of her patients.

2nd June 2017
Written by a patient at Birmingham Heartlands Hospital

Was dismissive of my symptoms and refused to engage in a conversation about my diagnosis and possible treatment options. Also quite abrupt. I left feeling like I had nope hope and like I'd wasted her time, despite the severity of my symptoms.

16th May 2017
Written by a carer at Spire Parkway Hospital

Great consultant. Caring and very experienced.

Nearest Obstetricians and gynaecologists