Miss Shirin Irani

• Obstetrics and Gynaecology

5th April 2018
Written by a patient at Spire Parkway Hospital

I saw Dr Irani as i had a large fibroid in my womb that was causing heavy periods. At that time I was 51. Dr Irani recommended a full hysterectomy but after I voiced my wish of not wanting to take my Cervix, Ovaries and Uterus taken away she said she would be prepared to leave my Cervix but with the positioning of my Ovaries to the fibroid, would have to take the Ovaries away. This caused me great distress but she was very forceful in her opinion. Wanting a second opinion I saw a Fibroid Specialist at St Thomas’s Hospital in London who said that he could perform a routine Myomectomy with Uterus, Ovaries and Cervix to remain intact. This procedure was performed successfully in an hours operation without any problems. How awful that Dr Irani would have performed an unnecessary Hysterectomy with me having to go onto HRT and other potential adverse issues of a Hysterectomy. She is to be avoided in my opinion, together with the fact that her manner is curt and dismissive.

4th April 2018
Written by a patient at Spire Parkway Hospital

This lady is amazing, I saw her back in November 2017, she has looked after me so, so well & her team. I just wished I'd found her years ago. A down to earth lady who knows her job 100%. I actually felt relaxed around her, I've never felt this with any other consultant before. We actually had a good laugh together but she was very professional when needed to be. I can't thank you enough Miss Shirin Irani & your fabulous team also Mr Steve Parr (Anaestetist) fantastic. Thank you is not enough but im so grateful I found u & ur team!!!!! Best wishes Sarah Evans

11th February 2018
Written by a patient at Spire Parkway Hospital

Due to heavy periods and cramping, I attended a consultation with Miss Irani which led to further investigations. As a result the diagnosis was not what I wanted to hear as it affected my fertility resulting in a hysterectomy in order to remove the cancerous tumour. This was handled with such professionalism and speed resulting in a specialist referral by Miss Irani. The consultations with Miss Irani were articulated so well with a discussion using the scan results. She is that proactive and profoundly efficient she actually took samples for further testing which were grade 1 cancerous. If this did not happen I would not want to think how my life would have been impacted. I continued to have follow up appointments which required long term medication and selecting the right treatments as per our discussion were very detailed and helpful. This made my day to day living more easier.

11th February 2018
Written by a patient at Spire Parkway Hospital

7 years ago I had the most traumatiic health scare of my whole life. I was diagnosed of having 2 fibroids which were too large to remove and would have had to face a hysterectomy and a risk where I wouldn’t be able to walk. One of the fibroids was near my spinal cord and if they removed it the chances would be I wouldn’t be able to walk again. My diagnosis was performed by a top professor in London. Being a career woman this was such a set back in my life and was devastated. My mum convinced me to get a second opinion. I came across Dr.Shirin Irani by a friend telling me there was another doctor in Birmingham and to get a second opinion. Meeting Dr. Irani I was a bit apprehensive as at the end of the day the professor had already told me that I would be needing a hysterectomy and a chance of being paralysed for the rest of my life. What can this doctor do to make me feel better or even perform this operation. One of her great qualities is that she doesn’t sugar coats the situation just to give one false hope. She clearly mentioned she understood the diagnosis that was performed by the professor. However she gave me hope and confidence that she could perform this major operation to remove the large fibroids without the after affects. Lo and behold the operation was a success. Thank you Jesus for sending me an angel who knows her experience. She also advised me that my body was prone to fibroids and may grow back. I had a new lease of life and went abroad to work. Having said that Doctor Shirin has always been accommodating with my work schedule and would always fit me in whenever I returned back to the UK. The aftercare was outstanding as she always kept an eye on me and was told to contact her when my periods became heavy. I’ve had checks and then procedures to keep having the small fibroids removed. She is exceptionally professional and very supportive and knows my abdomen hence why i trust her completely with my life. If I didn’t have any confidence in her or any kind of patient/doc relationship I wouldn’t be going back to her each time the fibroids appear. I’m very glad to have met her and she continues to be my Gyno even after all these years. I recommend Doc Irani as she’s exceptional on what she does and always strives to build a rapport whether it is face to face or via emails whilst I was abroad. Doc Irani is a Top surgeon and does know what she is talking about! Definitely recommend her, I owe her big time and it’s just a shame there is not nothing I can do to repay her of the quality of life she has given to me.

21st November 2017
Written by a patient at Birmingham Heartlands Hospital

This doctor dressed me down in the presence of her protege because I did not feel comfortable answering personal Gynaecological type questions in front of a male student. She completely disregarded my personality, cultural beliefs and most importantly my vulnerability (having just learnt that I needed a myomectomy which could possibly lead to a hysterectomy and the fact that I may not be able to have children). Given that I began to cry should have been her indicator to be a little bit compassionate and keep her opinions about healthcare system to herself for that time. Furthermore she was aware that I had no support community available to me as I had only just relocated. This experience had created such fear, anxiety and depression in me that I cancelled the surgery because I found her personality so overwhelming and cruel. I could not trust this doctor to operate on my body with my best interests at heart because she showed me that her personal opinions (non medical) took precedence over mine.

Nearest Obstetricians and gynaecologists