miss-jessica-bate

29th November 2020

I cannot speak highly enough of Jessica. From the moment we met Jessica, she was extremely kind, supportive and honest. Jessica is not afraid to give you the facts about your child's illness and the journey you have ahead of you. She is very open, gentle in her delivery and authoritative. I was impressed with the way she spoke to our child, making him aware of what lies ahead but without making him scared. At all times throughout his treatment, Jessica kept us fully informed about all the facts and explained things very clearly. She was always happy to answer any questions we raised and, considering how busy she is, we never felt rushed. Throughout the treatment, we had total confidence that Jessica was making the right decisions and felt so lucky that she was our son's Consultant. Our son is now clear from cancer and hopefully will remain so. We will always be grateful that Jessica chose to become a Paediatric Oncologist because, in our opinion, she has clearly chosen the right profession.

28th November 2020

We feel very fortunate that we came under Jessica's care when our teenage daughter was diagnosed with ovarian cancer. Jessica explained everything clearly and in detail (including the difficult bits) and answered our many questions. She really took an interest in the whole family and remembered detail about our lives. She always appears unhurried in her conversations with us and yet we know she has so many people to speak to. Jessica has ensured really good post treatment care too with follow up appointments and coordinating other specialists who needed to be involved. We cannot thank Jessica enough for her care and thoroughly recommend her.

14th November 2020

Dr Bate has a very calm and authoritative manner which helps you to understand and accept the information that she is providing. She does not shy away from delivering difficult news and answering difficult questions honestly, but she does so in a kind way which must be a very difficult skill to master, especially when she will frequently be dealing with families under extreme stress, with heightened emotional responses. Her ability to communicate complicated medical points clearly, to those without her detailed level of knowledge is also extremely impressive. She was happy to answer follow up questions where those arose post consultation. I am grateful that we were referred under her care. The only constructive point I would raise is that it would have been positive to see more of her. We only saw her briefly a small handful of times on the ward itself and whilst she has been visible and helpful at key points eg diagnosis and then again at determination to continue treatment after initial cycles, it would have been beneficial to see her during the cycles as well, other than occasionally, and in passing. I don't feel that she has really got to know our daughter, or us as a family very well, and we often felt quite isolated during our time on the ward, which made the experience harder.

14th November 2020

Dr Jessica is excellent at taking care of me. She asks good questions about what I’ve been doing at school. Anne-Marie (patient) Dr Bate is an excellent doctor. We have always felt secure in her as the doctor taking care of our daughter, she always makes us feel confident Anne-Marie is receiving the best care possible. She is also very good indeed with Anne-Marie. Parent

12th November 2020

For my very first meeting with Jessica Bates I knew that I was incredibly lucky to have her as my consultant. She gave me a belief that I could not only survive my illness, but live a full life whilst on treatment. She has gone over and above to ensure I get the right treatment and I trust her wholeheartedly.

• Oncology