Dr William Drake

• Endocrinology
  • Internal (General) Medicine

Written by a patient at The London Clinic
1st November 2019

I have been in the care of Professor Drake for over 10 years now and cannot find fault with his commitment to my health. His understanding, manner, along with his concern, is the height of professionalism. I can not recommend him enough.

Written by a patient at St Bartholomew's Hospital
29th September 2019

I was recommended to Professor W. Drake by Professor John Wass. I was desperately searching for help due to long standing complications of two brain tumours including Cushing's Disease, Pernicious Anaemia, Neuropathy, Bile Acid Malabsorption, Severe Fatigue, Physical Problems, Vasomotor Symptoms, Pulmonary Embolism (detected due to the diligence of Professor Drake and his team) For the first time since becoming ill, (8 years) I felt listened to, cared for, and my health problems taken very seriously. It was a revelation to be in the care of a professional, highly capable, motivated and caring team. It changed my life, in fact it saved my life and my sanity. At last I was in trusted hands and the feeling was overwhelming. After so many years of struggling, self advocating, praying and hoping for good care, I know first hand how patients suffer needlessly through delayed diagnosis, minimising of symptoms, inability to connect the dots, being told 'it's all in your head' by a specialist and constantly questioned about the reality of your suffering. Terms such as 'You cant have Cushing's, you would be very ill' / 'I don't know why you are having breathing problems' / I don't know why you are having diarrhoea and pain up to 20 times a day for 4 years that keeps you bed/housebound, maybe its just you' and so many more...... Professor Drake and his team - a) think b) look deeper c) consider all aspects of the patients symptoms and suffering d) actively seek solutions. Not once did I feel minimised, misunderstood, nor taken seriously. The human body is complex, interlinked and gives crisis cries via illness and disease. If we only consider one aspect we are missing the message. It can be challenging for sure but surely that's part of the process of an outstanding physician. Whatever is learned from complex cases benefits all and I need to know that my horrendous experience may help others. I would not wish anyone to suffer as I have suffered. Isn't that what makes us human? Professor Drake is a renowned specialist in his field and has many accolades but thankfully he is not a man of ego. He has not lost his humility, compassion, dedication, and commitment to his patients - He is the greatest example of 'Do No Harm' and I believe he radiates these qualities to his team. I don't have any constructive suggestions as my experience was outstanding. My gratitude to Professor Drake and his team. Catriona Nason

Written by a patient at The London Clinic
15th July 2019

I have been with Doctor, now Professor, Drake for some years now after my thyroid removal and could not praise him enough for all aspects of his approach to my continuing treatment.

Written by a patient at St Bartholomew's Hospital
24th June 2019

I had been diagnosed with Primary Hyperaldosteronism and had a confirming Adrenal Vein Sampling test completed at St Barts Hospital, London under the direction of Dr (Professor?) Drake. The AVS test is difficult to complete correctly, and looking at the results the SI index unequivocally showed they did not do the test correctly, as per the hospital's own guidelines, the (international) Endocrine Society Guidelines, and numerous others. Initially Dr (Professor?) Drake tried to prevent me getting access to my own test results, then when I got hold of them with an alternate strategy (via an SAR), and asked him about the results at my appointment, expressing my concerns that the test had not been successful, he just kept disregarding my concerns, shouting me down, and he then explained that he (and St Barts) did not follow their own (and international) guidelines, ignoring the AVS test the validity (SI) recommended threshold, because he said the threshold may change in the next year or two, so did not see any point in complying with the current guidelines? Essentially he just wanted to cover up his team's mistakes during the AVS test, instead of understanding the issue and simply repeating the test. In summary I could tolerate an arrogant consultant who is always right, but in my view a consultant who is both arrogant and ill-informed is a very dangerous combination - caveat emptor is my best advice with Dr (Professor?) Drake.

Nearest Endocrinologists