Dr Subramaniam Ramakrishnan

After my basic qualification I have completed more than 15 years of practice in the field of Gastroenterology and General medicine covering all aspects of this specialty. I have been practising as a Consultant Gastroenterologist since 2007 and have a specialist interest in all aspects of endoscopy, gastroenterology, liver and pancreatic disease. I have a keen interest in service development, teaching and training. As endoscopy lead I established a brand new three room endoscopy unit at Warrington Hospital and led the team to achieve national accreditation. I am currently the lead for Advancing Quality programme (AQuA) for the Trust and participate actively in achieving a high quality of care across both medical and surgical divisions of the hospital. As the joint lead for management of alcohol related liver disease for the AQuA programme I have streamlined guidelines for evidence based high quality management of this condition. I teach all levels of trainees nurses and colleagues to update them of recent advances and techniques. I am currently the lead for research in Gastroenterology for the Trust and we are actively recruiting to several national trials. As a keen family man, I enjoy my spare time interacting with children and travelling as much as possible. I also enjoy many sports, particularly cricket.

I pride myself in being very open with patients and am keen to promote a patient centred approach to managing their illnesses. Procedures: Gastroscopy, Colonoscopy, ERCP Conditions: Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Gastro oesophageal reflux disease (GORD) Ulcerative Colitis/ Crohn's disease Celiac Disease Liver problems Alcohol related problems Gallstones Cancer of gullet, stomach, bowel, pancreas and liver Investigations for: Heartburn, Indigestion, Bloating Constipation, Diarrhoea Bleeding from back passage/stomach/bowel Jaundice Anaemia

• Gastroenterology
  • Internal (General) Medicine

16th February 2018
Written by a patient at Spire Cheshire Hospital

Dr Ram is clearly a national expert in his field. Of that there is no doubt - a brief scan at his experience, career, and influence thus far makes that clear. As impressive though, is his ability and desire to apply that experience incredibly effectively to the layperson - ie the patient coming to him with the type of worries that so many of us have, re our health. His personal/people skills are outstanding. He relates so well to the people for whom he is a consultant (I write both personally and on behalf of my daughter whom he treated some five years ago). He shows a real interest and willingness to listen, which is refreshing and encouraging for the patient. Allied to that is a calm but appropriately assertive confidence as to what is the right way ahead, what the sensible options are and how best to proceed with the choices involved. This inevitably brings with it a reassurance and sense of positivity in terms of the future. The words of the rubric attached to this review ask for 'suggestions on how they could improve to give even greater care...' I honestly cannot think of any. I commend Dr Ram's approach as 'Outstanding in every area.' (As someone who has experienced many OFSTED inspections in my area - Education, I am very clear exactly what this choice of words means). My only suggestion therefore is 'Keep on doing what you're doing Dr Ram - and thank you...!'

14th February 2018
Written by a patient at Spire Cheshire Hospital

Dr Ram is fantastic! Put me completely at ease throughout my procedure and thoroughly listened to my symptoms which lead to him understanding my concerns and quickly getting to the cause of the problem. I would not hesitate to visit him again or recommend him to anyone with gastro issues.

11th February 2018
Written by a patient at Spire Cheshire Hospital

I was seen by Dr Ramakrishnan in early January 2018 about a long-standing GE issue. I found him to be friendly, a good listener and an excellent explainer. He arranged the necessary tests and explained the results in a very comprehendible way. I have no hesitation in recommending him to anyone with gastroenterological issues and would certainly seek him out if further consultations become necessary.

7th February 2018
Written by a patient at Spire Cheshire Hospital

This doctor made the whole experience as stress free as possible. His is a very considerate and knowledgeable doctor and suggested ways to live a healthier life

18th January 2018
Written by a patient at Warrington Hospital

I was taken under the care of Dr Ramakrishnan last April 2017, following a fairly intense flare-up of IBD, of which I had been diagnosed the previous year. I would not hesitate to say that he is by far and away the most competent Doctor I have ever had the good fortune to be treated by, not to mention being a truly kind spirited and pleasant person. I was fairly intimidated by my diagnosis and the illness generally, but having had a number of consultations with Dr Ram, he has left me feeling in a much greater degree of control over my condition; his positive mentality, sense of calm, and level of knowledge make me feel as though the IBD is more worried of Dr Ram than I am of the IBD :) Thank you, Dr Ram.

Nearest Gastroenterologists