Dr Robin Bell

• Genitourinary Medicine and Sexual Health

17th June 2016
Written by a patient at Royal Cornwall Hospital

After a recent sexual encounter abroad, I was worried that I may have caught HIV and was going through one of the most terrifying experiences of my life. This was making me suffer from severe anxiety and I thought I was experiencing all kinds of symptoms. I visited the drop-in clinic and saw Doctor Robin Bell. I explained my situation to him and he immediately put me at ease with both his knowledge and his superb communication skills. He told me to phone him if I ever needed to talk to him, which I did a couple of times during the weeks between my initial visit and final test and he offered me excellent support over the phone, which calmed me down when I was worrying. I was pleased to discover that all my results were fine and that I had been worrying over nothing but I cannot thank Doctor Bell enough for everything he did for me.

13th November 2014
Written by a patient at Royal Cornwall Hospital

Absolutely superb in manner, expertise and care. In a clinic where taboos are sadly still sometimes a problem, to encounter such a warm and caring person as Dr Bell was marvelously reassuring. I know it asks for suggestions for improvement but I really could not give any - the standard of care given really could not have been higher.

31st May 2014
Written by a patient at St Mary's Hospital

Dr Bell is a legend, helped me from 1994-98 when he was at St Mary's in London, something happened to me which amplified my anxiety a hundred fold, went to his unit, helped me with his fantastic and sincere attitude, over the years I would visit him, even if he was in a different dept - he would take his time to listen to me and ALWAYS put me at ease, I would write down his advice on scraps of paper, some of which I have kept till this day. I never had the chance to say thank you to such a lovely person as he left quite suddenly, but if you are reading this Robin, thank you very much sir!..all good now, unfortunately depression and OCD are my main concern nowadays oh and two growing kids;)..but thank you for all your help all those years ago..you know who I am.. A.

26th April 2013
Written by a patient at Royal Cornwall Hospital

Everybody finds the GU clinic a bit scary. It just is. For me it's a bit more than scary. I was sexually assaulted 10 years ago and find the examinations difficult after my experiences. After the assault I was examined by a male doctor... it was traumatic to say the least. Just to add insult to injury I have also had cells removed from my cervix (bear with me I am trying to build up a scenario) so I have been examined by various doctors, nurses, blah blah. The point is this. Dr Bell is extraordinary. His approach, helpful manner and wit are second to none. I have NEVER ever felt so at 'ease' (relatively speaking) when having said examination. Having seen him twice now I can honestly say I will not see any other GU doctor unless I really have to. I was nervous the first time I went to his clinic; nervous about the examination and (wrongly so) the fact, he is of course, a man! Pah! No female has ever treated me with such tenderness. I would like to thank Dr Bell and I meant to say it today but after my last visit I called my mum (confidant and aide) and cried (for quite some time) about the fact it was ok, that a man had dealt with me and it had gone well. I cried that my fear was over; believe me the police examination was horrific. I can't recommend Dr Bell highly enough. I never ever thought I'd get the chance to conquer the fear of a male examiner... but I did and he's the best :-) Who is in control? His patient :-)

8th March 2013
Written by a patient at Royal Cornwall Hospital

Dr Bell listened carefully to what was happening to me, he was kind and sensitive and went out of his way to give me the best help he could.

Nearest Genitourinary medicine and sexual health specialists

Short link to review Dr Robin Bell: http://iwgc.net/ep99