Dr Robert Sutherland

• Anaesthetics and ITU

25th May 2018
Written by a patient at Western General Hospital

I had a RIG fitted at the Western General Hospital in Edinburgh. Dr Rob Sutherland was my anaesthetist. He was magnificent. He phoned at home before I went into to hospital to reassure me. Saw me in the ward on the morning of the procedure and was able to help me understand fully what was involved. The visit to the Radiological Theatre at the Western General was a very pleasant experience. I was awake for the nasal tube insertion which was not a problem. I watched the ultra sound scan. I felt the antiseptic being applied. I was played pleasant classical music. I soon drifted off only to walk up and find the staff were getting ready to transfer me back to my bed. I was immediately fully awake and feeling fine and soon transferred back to the ward. I had really no pain. Some paracetamol on the afternoon after the procedure and some codeine in the early hours of the next day. I left hospital 24 hours after the procedure. No further use of painkillers. Rob Sutherland phoned me at home the following day. A very good experience - much of it down to Dr Rob Sutherland

15th May 2018
Written by a patient at Western General Hospital

Dr Sutherland helped me feel relaxed before my procedure. He fully explained what was going to happen. He also visited me after the procedure to reassure me everything had gone well. I can’t thank Dr Sutherland and his team enough, they took great care of me and I very much appreciate it.

10th December 2017
Written by a patient at Western General Hospital

Very well cared for By Dr Sutherland he put me totally at ease and explained everything before I was anaesthetised , he phoned me before my appointment to asked questions he then made an appointment to see me before the procedure I can't thank him enough for helping me get through the MRI scan , the aftercare was first class by himself and his team .

30th October 2017
Written by a patient at Western General Hospital

Dr Sutherland went out of his way to make me feel at ease whilst undergoing a mri scan recently. His whole team went above and beyond to ensure I was comfortable and fully aware of the procedure.

16th October 2017
Written by a patient at Western General Hospital

Dr Sutherland is a friendly open and very professional doctor. He treats you as an individual listening, explaining and answering questions in a calm and relaxed manner. This gives you confidence in what lies ahead. He was in telephone contact with me before my procedure then in person on the day both pre and post procedure. This made all the difference and everything went according to plan with no concerns.

Nearest Anaesthetists and ITU specialists