Dr Richard Watkin

Dr Richard Watkin is a consultant cardiologist working primarily at Heart of England NHS Foundation Trust. He has expertise in all aspects of coronary intervention for stable and unstable coronary syndromes. His work in general cardiology includes the investigation and treatment of chest pain, palpitations, hypertension (including renal sympathetic denervation), heart failure and shortness of breath. He is a national expert in infective endcarditis and was awarded an MD from the University of Birmingham for research into the molecular aspects of this disease. Dr Watkin is the Clinical Lead for Cardiology at Good Hope Hospital, Sutton Coldfield. For NHS appointments to see Dr Watkin please ask your GP to refer directly. For private appointments contact Spire Little Aston Hospital (0121 3536637) or Jo Horton (Dr Watkin's private secretary on 07827 446803 or email: johorton@sky.com) For more information: www.drwatkin.co.uk

31st May 2018
Written by a patient at Spire Little Aston Hospital

I had to see Dr Watkins on two occasions and I would highly recommend him.On the second appointment he explained in a very clear and easy manner the results of the tests and totally reassured me of the outcome and put me completely at ease. Totally professional in his approach and clearly has a tremendous depth of knowledge in his chosen area and vast experience which is exactly what you want in these circumstances.

4th April 2018
Written by a patient at Good Hope Hospital

I am a 45 year old lady a patient under Mr Watkins. This doctor reassured me in lots of ways and helped me understand my diagnosis. Mr Watkins explains everything and will help and advise in anyway. I am currently still in hospital and will be for several weeks for having treatment for infective Endocarditis.

1st August 2017
Written by a patient at Spire Little Aston Hospital

In the usual older male practice of denial I made an outpatient appointment to see Richard Watkin at Little Aston. After an informative consultation and returning for a scan and tests, the time came when I had to tell my wife! She then attended with me and kept an eye on me while I had a stent fitted at The Priory Hospital. We were both given the greatest confidence in the treatment and advice given by Dr Watkin. The procedure was fairly stress-free and involved only a one night stay at The Priory. I was then referred back to Good Hope NHS for their Cardiac Rehabilitation Programme which I have found to be excellent!

16th November 2015
Written by a patient at Good Hope Hospital

Understanding, thorough, dynamic, efficient and patient whilst he listens to your problems, which to you are enormous but medically may not be so bad, and treats every question with a professional response injecting humour when required to relax you. All methods of treatment are explained clearly to you with the benefits and deficits of each course of action outlined. I first saw Dr Watkins in action when I was in Good Hope hospital under another consultant and I was therefore able to see first hand how Dr Watson dealt with patients without having a connection to him - I was impressed. I have also seen Dr Watson as a private patient [both under health insurance and self funding] and in modern parlance I believe I got, and still get, excellent value for my money. I feel confident whilst in his care. Dr Watkin has helped me to resolve problems relating to minor strokes, irregular heart beat and low blood pressure. Treatment has involved cardioversions, pacemaker, drugs and the numerous tests relating to the heart. One improvement that I would suggest is that because Dr Watkin is dynamic sometimes the odd minor admin matter may slip through the net because of pressure of work. This is more a matter of inconvenience which has always been remedied via Dr Watkin's equally efficient private secretary.

22nd October 2015
Written by a patient at Good Hope Hospital

Following a serious heart attack in September of 1999 I have been living with and managing my condition with the help of a lot of dedicated medical professionals and physical trainers. Richard is the second Consultant Cardiologist I have worked with, both of them brilliant men within in their speciality. From a patient's point of view it is very important to be listened to whilst being reassured with a calm and positive bedside manner. I have been very fortunate with all of the people who have looked after me for the past sixteen years, especially my recently retired GP and particularly Richard Watkin. I first met Richard in 2012 following an emergency referral by my GP with classic symptoms of another heart attack on the way in my opinion. I was admitted to Good Hope Hospital and placed in the observation ward overnight. Following a short consult the next morning during which Richard listened intently to my comments and experience, he immediately sent me to Heartlands Hospital for an Angiogram. This procedure showed my right hand cardiac artery to be completely blocked which turned into an Angioplasty consisting of installing three stents in series and unblocking the artery. A two hour procedure. Half an hour later I was sitting up in bed enjoying chicken curry and tea and feeling fantastic and on my feet two hours after that. I was discharged the next day and have not looked back since including two exercise ecg tests for the DVLA on a treadmill, all supervised by Richard. My recent results indicated that I am in good shape and doing very well. Richard said exactly those words. For an exceptionally busy man Richard always makes time, listens intently and it is very obvious to me that he cares a great deal for his patients. An outstanding Consultant and superb compassionate man indeed. Thank you very much Richard! Peter Ingley

Nearest Cardiologists