Dr Piyusha Kapila
12th January 2020
with our young child we felt not really listened to as clearly something was not right however we received no medication or anything that was helpful. for a month we went 3 times to the hospital and it was always the same advice, it will go away soon, but in the mean time our child had pain and was not sleeping etc.
twice a test was done, we had to chase Dr Kapila for the results and each time there was a problem with the lab according to her. we never got the results! makes me very upset, thinking about this again, such a lack of care.
also once what was described in the consult became something more serious in the letter we received later. how come Dr Kapila changed the diagnosis? very odd no actions was taken at the time if it was that serious. something really wrong here.
we can understand a doctor who wants to give as little medication as possible but if that means it will get worse later, it is not a good approach according to us.
20th January 2020
Response from Dr Piyusha Kapila
You have my sympathies as I understand how stressful it is for parents when a child is unwell. That is why I provide parents like yourselves with my contact details after I have seen their child , so that they can communicate their anxieties to me. Unfortunately it is not appropriate, even though it would be very easy for me, to prescribe antibiotics for viral infections.
I am sorry to hear that you feel that I changed the diagnosis in my letter to you. This Is not my practice as I phone parents directly if there additional information. I have reviewed the notes of the children I saw in December affected by the problem with the swabs, and cannot find any in whom this happened. I would be happy to discuss this with you directly as there clearly is some confusion here.
Infection samples for bacteria are analysed in an external laboratory, and can take 3 days to process. In December the swabs were processed only for MRSA, not the full screen I had requested, as the samples were from the nose. I had to call the laboratory staff many times to get the tests processed correctly which took time again. I notified all families that were affected, updated them of the proceedings and from the information provided I can see yours was one of them, and the eventual results. My apologies if you feel this was not in a timely manner. but it was beyond my control. I have complained to the senior laboratory staff as it is a big risk, and have a meeting scheduled on 27th January, delayed because of the holiday period, about this. I am happy to share the contact details of the Clinical Director of the laboratory with you if you message me directly ( or you can ask the Paediatric nurses)