Dr Philip Mairs

• Gastroenterology
  • Internal (General) Medicine

13th July 2015
Written by a patient at Darent Valley Hospital

I'm under Dr Mairs' care at Darent Valley Hospital. I was admitted to hospital with a bad flare of ulcerative colitis in April this year and was in for just over 2 weeks. I was first put on hydrocortisone four times daily for the first week and then switched to prednisolone. Unfortunately it took my body quite a long time to respond and start getting better. I felt as though Dr Mairs genuinely listened to my concerns about biologics treatments that were suggested which I wasn't keen on trying, even though my options were quite limited. He also carried out a sigmoidoscopy to check the state of my bowel to ensure the medication/way forward we'd agreed on was suitable. Fortunately we got the flare under control and I was most grateful I wasn't forced into trying any medication I wasn't comfortable with. I feel he was clear about what my options were, what the chances of success were with different treatments etc. Basically I felt well informed and supported in my decisions and most of all I felt safe being under his care.

Nearest Gastroenterologists