Dr Nicholas Mann

• Psychiatry

11th June 2017
Written by a patient at Welland Centre

Dr Mann has always been a great listener and has always tried to do his very best for me. He listens to my opinions and works with me when it comes to issues with medication. He tries to keep me voluntary but unfortunately, my behaviour get's out of control and I end up sectioned. The last time in hospital I threatened him verbally and I was very aggressive. He doesn't deserve this and I'm very sorry for my behaviour. Dr Mann is a nice guy and it's good to have a psychiatrist that will meet you at your level and be honest and caring with you. I think I've blown it with him and the Welland centre because I was too much of a nasty beggar. Oh well... I never meant to be such a swine but I was traumatised greatly by my thoughts and visions resulting in some devastating behaviour. I'm currently going through the process of trying to forgive myself and I've definitely been scarred by my experience which is no one's fault but my own. I hope to see Dr Mann one day and hopefully repair the good professional relationship we had.

14th April 2017
Written by a patient at Welland Centre

I did "want great care" but sadly with Dr Mann, that was not what I received. I feel compelled to write this review because although I was able to articulate my distress, many others may not be able to. Asking for help when you are feeling desperate is incredibly difficult... I have been battling for just over 2 years so for me to admit and actually ask for help was huge! My GP was excellent, she listened, saw how bad things had become and made an urgent referral. The Mental Health team were excellent - I had a really lengthy and detailed assessment (just over 2 hours where the MH nurse I spoke to, really took the time to really find out what had been going on). That assessment resulted in another urgent referral to the Crisis Team. I saw them them the very next day and again, the service I received was excellent. My life had literally blown up and I was lower than I have ever been. I had asked to be admitted to hospital because my ability to function properly had all but ground to a halt, I was an emotional wreck and I just could not cope! I had a meeting with a psychiatrist (NOT Dr Mann) who on the back of an already detailed assessment spent time with me, listening and like my GP and the MH Nurse before, agreed that I would benefit from an inpatient stay where my medication could be adjusted and monitored and during that time, whilst it took effect I could have the time and support necessary to help get me back on track. Up until that point all the care I had received was excellent! I was admitted to hospital the very next day and I have spent just under 2 weeks trying to get Dr Mann to listen and see what everyone else before him was able to see. Asking for help when you feel you're so hopeless and that you'd be better off dead is hard but not being able to make somebody hear or understand that is both exhausting and utterly soul destroying! Dr Mann does not listen! He would not be swayed and no matter how many times and how many different ways I tried to tell him, he refused to listen to me. People do not ask to go into a Mental Health Hospital for fun... it is an incredibly difficult thing to do. There are not separate wards for separate problems so there are very unwell people there with a variety of challenging issues. I didn't want to be there but I knew I needed help. It was stressful and the environment was anything but calm and tranquil but despite all of that, I felt it was a better and safer option for me whilst I was in the state I was in. He disagreed and kept telling me that I needed to face my problems not hide from them in hospital. I was and I am well aware of that... all I was asking for was a bit of time and a bit of help. I kept asking, but he refused to hear. Now I am back home, things are worse and have no idea what to do next. I was able to articulate all of this and still it made no difference. I worry terribly for the people there who are unable to do so. From reading the other reviews, it seems my experience is not unique to me and for anybody in such a horrible and vulnerable state this is unacceptable! If you or a friend/ family member are in a similar situation, demand to see another psychiatrist - asking for help is hard, do not let this man stop you from getting the help you deserve!

27th January 2017
Written by a patient at St Mary's Hospital

Worst experience ever of a psychiatrist, completely dismissive, and discharged me without listening to me.

30th May 2015
Written by a patient at Welland Centre

A wonderful doctor thank you for helping me

26th May 2015
Written by a carer at Welland Centre

Doctor Mann, Was caring, patient and importantly steadfast in his approach ;which proved to be right. He was very capable at reading the circumstances and character of the patient and met requests with compassion and carefully responded with quiet strength, that the current approach was working and should be maintained. His work was wonderful as was that of all the team at the Welland centre sandpiper ward who are just fantastic. I and my children cant express are gratitude for their work but will be forever grateful.

Short link to review Dr Nicholas Mann: http://iwgc.net/egf66