Mr Michael Pellen

Consultant Upper Gastrointestinal, Bariatric and General Surgeon (East Yorkshire, United Kingdom) Areas of Specialist Interest: Laparoscopic (keyhole) surgery Gallbladder and all types of hernia surgery Anti-reflux surgery Weight loss (bariatric) surgery

Written by a patient at Castle Hill Hospital
26th November 2019

As this was the first time i had ever been in hospital or under a general anaesthetic i was, understandably quite nervous! (and, thanks to google, concerned about the GA and the op) Mr. Pellen quelled all my worries and gave me the correct information. The operation went very smoothly (I think! I was asleep!). Recovery took longer than i expected both in the hospital and at home - but i think i was expecting a lot! The nursing team in the hospital were very good and looked after me. For anyone going for a double laparoscopic hernia surgery you will read of horror stories about the gas filled stomach and the pain in your shoulders (potentially) afterwards (i didn't get any!), get some peppermint oil powder to dilute into a warm drink - this helps massively. DONT drink a massive amount after the surgery in case you have trouble getting it back out of you! I was really thirsty after nil-by-mouth and immediately drank 500ml water then three cups of tea then couldn't pee! So ended up with an overnight stay until i was back to normal, no catheter tho, so that was good! The glue, stuck on the outside of the incision areas, does eventually peel away-but i would recommend shaving prior to surgery if you're hairy like me! Listen to the Dr's and nurses when they tell you not to lift anything for a while! I have three young children and did too much too soon which prolonged my recovery. But 4 weeks later i was back cycling to work left with extremely small marks on my abdomen. Still occasional pains while the mesh is knitting to my insides but mostly back to normal 7 weeks after surgery. What i would say is that if you're worried about the surgery dont put it off! Definitely more comfortable now than when i had the hernia, and wouldn't want to risk open surgery in an emergency (less than 1% of cases! Dont read google!)

15th November 2019

Mr Pellen is an exceptional clinician. His friendly professionalism and bedside manner puts you at ease, as he explains things in an understandable way. His focus is clearly on the care of his patients as he goes out of his way to look after you in a sensitive and empathic way. Highly recommend.

1st April 2019

I have just undergone a laparoscopic cholecystectomy, performed by Mr Pellen at the Spire Hospital in Hull. During my initial consultation, Mr Pellen explained the procedure and potential risks in great detail, whilst at the same time reassuring me. The consultation was not rushed and Mr Pellen listened carefully to my questions and concerns. From the outset, he completely put me at ease. He also took the time to ask me about my work, my family and other interests and I really felt that he wanted to get to know me as a patient, rather than just another name on his list. On the day of the surgery, Mr Pellen visited me prior to the operation and once again went through the details of what was about to happen. He made me feel completely at ease and confident about the procedure, despite my natural anxieties about having surgery under general anaesthetic. After the surgery, Mr Pellen came to visit me to explain how the surgery had gone and to explain the next steps in terms of making a good recovery. My wife and son were visiting at the time and he took the time to talk to my 6 year old son, asking him about his favourite films to watch in the car on a long journey! Overall, Mr Pellen is a true professional who clearly makes personal care for the patient a priority. I would highly recommend him to anyone requiring this, or similar, surgery. He's a first rate consultant!

6th February 2019

I was referred for a key hole gall bladder removal at the Spire Hospital Hull. Being very anxious about the procedure and having a GA I had a lot of questions which Mr Pellen answered very openly and I felt I could trust him. Some of the questions that I asked were very direct about success rates and surgical complications which Mr Pellen answered in a very open and direct way. This gave me the confidence to opt for Mr Pellen and the Spire Hull for my procedure. I felt that from the very start I had absolutely first class care not only from Mr Pellen but from all the team at the Spire. I was given a Pre Med to help with the anxiety by the anesthetist and had one to one nursing following recovery. Mr Pellen was kind enough to get me my first choice of anesthetist and this also helped with the anxiety of having a GA for serious surgery. Should I have to go through anything like this again I would have no hesitation in choosing Mr Pellen as my Consultant Surgeon.

Short link to review Mr Michael Pellen: http://iwgc.net/ecpy9