Mr Michael Pellen

Consultant Upper Gastrointestinal, Bariatric and General Surgeon (East Yorkshire, United Kingdom) Areas of Specialist Interest: Laparoscopic (keyhole) surgery Gallbladder and all types of hernia surgery Anti-reflux surgery Weight loss (bariatric) surgery

6th February 2019
Written by a patient at Spire Hull and East Riding Hospital

I was referred for a key hole gall bladder removal at the Spire Hospital Hull. Being very anxious about the procedure and having a GA I had a lot of questions which Mr Pellen answered very openly and I felt I could trust him. Some of the questions that I asked were very direct about success rates and surgical complications which Mr Pellen answered in a very open and direct way. This gave me the confidence to opt for Mr Pellen and the Spire Hull for my procedure. I felt that from the very start I had absolutely first class care not only from Mr Pellen but from all the team at the Spire. I was given a Pre Med to help with the anxiety by the anesthetist and had one to one nursing following recovery. Mr Pellen was kind enough to get me my first choice of anesthetist and this also helped with the anxiety of having a GA for serious surgery. Should I have to go through anything like this again I would have no hesitation in choosing Mr Pellen as my Consultant Surgeon.

24th November 2018
Written by a patient at Spire Hull and East Riding Hospital

I recently attended The Spire Hospital for a hernia repair. I chose an appointment for a consultation, and very fortunately fell under the care of Mr Pellen. Mr Pellen's personality and demeanour immediately appealed to me, and he proceeded to explain everything I needed to know about the procedure required to repair my hernia. I am 64 years old and had never had a general anaesthetic, and was very apprehensive, so much so that I was considering a local anaesthetic, but this would have restricted me to open surgery. Mr Pellen dispelled all my concerns, and I elected to have the laparoscopic surgery with a general anaesthetic. I'm so relieved I went for that option, as I found the general anaesthetic absolutely fantastic, and felt completely fine for the whole time. The surgery was a revelation to me, as I had so little discomfort. I left the hospital with my painkillers to hand, only to find that I didn't need a single one of them. I was moving around the following day as if I'd never had surgery at all, much to the surprise of my family and friends. I was virtually pain free apart from just the odd twinge, and although I know we are all different, I think this is completely attributable to Mr Pellen's superb laparoscopic skills. My wounds are healing very nicely, and I'm now ready to go back to work without the worries about my hernia. I feel so grateful that I had the good fortune to have been under Mr Pellen's care. I now also have the comfort of knowing that he's there, should I need his expert skills in the future. Thank you very much Mr Pellen for everything you have done for me. Mr David Swanborough

16th August 2018
Written by a patient at Spire Hull and East Riding Hospital

As I suffer from an anxiety disorder I was exceptionally nervous before my initial consultation with Mr Pellen. I needn't have been. He skillfully put me at ease and listened carefully to everything I said. At no time did I feel rushed nor that any question I asked was too trivial. On the day of the operation (gallbladder removal) part of me wss considerIng running screaming from the hospital, gown flapping round my ankles. Surely I could outrun the nurses? Then Mr Pellet came to see me before the op and suddenly I had the confidence to go ahead.. The operation was successful and I am healing very well. IMr Pellet came to see me twice after the op and I have since had a follow-up consultation. On each occasion I have nothing but the highest praise for him. I cannot thank him enough and unhesitatingly recommend him to you.

3rd August 2018
Written by a patient at Hull Royal Infirmary

A great Doctor, attentive to anything big or small I mentioned reguarding my symptoms. Bedside mannor was ideal in his approach, demeanour and general attitude and mentality gave me a more positive outlook on my predicament than I first had. And the care was superlative in that I was treated quickly and appropriately. In my opinion he was the idyllic doctor for me and the case I presented given the additional features to my scenario (such as high weight and a relatively young age for my dignosis.) subsequently there is no doctor or trait within a doctor I would have desired over the care Mr Pellen presented to me.

10th April 2018
Written by a patient at Spire Hull and East Riding Hospital

I have had he pleasure or seeing Mr Pellen on several occasions now, all of which have been a pleasure even given the circumstances. Mr Pellen is the most professional yet caring and passionate individual I have ever come across. Mr Pellen has gone above and beyond to attend to my needs before and after my surgery. He fills me with confidence when discussing anything regarding surgery or after care. It has been a pleasure being a patient of his and he is an absolute credit to any hospital he may work in. Once again thank you for everything! A super happy patient ! Shanice Bulman.

Short link to review Mr Michael Pellen: http://iwgc.net/ecpy9