dr-michael-pellen

2nd August 2020

My experience of treatment with Mr Pellen and his colleagues and all other staff at Spire Hospital, Hull was excellent in every way. Everyone was professional and courteous in every aspect of my experience at Spire, e.g. phone calls, advice and follow-up information. Would highly recommend their care of patients.

14th February 2020

Mr Pellen performed a Heller's Cardiomyotomy with Dor Fundoplication to treat my type 2 Achalasia. I have an oesophagus with very intermittent motility and my stomach wouldn't open properly to pass food. I vomited every meal and was losing weight rapidly. I had my surgery six weeks ago. I haven't vomited once. I have had no pain and it has been such a joy to be able to eat again. I'm looking forward to being able to put weight on and get back to full fitness. Mr Pellen was brilliant with me. He took time to explain the procedure and seems to have done an excellent job. I couldn't be more thankful.

12th February 2020

Mr Pellen is an absolutely incredible surgeon with the most wonderful bedside manner. His whole team couldn't have been more lovely and helpful throughout the whole process, with no question too small or silly to ask. I had a laparoscopic inguinal hernia repair and this is the first time I have had key hole surgery. Mr Pellen was excellent at the initial consultation and explained everything in a manor that I could understand. On the day of the procedure he came to see me to talk through any last minute concerns I may have and reassure me that everything will be fine. Once the procedure was over he came back again to check I was comfortable and let me know that everything went well and also what I should expect during my recovery. A very professional experience from start to finish and can't recommend enough.

Written by a patient at Castle Hill Hospital
26th November 2019

As this was the first time i had ever been in hospital or under a general anaesthetic i was, understandably quite nervous! (and, thanks to google, concerned about the GA and the op) Mr. Pellen quelled all my worries and gave me the correct information. The operation went very smoothly (I think! I was asleep!). Recovery took longer than i expected both in the hospital and at home - but i think i was expecting a lot! The nursing team in the hospital were very good and looked after me. For anyone going for a double laparoscopic hernia surgery you will read of horror stories about the gas filled stomach and the pain in your shoulders (potentially) afterwards (i didn't get any!), get some peppermint oil powder to dilute into a warm drink - this helps massively. DONT drink a massive amount after the surgery in case you have trouble getting it back out of you! I was really thirsty after nil-by-mouth and immediately drank 500ml water then three cups of tea then couldn't pee! So ended up with an overnight stay until i was back to normal, no catheter tho, so that was good! The glue, stuck on the outside of the incision areas, does eventually peel away-but i would recommend shaving prior to surgery if you're hairy like me! Listen to the Dr's and nurses when they tell you not to lift anything for a while! I have three young children and did too much too soon which prolonged my recovery. But 4 weeks later i was back cycling to work left with extremely small marks on my abdomen. Still occasional pains while the mesh is knitting to my insides but mostly back to normal 7 weeks after surgery. What i would say is that if you're worried about the surgery dont put it off! Definitely more comfortable now than when i had the hernia, and wouldn't want to risk open surgery in an emergency (less than 1% of cases! Dont read google!)

15th November 2019

Mr Pellen is an exceptional clinician. His friendly professionalism and bedside manner puts you at ease, as he explains things in an understandable way. His focus is clearly on the care of his patients as he goes out of his way to look after you in a sensitive and empathic way. Highly recommend.

Consultant Upper Gastrointestinal, Bariatric and General Surgeon (East Yorkshire, United Kingdom) Areas of Specialist Interest: Laparoscopic (keyhole) surgery Gallbladder and all types of hernia surgery Anti-reflux surgery Weight loss (bariatric) surgery

Short link to review Mr Michael Pellen: http://iwgc.net/ecpy9