Dr Matthew Ginks

• Cardiology

Written by a patient at The John Radcliffe
9th December 2019

I had probably been suffering from arrhythmia for quite a long time before I realised that it was making an impact on my life at 67 years, but wanting to be as active as a fifty year old. In contrast to an earlier experience elsewhere, Dr Ginks took a very different approach, empathetic and one of listening and understanding of my ambition to reinstate the active life I had previously valued. Straightforward explanations and illustrations followed and questions answered: it was easy to be led through the process, building confidence that the proposed treatment could be successful and that I would ultimately be able to regain the same levels of fitness of a few years previously as I had enjoyed before. A cardioversion was performed and demonstrated quite quickly that a normal heart rhythm could be reinstated. But it was short-lived and I reverted to AF. This did, however, indicate that a catheter ablation could well work for me and having worked through the risks and the procedure, I committed to undertake the operation. Great outcome: I have maintained sinus rhythm since the ablation and my AF symptoms, specifically breathlessness when taking any strenuous exercise, seem to be a thing of the past. I hesitated to write too quickly – in the immediate aftermath it all seemed a bit too good to believe, but six months down the line, I can say that I feel great and ready for a Munro! My thanks to the whole team at the Radcliffe – but above all to Dr Ginks for his encouragement and ability to build confidence in the treatment he recommended.

Written by a patient at The John Radcliffe
19th March 2019

At 56 and having had arrhythmia (SVT) twice a month or more for many years and it becoming increasingly troublesome, particularly at meetings after travel - ie stress related - me having to sit in the car until it subsided - I was advised to see Dr Ginks during a annual Health Check. He was extrememly approachable, knowledgeable, informative and re-assuring during a consultation, confirming that this procedure was very normal in todays medicine and quite likely to be successful. Very transparent in his approach. It was easy to diarise both consultation and procedure, and on the day all went smoothly, including my husband being made to feel comfortable staying on-site waiting for me. Two months on, not a murmer from the heart! Job done!

Short link to review Dr Matthew Ginks: http://iwgc.net/eftsz