Dr Mark Vettraino

• Psychiatry

21st November 2017
Written by a patient at Coathill Hospital

Mark is a very professional psychiatrist and helped me immensely with my problems. Mark went above and beyond and made sure to let me know he was always willing to help if I ever needed it outside of an appointment. Mark is very direct and forward going, and I think this is why people find him off putting. He doesn't tolerate silliness and tells you exactly how it is, rather than just telling you what you want to hear. He will not coddle you but will tell you directly what you should try or need to do to help yourself. Mark is very patient and relaxing to talk to, and is an amazing listener. He listened to both me and my mother as what we actually had to say was relevant and important, he was also very sharp to pick up on the situation and what we were saying. Mark definitely knows what he is talking about. He notices symptoms very quickly but yet does not jump to conclusions and is hesitant to fling out diagnosis or medication on a whim, which is much better than just having being immediately labelled with a diagnosis. Mark helped to keep me calm, shared many coping techniques with me and was also excellent at helping to figure out the root of the problem. He was also very helpful in explaining medication usage, including side effects and dealing with any other concerns I had while I was on medication. Mark also offered me many different options including blood tests and MRI scans to really find the root of the problem and narrow everything down bit by bit without jumping to conclusions. After seeing Mark for a few months and learning different coping techniques and ways to ease my mind, I felt I was able to safely go back to my normal life, and this would have not happened without his help. Overall Mark is very generous and understanding yet extremely direct and honest. I would 100% recommend him but not for people who want to be coddled and not make any effort on their own part.

9th September 2016
Written by a carer at Coathill Hospital

He is without doubt the rudest man/doctor I've ever come across. He actually had my child in tears due to constantly goading her. He is an absolute disgrace! I can't believe this man is allowed to work with anyone with mental health issues never mind vulnerable children and teenagers. He doesn't listen to anything you have to say and seems to go out of his way to be argumentative rather than sensitive to what the child and the parents are going through. I'd have expected a professional in such a trusted position to be a lot more understanding of how desperately worried parents are feeling by the time their child has been referred to him. Also would showing a tiny bit of compassion be too much to ask for? Yes I understand that it's important the child speaks for themselves but some kids don't find it easy to explain their feelings to a stranger. He seems to completely disregard any input from the parents which he demonstrates by sticking his hand up in your face to let you know to be quiet. I can only imagine that there must be a desperate shortage of child psychiatrists. He without a doubt set my child back. She was terrified of going to see him which I think for someone doing the job he is should make him thoroughly ashamed of himself.

2nd November 2013
Written by a carer at Coathill Hospital

I would not recommend this doctor

Nearest Psychiatrists