Dr Marie Savage

• Psychiatry

27th July 2016
Written by a patient at Ysbyty Gwynedd

Not surprised to read a bad review of Marie Savage. She is notorious in north Wales for her bad care, bullying ways and neglect of patients. I made a serious complaint about Marie Savage's friend and mentor Dr Tony Roberts - the complaint was so serious that lawyers were called in and I ended up going directly to the Welsh Government regarding my concerns. After doing this I was subjected to severe harassment, threats and abuse from people associated with the north Wales mental health services. Just after my lawyers wrote to the hospital where Marie Savage worked, I was in a queue in Tesco in Bangor buying sandwiches, only to find myself unfortunately standing next to Marie Savage. I said nothing to her but as soon as she saw me she shoved her face up close to mine and yelled 'If you do anything to me I'll call the police'. She then ran out of the store laughing loudly. I was mystified by this extraordinary response but in view of the harassment I had been receiving from some of Savage's colleagues I immediately returned to my office and contacted my lawyer. My lawyer wrote to the health authority that employed Marie Savage to ask for an explanation. We never received a reply. North Wales is full of patients who have first hand accounts of very negative encounters with Marie Savage. I was told that many complaints about her were made. The Hergest Unit where she was a consultant gained a dreadful reputation with numerous patient deaths and two staff suicides. At one point Marie Savage was the consultant running the 'intensive care unit' ie locked ward - a truly rash appointment. The Health Board running the Hergest Unit is now in special measures because of the problems in the mental health services. I was told recently that Marie Savage no longer works at the Hergest Unit - the patients will breathe an almighty sigh of relief. I have not heard that she has been struck off however so I presume that she is simply inflicting herself on some unfortunate patients elsewhere.

25th December 2015

Shockingly bad patient care. Doesn't listen to your concerns and abuses her position of authority. Would not recommend!

Short link to review Dr Marie Savage: http://iwgc.net/eeg9u