Dr Malcolm Finlay

I was appointed as Consultant Cardiologist at Barts Heart Centre and Queen Mary University of London in 2014. I qualified from Oxford University in Medicine in 2001, and gained my PhD in Cardiac Electrophysiology in 2014 from UCL, for which I held a Wellcome Trust Research Training Fellowship. I have published >30 papers in the field of cardiac arrhythmia, including recent works identifying the interplay between mental stress and propensity for abnormal heart rhythms. I continue to be actively involved in research, particularly into the pathogenesis of atrial fibrillation and the use of novel technologies in investigation and treatment. I have invented several medical technologies, including the world’s first online heart simulation for education and training (epicardio.com) and recently I have been involved in developing all-optical ultrasound, a new imaging technique suitable for minimally invasive procedures in collaboration with UCL Medical Physics Department. My work in innovation has been recognised by my appointment to the European Heart Rhythm Association Innovations Committee and I am a faculty member for several national and international academic conferences including Heart Rhythm Congress and the EHRA. Outside of cardiology, my interests include aviation (PPL(A)), filmmaking (straight8.net) and sports.

29th March 2018
Written by a carer at Spire Bushey Hospital

My husband recently underwent a catheter ablation performed by Dr Malcolm Finlay and his team. It is too early to say whether the procedure has been successful (although early signs are encouraging). Dr Finlay's outstanding qualifications, career and record of achievements speak for themselves and he is clearly a leader in his field. I have no doubt whatsoever that everybody concerned did their absolute best, with great skill and - dare I say it? - with the most cutting edge technology (see what I did there?) at the amazing Wellington hospital. It seems to me that, generally speaking, once a patient is anaethsetised, one is in the hands of the medical staff, who are either able to fix the problem or ... not. But, see, here's the thing. Dr Finlay spent time with us both before and after the operation and nothing was too much trouble for him. He was kind and patient, and - this is the part which matters - treated us with respect, compassion and genuine interest. His absolute passion for what he does shone through, and although he had to present us with some pretty scary stats about catheter ablation, he did so in such a way that we knew we were in the safest and most skilled of hands. We both felt 100% trust in Dr Finlay and in his team. Most importantly, my husband and I were reassured that our fears and queries were perfectly understandable. Whatever the outcome, I am so grateful that my husband was treated by this charming surgeon whose bedside manner is absolutely exemplary; a rare compliment indeed in these harried times. Our whole experience was made so easier by the professionalism and kindness of Dr Malcolm Finlay.

16th February 2018
Written by a patient at St Bartholomew's Hospital

The minuet i walked through the door i felt at easy with Dr Finlay, he is a true professional in every sense, he also very eloquently explained the risk & benefits in details along with some reassurances, he listened to my concerns and and offered great feedback. I underwent an Ablation and would highly recommencement Dr Finlay and his team. Mr S Hardacre.

27th June 2017
Written by a patient at Spire Bushey Hospital

I visited this cardiologist for the first time last week and felt that he treated me extremely well. He was very professional and took great care with my consultation taking note of all my concerns and previous history. He was able to reassure me and I will be more than happy to see him again when necessary.

12th March 2017
Written by a patient at The Wellington Hospital

Dr Finlay was very professional, he performed a CryoAblation on me in March 2017 before the procedure he spent quite some time explaining everything that could go wrong and the consequences, he also explained all the positives. I would definitely recommend him for this procedure.

Nearest Cardiologists