Dr Magda Branker

23rd May 2017
Written by a patient at Amersham Vale Training Practice

I had the misfortune of having to see this doctor at the Waldron Medical Centre a couple of days ago. Her attitude was one of unhelpful arrogance and conceit. I had to go in to get the results of a blood test and asked if I could get a print out of my results. She was reluctant to do this for me instead telling me that I would have to pay for getting any of my medical results starting at £50 upwards. I asked her why I have to pay for my own medical information and diagnosis? What do people do who have no money or are homeless and have mental health issues and NEED their medical evidence in order to get any benefits at all? She basically said it’s not her problem as that’s what they too will have to pay. I reiterated the fact that these people have no money at all, some are even homeless and that this is akin to hold their medical data hostage only to be released by such a heavy fee. Dr. Branker then said if they have issues with this they can contact their solicitor! I’m not sure what world Dr. Branker lives in but I do not know any homeless, destitute, penniless or people often with serious physical and mental health issues that have a personal solicitor to assist them in a civil court action just to get evidence and proof of a medical condition. In 2012 I was given an antibiotic called Ciproflaxacin. I was never at any time was I ever warned of the high probability of the serious debilitating side effects of this drug. This drug was approved by the Federal Drug Administration and this is why it is used and prescribed by the NHS here in the UK. On the FDA’s very own official website dated it says this: ————————————————————— [ 05-12-2016 ] An FDA safety review has shown that fluoroquinolones when used systemically (i.e. tablets, capsules, and injectable) are associated with disabling and potentially permanent serious side effects that can occur together. These side effects can involve the tendons, muscles, joints, nerves, and central nervous system.” Patients should contact your health care professional immediately if you experience any serious side effects while taking your fluoroquinolone medicine. Some signs and symptoms of serious side effects include tendon, joint and muscle pain, a “pins and needles” tingling or pricking sensation, confusion, and hallucinations. Patients should talk with your health care professional if you have any questions or concerns. Health care professionals should stop systemic fluoroquinolone treatment immediately if a patient reports serious side effects, and switch to a non-fluoroquinolone antibacterial drug to complete the patient’s treatment course. ————————————————————— I broth this FDA notice to the attention of Dr. Branker and she simply ignored both it and me. One month after being put on a course of these antibiotics (Ciproflaxacin) I woke up one morning almost unable to move. I had severe pain and stiffness of both achilles tendons and soreness and stiffness in both legs making walking practically agonisingly impossible, I had pain and stiffness in the tendons of both complete arms, I had rotator cuff injuries in both shoulders at the same time.. and this all happened while I was in bed! I went from being a completely healthy and very fit male to a virtual geriatric over night. I also suffered 5 years of the most horrible insomnia and anxiety and depression another side effect of Cipro, for which I was only given a few sleeping pills by my doctor. For 5 years I have suffered with these debilitating and painful, side effects and it has taken me 5 years from June 2012 to May 2017 with lengthy period of complete, years of physiotherapy only partially recover. In this 5 years have seen many different doctors been referred to numerous joint specialists and consultants yet I do not have a single shred of evidence on paper of my physical condition, the damage done to my body. One the past year after numerous hospital appointments and referrals I was told and diagnosed with osteoarthritis, cubital tunnel syndrome, tendon issues and soreness all over my body, chronic depression and anxiety and chronic insomnia Yet I can not get any of these diagnosis on paper from anyone. When ever I ask I am simply refused. Dr. Branker then told me that the reason patients like me are not given this information is because it contains many ‘big words’ that the general public would not understand. This is a completely disrespectful insulting and condescending way in which to treat people. She then said that Doctors like her have already done the study and research for us and that we should trust and have faith in them more. I replied that the one and single reason I have these health issues in the first place and the single reason my entire physical health has been practically and permanent damaged and destroyed is because I ‘trusted and had faith’ in a doctor. Dr. Bramker just gave me a blank stare. She had no response. I also said if there are medical terms I am not familiar with I can ays look them up in medical dictionaries on the internet.. to which she replied that I “should not read things on the net..” That left me speechless. I told her the I read the books and medical studies of the top Orthopedic specialists in the world today, the very same people that she herself studied when training to be a doctor.. to which she gave me another blank stare and again blank silence. I am utterly shocked at this and other doctors attitude in seeking to keep patients completely ignorant and in the dark as to the real details of their own medical conditions and their total resistance to providing anything on paper of your actual diagnosis. Oh.. but they will happily hold it to ransom sell your own medical data that they have claimed as their intellectual property to you for several hundred pounds. I told Dr Branker that her attitude was cold, uncaring, unsympathetic unhelpful and motivated by profit and not patient care. I then stood up to leave and asked if I could just have the print out of my blood test to which she somewhat reluctantly agreed. I ten left the room. I was given a copy by the receptionist as I left the surgery. Two days later I received a letter from the Practice manager a ‘Dee Stenning’. In the letter It was stated that during the consultation with Dr. Branker she reported that I was ‘acting aggressively towards her’ and was ‘behaving with an intimidating manner’ and that she ‘found my behaviour inappropriate’. This letter was sent as an official warning. This is incredible.. it seems merely questioning the practices, behaviours and ethics of a doctor is deemed as being aggressive and intimidating and behaving inappropriately. I will not be attending this surgery again and I would not recommend it to anyone. The service and care are all awful.

Doctors working at Amersham Vale Training Practice