Dr Kathirvelu Dhinakaran

• Oncology

Latest Reviews

30th April 2016
Written by a patient at Royal Shrewsbury Hospital

Dr Dhinakaran oncology Department. The Shrewsbury and Telford Hospital NHS trust. My name is Diana I am a 61 year old lady and I had breast cancer in 2007 from which I had recovered. Unfortunately I was diagnosed with lung cancer and brain metastases in January 2014 and was given a prognosis of only 3 weeks survival. I was placed under the care of Dr Dhinakaran, a bronchoscopy biopsy was arranged and the tissue sent to the genealogy lab at Birmingham. The transmutation proved positive large cell carcinoma. Dr Dhinakaran recommended whole brain radiation and placed me on a bio chemotherapy called Iressa or gefitinib. Due to this treatment I have undergone 24 cycles of 28 days each. Dr Dhinakaran has not only given first-class treatment but has constantly tried to get new treatments allocated for me including referrals to the Christie at Manchester where I was allowed to be considered for clinical trials when stable and also to the Queen Elizabeth at Birmingham to undergo CyberKnife treatment in an attempt to eradicate my brain tumours via extremely focused non-whole brain radiation therapy. Whilst waiting for clinical trials I have had 4 sessions of chemotherapy to keep my condition stable so I can remain eligible for further trials. Dr Dhinakaran has has now referred me to Prof Middleton at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital at Birmingham in concert with the Christie at Manchester hopefully to participate in the latest clinical trials in an attempt to enhance and prolong my life. Due to Dr Dhinakaran's clinical acumen and diligence I have survived nearly 2 and a half years rather than the 3 weeks at onset. I found him to be empathic, compassionate, understanding, and always gave me the time needed at consultation. He always explained how my condition was affecting me and what was available to me under the NHS. If you are like me facing death but wanting a little longer with your family I can fully recommend Dr Dhinakaran as your oncologist as without him I would be just a memory. I am still fighting cancer with this man in my corner.

Short link to review Dr Kathirvelu Dhinakaran: http://iwgc.net/effxw