Mr Jonathan Hughes

Consultant Ear, Nose and Throat / Head and Neck / Thyroid Surgeon Jonathan Hughes graduated from the University of Bristol Medical School in 2000. He received training in Plastic Surgery, Neurosurgery and General Surgery prior to starting Ear, Nose and Throat (ENT) training in London. His higher surgical training included placements at recognised centres of excellence, including The Royal National Throat, Nose and Ear, Imperial College, University College, and St Bartholomew's Hospitals. During his ENT training, Jonathan was awarded the Royal College of Surgeons of England Research Fellowship to undertake basic science research into viral gene therapy for the treatment of cancer. This research was conducted at the Barts Cancer Institute, London and culminated in the award of PhD in 2013. Following ENT training and research, he completed two Royal College of Surgeons of England accredited fellowships forming the basis for his super-specialist interests. The Imperial College Head and Neck Fellowship focused on management of benign and malignant tumours of the head and neck. The North Thames Laryngology Fellowship was based at the National Centre for Airway Reconstruction at Charing Cross Hospital and focused on the management of voice, airway and swallowing disorders. In 2014, Jonathan completed a travelling fellowship to two international centres of excellence in the USA. Memorial Sloan-Kettering is the top cancer hospital in the USA and Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania is a pioneering centre for the use of robotic technology in head and neck surgery. During this time he learnt the very latest minimally-invasive techniques used by world leaders in the field. Following a Consultant appointment at Oxford University Hospitals, he was appointed as a Consultant ENT / Head and Neck Surgeon at University College London Hospitals and Royal Free London NHS Foundation Trusts in 2015. https://uk.linkedin.com/in/jonathanhughesentsurgeon

29th August 2015
Written by a patient at The John Radcliffe

All the staff at the ENT department of the JR hospital were very kind and helpful. The treatment I received was very prompt, very successful and I am impressed with the way this department runs. It was the best experience I have had as an out patient at the JR. Nothing was rushed, all my questions were answered and Mr. Hughes could not have been more helpful in explaining all that needed explanation. I am impressed that I received the help I needed to sort out my problem so efficiently and kindly.

28th August 2015
Written by a patient at The John Radcliffe

I was seen on two occasions by the same doctor and he listened to my symptoms and recommended a nasal spray that actually worked. My symptoms have greatly improved since using it. He was also helpful in recommending other methods to relieve my condition.

27th August 2015
Written by a patient at The John Radcliffe

I am very impressed of the care I have received by this doctor. He listens to you and make sure you understand all about the procedure and answers your questions thoroughly. Not only the pre operation care is amazing but the post operation care is outstanding ! Dr Hughes came to see me personally after the operation and was happy to talk to me about my operation with a smile.

27th August 2015
Written by a patient at The John Radcliffe

Mr Hughes listened very carefully to my symptoms, was very patient and understanding and put me fully at ease. He explained what he was going to do and carried out the procedure with little or no discomfort. I felt he was extremely competent and would not hesitate to recommend him to other patients.

23rd August 2015
Written by a patient at The John Radcliffe

My visit with Mr. Hughes first class. He was knowledgable, highly informative, articulate, caring and took pains to examine my condition and treat me with more courtesy than I am used to experiencing. I would however, make one significant criticsm, that is for a system that requires a professional of Mr. Hughes high standing to have to rely on comments from his patients to endorse his consultancy. What has gone wrong? Bevan never anticipated this when he established the National Health Service, it shames all of us, not least of all Mr. Hughes and his colleagues. I would add that I appreciated Mr. Hughes going into work on a Saturday morning for 8.00am and thus shortening the wait for my appointment by 3 months from that I was originally assigned.

Nearest Endocrinologists