Mr Jonathan Hughes

Consultant Ear, Nose and Throat / Head and Neck / Thyroid Surgeon Jonathan Hughes graduated from the University of Bristol Medical School in 2000. He received training in Plastic Surgery, Neurosurgery and General Surgery prior to starting Ear, Nose and Throat (ENT) training in London. His higher surgical training included placements at recognised centres of excellence, including The Royal National Throat, Nose and Ear, Imperial College, University College, and St Bartholomew's Hospitals. During his ENT training, Jonathan was awarded the Royal College of Surgeons of England Research Fellowship to undertake basic science research into viral gene therapy for the treatment of cancer. This research was conducted at the Barts Cancer Institute, London and culminated in the award of PhD in 2013. Following ENT training and research, he completed two Royal College of Surgeons of England accredited fellowships forming the basis for his super-specialist interests. The Imperial College Head and Neck Fellowship focused on management of benign and malignant tumours of the head and neck. The North Thames Laryngology Fellowship was based at the National Centre for Airway Reconstruction at Charing Cross Hospital and focused on the management of voice, airway and swallowing disorders. In 2014, Jonathan completed a travelling fellowship to two international centres of excellence in the USA. Memorial Sloan-Kettering is the top cancer hospital in the USA and Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania is a pioneering centre for the use of robotic technology in head and neck surgery. During this time he learnt the very latest minimally-invasive techniques used by world leaders in the field. Following a Consultant appointment at Oxford University Hospitals, he was appointed as a Consultant ENT / Head and Neck Surgeon at University College London Hospitals and Royal Free London NHS Foundation Trusts in 2015. https://uk.linkedin.com/in/jonathanhughesentsurgeon

18th January 2018
Written by a patient at University College Hospital

on meeting doctor hughes he put my mind at rest with his explanation of what was required to rid me of throat cancer, he is a very confident doctor and does everything that he explained to me, even though it can be a bit frightenning he put my mind at rest and gave me a new lease of life there is not a way to thank someone like him because there are no words to explain how i feel to have been a patient of his and how lucky i was to have the operation performed by him in such a brilliant environment. i would recomend him to anyone 100 per cent. he is a friendly and kind gentleman.

19th November 2017
Written by a carer at Spire Bushey Hospital

We were very pleased with the excellent service of care Mr Hughes provided and would highly recommend him.

17th November 2017
Written by a patient at University College Hospital

Very friendly and made me feel at ease straight away Sorted out my problem

11th November 2017
Written by a carer at University College Hospital

The first time my wife had to visit this unit it was a bit chaotic and you never seem to actually get seen at the time allocated, whilst some delay is expected sometimes the delay is not acceptable, but we have to grin a bare it because we are a captive audience. and it would be nice if we could be seen nearer the appointment time, perhaps if a little more empathy was shown regarding how we get to the hospital regarding parking nearby, as you only get a maximum of 2 hours then you have to move to another parking bay. enough said.... the most important thing is the actual treatment once your fully in the system, and in that respect my wife was treated with every care and consideration and the treatment was first class, and properly explained from the beginning, the only trouble was my wife had post operative problems and we sat in casualty from 10am until she was allocated a bed sometime after 12pm. so to sum up all the wonderful treatment she received was unfortunately let down slightly by the first bit and very badly by the after bit.

8th November 2017
Written by a patient at Chase Farm Hospital

Mr Hughes was very polite and professional in his approach to my particular problems and I was extremely pleased with the way they were dealt with .I was particularly worried about my g6pd deficiency and the problems that could arise but all the team were informed and I need not have worried . May I say a very big thank you to Mr Hughes , the anesthetists and the rest of the team involved.

Nearest Endocrinologists