Dr John Lynn

Written by a carer at The Lister Hospital
9th April 2019

When my mother (aged 78) was diagnosed I searched around for a good surgeon. There were several to choose form but Mr Lynn impressed me with his very personal approach, speaking to me on the telephone in the evening (he is a busy man) and allowing me to contact him whenever I had questions – I never spoke to an intermediary. He was gentle and understanding with my mother, and his results speak for themselves. The surgery was successful and my mother had her first positive hospital experience ever and recovered well. Thank you, Mr Lynn.

20th June 2018

I regret it has taken me so long to write this review. I saw Mr John Lynn after seeing another consultant based in Hartley Street and I am so glad I did. Mr John Lynn was most caring, attentive and professional in all my visits. He confirmed the diagnosis of hyperthyroidism and recommended surgery or radioactive therapy. I chose the latter. All of this was conducted smoothly at the Cromwell Hospital. When I was offered a job overseas, Mr Lynn wrote a most comprehensive letter and provided all the necessary background information for the next consultant in my new 'home country'. I have just been clearing out my old files and I found the letters from Mr Lynn (which prompted this review which is long overdue). He was so human in his letter which just goes to show you couldn't be in a better paid of hands. Not only was he an excellent endocrinologist, he was caring, positive and human. I highly recommend My Lynn to anyone requiring expert advice on similar conditions.

14th March 2017

I found Mr Lynn by a third party. He saved my life by performing a radical neck dissection after an horrific thyroidectomy performed two years previously which left me with a paralysed vocal chord. I had been diagnosed with stage three Medullary Thyroid Cancer and was primarily operated on at my local hospital in 2001 I was so very fortunate in being introduced to Mr Lynn. I will never forget his kindness and his ability to treat all his patients with care and understanding and above all as individuals. He is a fabulous surgeon and I would recommend him above all others.

13th August 2009

Mr Lynn was brilliant. Having made an enquiry about a parathyroidectomy he telephoned me himself and was very organised and reassuring. He made arrangements for my visit to London to suit me. When I arrived I had all the necessary tests done with him popping in to see how things were going at every stage. He stayed late until they were all finished and then sat and went through everything in detail with my husband and myself. He has to make his patients aware of the things that can go wrong but he put them all into perspective and reassured me that I really had little to worry about. The fact that he performs so many operations of this type and has an excellent success rate further serves to reassure. My operation, the following morning, went without hitch even though the sestamibi scan had shown him the gland was not in the normal place. Three days later I was on the train home to the north of England having already had most of the stitches out. I had to return the following week to have the final stitch removed and for Mr Lynn to check the wound. The scar is very fine and only 3cm long. He actually apologised that he'd had to make it longer than usual because of the position of the gland (in the chest cavity). Mr Lynn was very attentive to all aspects of my care and answered all questions as fully as possible. I have nothing but praise for him and would recommend him to anyone.

18th May 2009

Quite simply this man saved my life. Having had three previous parathyroidectomy operations carried out by another less experienced surgeon elsewhere in London, I then discovered Mr Lynn. My one regret is that I didn't go to him at the very beginning. I would never have gone through the other three unnecessary operations. Whatever you do, visit Mr Lynn first, you will not need to go anywhere else.

• Endocrinology