Mr James Rink

Mr Rink is a clinical director, consultant surgeon and clinical lead for Upper-GI and Bariatric surgery working at the Shrewsbury and Telford Hospitals NHS Trust. There he provides an emergency general surgical service as well as specialist care. Following his graduation from Cambridge University Medical School, Mr Rink worked in East Anglia, the South West and on the South Coast. His specialist training was gained in the South-West Deanery, working in hospitals from Truro and Plymouth to Bath, Bristol and Gloucester. Having completed his training in 2011, Mr Rink undertook fellowships in bariatric and specialist upper GI surgery at St Richard’s Hospital in Chichester and the Queen Alexandra Hospital in Portsmouth. In addition to his NHS service, Mr Rink offers a specialist private surgical service which encompasses bariatric (weight loss) surgery, including gastric band, gastric bypass, sleeve gastrectomy and gastric balloon. He also offers advanced laparoscopic (keyhole) surgery for gallstone disease, gastro-oesophageal reflux and hiatus hernia, comprehensive general surgical operations including laparoscopic hernia repair (inguinal, ventral and incisional – primary and recurrent).

9th March 2019
Written by a patient at Royal Shrewsbury Hospital

I had a sleeve gastrectomy under Mr Rink in February 2019. Surgery went well and all the before and after surgery care was excellent. Mr Rink is a lovely person who takes the time to listen and he explains everything in easy to understand terms. His team are also amazing. Such a credit to the Royal Shrewsbury Hospital. Thank you for changing my life!!!

12th February 2019
Written by a patient at Royal Shrewsbury Hospital

I had a roux en y gastric bypass at Shrewsbury hospital at the end of November 2018 which was performed by Mr Rink and his team. Initially I had some problems keeping water down and was in a lot of discomfort. Mr Rink re assured me several times that he would make sure I was okay. He was on call over the weekend of my stay and kept a close eye on me reassuring me that if I needed to go back to theatre he was there to do that. However, he also reassured me by saying that complications like mine although rare usually resolve. A CT scan confirmed no structural problem and the problem resolved quickly. I was so grateful for his positive attitude, care and genuine concern. I am 10 weeks down the line now and can confirm I have had no further problems. Thank you for being not just a fantastic surgeon but also a very kind man! I wish you all the best for the future.

Written by a patient at Royal Shrewsbury Hospital

Mr Rink and all of the team at RSH/PRH are simply wonderful. I cannot praise them enough, without a shadow of a doubt they have helped changed my life. Particularly given the current pressures, demands and restraints faced by the NHS. I had a Gastric Bypass in November 2018, after experiencing difficulties with my weight for the majority of my life as well as being diagnosed with a binge eating disorder. I, like so many other people, felt incredibly scared about surgery and it took me 2years to get to the point where I was ready for the operation. However, what was humbling and also reassuring, was that Mr Rink and the team supported me throughout this time and encouraged me every step of the way. I feel so very lucky to have had the opportunity to have this operation and take control back over my life again. Mr Rink is, in my opinion: humble, extremely knowledgable and skilled as a surgeon and as a people person (which you don't tend to find that much in the medical world), patient, calm, friendly, intuitive, warm and compassionate, as well as being direct and honest without being abrupt or rude. To put it in simple terms, I owe so very much to this wonderful man and all of the team. Thank you will never be enough to express how grateful I truly am. Good Luck to all those out there, wherever you are on your journey xx

Written by a patient at Royal Shrewsbury Hospital

James rink and his team really looked after me and put me at ease before my operation answered all my questions

Written by a patient at Royal Shrewsbury Hospital

Very helpful Doctor and the whole team who work with him are too! Easy to talk to and eases any worries you may have. Wouldn’t hesitate to recommend him.

Short link to review Mr James Rink: http://iwgc.net/efmmp