Dr Ian McCafferty

Written by a NHS patient at St Mary's Hospital
22nd February 2021

I wouldn’t recommend dr mcafferty to anybody in my first ever assement with this Man he completely dismissed there was not anything wrong with me other then just depression and anxiety considering I had been back and forth to my doctors constantly numerous antidepressants that were not working. So that was that fobbed off snd discharged back to GP within less then a year was back under the MH team . And yet again completely fobbed back off with EUPD told the only medication I needed was anti depressants which havnt worked so far . Was refused mood stabilisers and told I didn’t need them because I don’t have bipolar disorder . But he was happy to prescribe them before he saw me after my initial assement with the MH nurse . I eventually sought an opinion from a private psychiatrist who said I in fact had bipolar type 2 which the MH team have completely disagreed and iv apparently had 2nd and 3rd and 4th opinions which I wasn’t even aware had taken place nobody had asked me to come in for another assement . Reported to PALS with an advocate and am now having a resolution team meeting . Dissatisfied, disappointed and let down not listened too and completely dismissed . And I have friends who are under this mental health team who also have been let down . Should be ashamed of thereselfs .

Written by a patient at St Mary's Hospital
7th September 2020

The two reviews that I've read regarding Dr McCafferty do not resonate with my experience of him in the slightest. I first had dealings with him a few years ago in relation to an early diagnosis of complex PTSD. I found him to be a great listener, calm, polite, genuine and interested. A few years later I found myself once more under his care and again he has dealt with me in a manner that I found lacking with some other health professionals. He fully understands my PTSD and associated symptoms whilst his GP background helps to provide a more rounded and substantial approach to other aspects of my health alongside the PTSD.

• Psychiatry