Dr Hector Chinoy

Primary Specialty Rheumatology Qualifications PhD, FRCP, MSc, BMBS, BMedSci Professional Memberships General Medical Council Member of the Royal College of Physicians Medical Protection Society British Society for Rheumatology American College of Rheumatology British Medical Association Clinical Interests General rheumatology, musculoskeletal pain, pain syndromes, osteoarthritis, muscle disease (inflammatory), rheumatoid arthritis, connective tissue disease, soft tissue rheumatism, osteoporosis Research Interests Inflammatory myopathy and muscle disorders Psoriatic arthritis Year Qualified 1996 Main NHS Hospital Salford Royal NHS Foundation Trust Professional profile Dr Hector Chinoy is a Senior Clinical Lecturer and Consultant Rheumatologist. At Salford Royal NHS Foundation Trust, he looks after about 1,000 patients per year with a variety of musculoskeletal complaints as part of general rheumatology, specialist neuromuscular, combined psoriatic arthritis-psoriasis clinic, and in-patient work. He is also principal investigator on a number of clinical trials. Outside of the NHS, he has private consulting rooms at BMI Alexandra Hospital, Cheadle, and Spire Manchester Hospital, Didsbury, for both general and specialist conditions, on a Wednesday and Friday evening. He is also employed by The University of Manchester, where he is actively involved with research and the education of medical students and doctors, and is Programme Director for the Clinical Rheumatology MSc Programme. Dr Chinoy has authored over 90 research articles in international peer-reviewed journals, has presented multiple research abstracts in national and international conferences, and is considered to be a global expert in inflammatory myopathy. He has recently edited an Oxford Rheumatology Library textbook on Myositis. Dr Chinoy firmly believes in the importance of clear, open communication with patients and sufferers of musculoskeletal conditions. He sees a wide range of rheumatic diseases at Salford Royal and closely works alongside a multidisciplinary team of physiotherapists, occupational therapists, nurses and podiatrists. Many rheumatic diseases cannot be cured, but accurate diagnosis and focused management/treatment can help significantly to improve pain, disability and quality of life. On completing his medical degree at the University of Nottingham in 1996, Dr Chinoy carried out medical training in Nottingham, Sheffield and Manchester. He trained in Rheumatology in the North West from 2001-2009. He completed an Arthritis Research UK Fellowship at The University of Manchester, and was awarded a PhD in 2007. In 2009 he became a Consultant Rheumatologist and in 2010 was awarded a Senior Clinical Lectureship in Rheumatology. Research interests include immunogenetic risk factors and how these correlate with novel serological biomarkers and clinical outcomes. He is co-chair of UKMYONET, a national consortium which fosters collaborative research in inflammatory myopathy. Dr Chinoy is also chair of the Euromyositis Registry, a web-based consortium which collects standardised clinical data in 8 countries. He is a reviewer for a number of peer-reviewed journals and an Associate Editor of Arthritis & Rheumatology. Dr Chinoy is the Royal College of Physicians Representative on the Specialised Rheumatology Clinical Reference Group for NHS England. Links: University of Manchester profile https://www.research.manchester.ac.uk/portal/Hector.Chinoy.html Personal profile http://hectorchinoy.co.uk/ Follow Dr Chinoy’s tweets http://twitter.com/drhectorchinoy Arthritis Research UK patient information site http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information.aspx National Rheumatoid Arthritis Society website http://www.nras.org.uk/

13th August 2019
Written by a patient at Salford Royal Hospital

I have been a patient under Dr Chinoy’s care for just over three years and I still see him as an NHS patient at Salford Royal when required. Having been suffering with severe psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis, particularly at such a young age was difficult for me and Dr Chinoy and his team at Salford went above and beyond to help me. It was difficult at first trying to stay hopeful that I would get better but he reassured me that he would find something that worked and that it is just hit and miss as everyone is different and sure enough he did. I have been on biologics and in remission since December 2017 and I can’t thank him enough for helping me get my life back. I would recommend him to anyone suffering with any sort of rheumatological issue, he is very professional and very good at his job. Whilst professional he remains empathetic and he is also realistic with treatments and their success rates, having never misled me or provided false hope that a treatment would 100% work.

12th August 2019
Written by a patient at Salford Royal Hospital

Dr Chinoy was the light at the end of a 4 month dark tunnel of being passed around by several doctors that didn’t know how to communicate with one another, was not able to diagnose or treat my Dermatomyositis and just strung things along instead of thinking of the Patient over their pride and bank balance and referring me a lot sooner. Once under the care of Hector at Salford Royal my condition was soon stabilised and I began my 24months to recovery and finally being taken of tablets for permanently. A real, caring and genuinely honest Dr. That clearly knows his stuff and does exactly what he says. Has definitely given me confidence again in our Health Service.

12th August 2019
Written by a patient at Salford Royal Hospital

I am a Salford Royal patient and have been seen on the NHS by Dr Hector Chinoy. I don't normally leave reviews, but I felt it my duty to provide the public with the one to one experience I had with Dr Chinoy. He has been the most considerate and quick to respond Doctor I have encountered. Having seen a lot of Doctors, there is no comparison in his expertise and specifically his urgency to get you the tests you need. Normally, I have found, to even get a response or a follow up email from a Doctor or their secretary is quite difficult (Sometimes taking months). Dr Chinoy and his secretary are incredibly quick and personable. I would encourage anyone needing help in his specialist field to see Dr Chinoy.

18th July 2019
Written by a patient at Salford Royal Hospital

I am afraid I don't concur with the other positive reviews here perhaps because the majority are private patients? I don't know. However, My own experience with Dr chinoy is very different unfortunately and I appear to not be alone after speaking to fellow patients online. whilst I don't doubt his professional and academic skill (he is a professor) and documented professional achievements, he sadly lacked the ability to empathise and listen to me as a person who has a long term debilitating condition or to care about the distressing symptoms was advising him of. I have been to theologists for over 20 years and I know when I am being taken seriously and when I am not. I felt he was disinterested and flippant and after giving him a chance to redeem himself over several years (everyone can have an off day!) I have had to concede defeat and realise that I will need to look for another rheumatologist. This is a shame but there is more to being a good doctor than being highly intelligent one also needs to have communication skills and the ability to relate to people too!9

6th September 2018
Written by a patient at BMI The Alexandra Hospital

My Ophthalmologist wanted me to undertake a new course of treatment for an ongoing serious eye condition The new unlicenced drugs required expert supervision and monitoring by a Rheumatologist - Dr Chinoy was chosen to undertake this task. I was seen very promptly and politely by Dr C on a number of occasions. He was always ready to listen carefully to my concerns and queries and to offer his help and advice and kept myself and my GP up-to-date with his latest findings. He also, generously, suggested that I should be referred to a Consultant Rheumatologist at my local hospital rather than having to travel to Manchester which was a considerable distance from my home. He quickly secured a consultation and I am most grateful for his help in this matter. I have no hesitation in recommending the services of Dr Hector Chinoy to you if you need a Rheumatologist.

Nearest Rheumatologists