Dr Emma Watts

19th October 2016
Written by a patient at Shere Surgery and Dispensary

Dr Watts took over my very complicated chronic pain condition after my other doctors retired, my first meeting with her wasn't under the greatest of circumstances as I was used to my other doctors and the way they worked and Dr. Watts proposed some new ideas to me, which I wasn't particularly happy about. I went away from my first consult rather unhappy, but I wrote it all down and made another appt. at which I proposed to her that as mine is a long term case, I would be happier working together as a team, as opposed to just being told, after all it is my body, my chronic illness and I know it better than anyone. Dr Watts was amazing, she listened, she took notes, she addressed every point I made and we sat together and worked out not just a care plan but a very different and slightly radical way of helping me. I was very sceptical, but can hand on heart say that I have been absolutely blown away by her level of care, her amazing ideas that have quite literally changed my life. She recommended and then spent time procuring permission to help me with acupuncture, not being something that is generally used in General Practice particularly for pain, when permission came through, and she did the acupuncture for me, for the first time in 9 years, I had absolutely no pain. None, zero!! I am only 42 and have suffered so badly with back pain that I have been on terrifying amounts of opiates over the years, in a wheelchair for 3 years and completely unable to get out of bed having had 41 operations on my back in one year whilst living abroad, and with her help, I have managed to reduce to a safe level and instead of taking drugs when I get a flare-up, I self-acupuncture and I am a different person, all down to Dr. Watts. The emotions and sheer elation I felt, when for the very first time in 9 years I didn't have the constant burning, biting, electrical shock barbed wire coiling down my legs renderering me breathless and unable to move, let alone walk, at times, was just incredible, unbelievable and her support, understanding and care over what happens to me - (amongst her hundreds of patients she must see on a monthly basis) is frankly astounding, and I feel very thankful and very blessed to have her as my Doctor and partner in care. Please, Dr. Watts, don't stop being the amazing person you are, and thank you for everything you have done for me and are continuing to do.

18th October 2016
Written by a patient at Shere Surgery and Dispensary

Further to my previous review I would like to add that over a period of 10 days I made notes of all my symptoms. This, I hope, made my visit to Dr Watts easier and gave her necessary information. If all patients did this it would help with a quicker diagnosis. Patients have to help their GP.

14th October 2016
Written by a patient at Shere Surgery and Dispensary

I went to see Dr. Watts having experienced head pain for a couple of weeks. Dr. Watts said that I could possibly be suffering from Trigemenal Neuralgia or Temporal Arteritis. She immediately arranged a blood test and sent it away to be tested as urgent. My results had not returned by the end of the day and as it was Friday I was understandably extremely worried that I would have to wait until Monday. That evening Dr. Watts took the time to phone me at home. The result was Trigeminal Neuralgia and having had medication am now much better. Dr. Watts acted quickly and positively and is a great asset to Shere Surgery and the local community.

29th July 2016
Written by a patient at Shere Surgery and Dispensary

I recently went to Emma (recommended my by mum) after a number of tests done at hospital over the course of the year which hadn't given me any answers as to why I was feeling the way I was. I had an endoscopy and a hiatus hernia was found... the consultant asked me again for my symptoms after this was found but didnt explain any link between them and the hernia...he then proceeded to put me forward for several other tests over the year which all came back fine. After the last test available was done he didn't have any constructive advice regarding my symptoms and honestly seemed clueless and unhelpful. I decided to go to Emma as my GP of first choice as my biggest concern was my weight loss and I wanted some professional advice as to how to gain weight and also ask if my symptoms may be related to being intolerant to some kind of food. Emma explained clearly that food intolerance tests weren't very accurate and from what I had said during the consultation my symptoms were most likely due to having the hernia. This was initially a shock to me as the endoscopy was the first test I had in hospital where the hernia was found... yet the consultant didn't explain anything about effects of having a hernia or really what it even was and over 10 months of me repeating the same symptoms every time he was unable to make a link between my symptoms and having the hernia. Emma went on to explain so clearly why having the hernia was creating the symptoms I had. She drew me pictures and explained and I left feeling like I know why I feel the way I do now and I just need to make minor changes to ensure I can maintain and hopefully gain weight. She is a very nice lady who listens and explains things to the best of her ability ... much more than can be said for the consultant at mount alvernia. Thankyou Emma for your great service.

27th July 2016
Written by a patient at Shere Surgery and Dispensary

Dr. Watts is a very intelligent, efficient and caring doctor. She went to great lengths to help speed up a diagnosis for my daughter, calling the lab to chase results and getting her referred very quickly when a serious problem was identified. She has made herself very available to us to offer support through the cancer treatment programme, despite, I am sure, a huge work load. I would highly recommend her to anyone, we are very lucky to have her working in the Shere community.