Dr David O'Reilly

Consultant Rheumatologist working at the West Suffolk Hospital and the BMI Hospital in Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk.

• Rheumatology
  • Internal (General) Medicine

30th March 2017
Written by a patient at West Suffolk Hospital

As always, I found Dr O'Reilly pleasant, helpful, patient, and informative.

25th March 2017
Written by a patient at West Suffolk Hospital

I was extremely lucky that I received very prompt help when I was having a flare of my illness. I saw Dr O'Reilly and he took time to listen to me and give me treatment and follow on advice. I have also now received a copy of the letter that he has sent to my gp showing the appointment review and offering further options. I am very grateful for his help.

17th March 2017
Written by a patient at BMI Bury St Edmunds Hospital

I could not fault Mr.O'Reilly's care and attention. He listened patiently to what I had to say. Examined me thoroughly including possible problems that he felt might need attention. He was very detailed in his explanation of what action he felt should be taken and he followed everything up. Reports to my GP and copies to myself were sent to me very promptly. Was very honest about the pros and cons of the diagnosis. Follow up appointments were made at the time of the consultation ensuring confidence that the matter was on going and felt that you had something positive to look forward to.

14th March 2017
Written by a patient at West Suffolk Hospital

I would wholeheartedly recommend Dr O'Reilly, I have been seeing him for several years. He is a caring doctor and will always listen to hear of my aches and pains. Afterwards he gives me options of ways to treat me. I never feel rushed at my appointment.

10th March 2017
Written by a patient at West Suffolk Hospital

I have not given a full star review without serious consideration. Having found Dr O'Reilly by recommendation, following a complete breakdown in trust and confidence in the treatment I was receiving elsewhere, I can say the care I have received has exceeded my expectations. Not only am I now able to function fully, I am almost entirely without pain (no small achievement) and feel so completely transformed. I know I am transformed because friends and colleagues tell me I am. Dr O'Reilly is extremely thorough and from a patient point of view I don't feel rushed and I certainly feel listened to and my views considered carefully. I have also appreciated him setting out a long term plan as well as a short term plan. His leadership of the team is also something of note. Following my previous experience of another hospital, I can say with some certainty that his professionalism and expertise is modelled by others in the team and furthermore, they know when the consultant needs to be involved, which is vital if trust and confidence in the whole health provision is to be achieved. It is a team that functions well, therefore and in my experience has to be providing excellent value for money. I say this again comparing my previous experience, in the sense that it is no good having staff without the relevant expertise making clinical decisions without appropriate supervision when a patient is deteriorating and treatment is not having an effect - this is not value for money and is a waste of resource, it is not efficient or effective. My experience with Dr O'Reilly has restored my faith in the medical expertise and effectiveness that does exist if not in all NHS hospital departments, certainly in this particular one. Another small, but for me important point to make is that the running of the appointments system is also much more efficient than my previous experience. I am sent appointments with plenty of notice so that I can arrange my working week around them, there is also some flexibility with days and times and should I need to ask for a change this is managed efficiently and effectively. This, combined with the fact that I can now function normally thanks to effective treatment, makes it possible for me to continue working which is surely an important point when assessing overall economic impact of funding (or not) efficient and effective public health services.

Nearest Internal (General) medicine specialists