Dr Daniel McKenzie

I am a Consultant Cardiologist based in Bath and Bristol with a specialist interest in complex angioplasty. I work full time at the Royal United Hospitals Bath NHS Foundation Trust and contribute to the 24/7 Emergency Service at the Bristol Heart Institute, which covers the regional heart attack service. I trained at Nottingham University and spent 2 years as a Research Fellow before completing the Wessex Registrar training programme and my Fellowships in Southampton and Bournemouth. I provide a contemporary evidence-based service, which is patient focused, to investigate and treat a broad range of cardiovascular problems. These include the investigations and management of chest pain, breathlessness, palpitations and fainting. My sub-specialty is coronary intervention – using wires, balloons and stents to treat narrowing’s within coronary arteries. I am a high volume operator (I performed 246 cases in 2016, compared to a national average of 123 cases) and perform the majority of my cases through the radial artery, which is proven to be the safest route. I have an excellent outcomes and safety record with a complication rate well below those predicted in the British Cardiovascular Interventional Society (BCIS) statistical model (0.75% actual vs. 2.3% predicted). The most important person during any investigation or procedure is always the patient and I am strongly engaged with governance and quality improvement to ensure that teams work effectively to provide the best patient care possible. I am closely involved in the education and training of Junior Doctors and contribute to a number of National and International research trials and registries. I sit on the National BCIS Council and I am a member of the BCIS Training and Education Group. Outside work, I am a keen sportsman and cycle and run regularly. I have three children: Thomas, Alex and Emily, and spend as much time as possible supporting their busy social and sporting lives.

22nd May 2018
Written by a patient at BMI Bath Clinic

From initial consultation to final investigative procedure Dr McKenzie was clear about options and risks. He quickly assimilated my requirements within the aviation sector in order to investigate and report the facts. His focus was to establish my health position and I was very content with his approach which was based on appropriate treatment if required. I was particularly pleased with his approach in dealing with my aviation medical colleagues who required further investigation to resolve a difference of opinion with regard to a CT angiogram result. He was proactive in engaging and formulation a sensible plan which proved that his initial report was correct. In all of this his prime focus was my health and appropriate risk management. He has an excellent manner and provided a first class service.

Short link to review Dr Daniel McKenzie: http://iwgc.net/ee4xx