Mr Daniel Armstrong

I am a Consultant Hand and Wrist Surgeon at the Pulvertaft Hand Centre in Derby. My practice is entirely Hand and Wrist problems and I have a large proportion of tertiary referral work for complex issues. I also have an interest in minimally invasive surgery - endoscopic carpal and cubital tunnel release, Xiapex/Collagenase, Needle Aponeurotomy etc. I underwent orthopaedic training in the Trent Region, gaining the FRCS (Trauma and Orthopaedics) exam. I have undertaken specialist training in Derby, Nottingham and Oxford where I was the National Hand Fellow. I have been examined in, and passed, the British Post Graduate hand Diploma.

• Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery

Written by a carer at Royal Derby Hospital
19th October 2019

After 18 months of struggling to get help with a problem my husband had with his thumb, he was referred to Mr Armstrong. Within 5 minutes of meeting this very amenable doctor, we had been told what the problem was and how it could rectified by a small operation. Mr Armstrong then agreed to accommodate my husband the following Saturday morning to have this done ! My husband was looked after extremely well by Mr Armstrong and his team whilst the procedure was being done and was very impressed by the knowledge and care given by this doctor. At the follow up appointment, even though it was after 5pm and a very busy clinic Mr Armstrong had time to answer our questions and was genuinely interested in the outcome of my husbands case. We cannot thank this doctor enough for the professional care given.

15th October 2019

Reorganised things for me very quickly and helped speed up the whole process to enable me to get back to work very quickly.

Written by a patient at Nuffield Hospital Derby
23rd September 2019

Good knowledge care with consideration of lifestyle and sports

11th August 2019

Mr Daniel Armstrong is an exceptional surgeon and, though not a surgeon myself, I have met very many in the past in my professional and social life. He is an exceedingly good listener and has highly advanced skills with huge sensitivity and attention to detail in both his surgical work and his interaction with the patient. A major plus is the fact that with Mr Armstrong, the patient is very much a part of the decision making process. At the beginning of the consultation, he asked me to tell him how I felt about my fingers, and about the fact that I had been diagnosed with osteoarthritis. Throughout the consultation, he took into account my feelings and opinions, and we discussed all possible treatment options in terms of the balance of risks and benefits. At all times he made sure I was fully aware of all the relevant facts. I described my concern about both the pain and inflammation of the fingers as well as the aesthetic aspect of my hands. I do a lot of DIY and would like to continue doing so but without causing further damage to my hands. I also explained that my wife had bought me two electric guitars and I was looking forward to continuing learning to play without any problems. At the consultation I learnt that the treatment of musicians’ hands is among his special skills. The initial treatment we opted for was a number of steroid injections which he administered very soon after, as well as some sessions with a hand therapist. It has been just over one month since I saw Mr. Armstrong and all is going well.

14th July 2019