Dr Claire Patten

13th March 2018
Written by a patient at The Grayshott Surgery

Dr Patten is probably the best GP I have ever had - and I have had quite a few before moving to Hindhead 10 years ago. The best thing about her is that she spends time and never rushes you through your appointment even though it means that inevitably she runs late for appointments, but I do not mind as it means that she is spending time with per patients. She is also very knowledgeable and appears up to date on treatments and NHS news and circulars.

22nd November 2017
Written by a patient at The Grayshott Surgery

Dr Patten saw me for an urgent appointment on a Monday morning during a bout of cluster headaches. Before the consultation started she had taken the time to read my notes and knew that I had contacted the out of hours GP over the weekend for a repeat prescription of injections to manage the pain, and she asked if I’d got them. Dr Patten showed immediate empathy for my condition, which other GPs (from different surgeries) have often not. And despite her extensive knowledge of the condition, she took the time during the consultation to investigate a new prophelactic treatment that I had researched, and also double checked it against a second source, which was incredibly reassuring. Understanding my concerns over what I would do for the pain if the new treatment didn’t work, Dr Patten didn’t hesitate to write a repeat prescription for my regular medication as a back up. At the end of the consultation Dr Patten asked me to feedback after a few days whether the new treatment was working. I left the consultation feeling listened to, understood, and supported. I was relieved that I had backup medication and hopefully that the new treatment might help me better manage my condition. After a week of the new treatment my headaches returned and I called the surgery to ask for a telephone consultation. Dr Patten called me back that evening (twice, as I missed the first call), to advise on tweaking the dosage and arrange for a repeat prescription, which was ready the next morning. That night, I had to use the last of my backup medication, so when I collected the repeat prescription for the new treatment in the morning, I had to submit another urgent request for a repeat prescription for more backup medication, which was ready just a few hours later. It is so reassuring to have the backup medication, and a plan to try to prevent the headaches. For Dr Patten to understand the implications on me (as a person), and act on them, shows real compassion for which I am very grateful. Dr Patten also deserves extra credit, as I’m led to believe that my condition is quite rare. Indeed, it went undiagnosed by several GPs for several years, and even when I knew what it was, the empathy and understanding from other GPs has been mixed. I’m sure Dr Patten probably feels as though she was just doing her job, but in my opinion, she went the extra mile with her due diligence and compassion, so much so that I feel the need to express my appreciation for it. Thank you.

6th January 2016
Written by a patient at The Grayshott Surgery

Dr. Patten is of a cherry disposition, gentle humour, warm natured. Great listening skills, knowledgeable, informative. I have Autism and find Dr. Patten easy to discuss al matters that concern and challenge me throughout this depression I endure. Dr. Patten understands the nature of Autism and difficulties experienced.