Dr Chinedu Nwokoro

Introduction I am Chinedu Nwokoro and I am an NHS children’s doctor. I see non-NHS patients at the Wellington Hospital in Elstree WD6 3BS and also at One Hatfield AL10 9UA. I see children with all kinds of medical issues and try to offer a holistic, responsive, sympathetic but fundamentally evidence-based approach to the problems I encounter. My Ethos Three principles underpin the care I offer I’ll listen - to you and to your child. I’ll listen thoroughly and without prejudice, not only to the story you have to tell but also to the things you want from your appointment. Only then will I consider performing any examination or test, because it is only at that point that we will have clarified the specific questions we aim to answer. I’ll be honest - If I determine that I am not the best fit for your child I’ll refer you to one of a comprehensive network of colleagues who may be better placed to assist without delay. I will treat you and your child with the same respect and care I would demand for my wife and daughters, but I will tell you the truth, even where it is at odds with what you may wish to hear. I’ll be kind - it is my belief that the therapeutic relationship is most effective where there is mutual trust, and that trust is rooted in honest communication conducted in a way that promotes relaxation in parent, child and doctor. I hope that through honesty and kindness both you and your child will come to trust me, to our mutual benefit. Education and Training Educated to A-level in Hertfordshire, I graduated in medicine from Jesus College, Cambridge in 2000. After a year of adult medicine and two years training in paediatric neurology, metabolic paediatrics and neonatology in Cambridgeshire I proceeded to London, moving through cardiorespiratory paediatrics and transplantation at Great Ormond Street Hospital, general and developmental paediatrics at Ealing Hospital, and paediatric and neonatal intensive care at St Mary's Hospital, Paddington. I undertook my higher specialist training in respiratory paediatrics at the Royal London, Norfolk and Norwich and Addenbrooke's Hospitals before taking up a part-time locum consultant post in general and respiratory paediatrics whilst I completed my research degree. I am dual certified in general paediatrics and respiratory paediatric medicine. Clinical and Teaching Since 2013 I have been lead consultant for children's asthma and chronic lung disease at Barts Health NHS Trust, with responsibility for improving asthma outcomes across the North East London STP footprint. As part of a team of four respiratory specialists I manage complex respiratory problems including cough, wheeze, bronchiectasis, cystic fibrosis, empyema, sleep-disordered breathing, tracheostomy and non-invasive ventilation and provide flexible bronchoscopy, allergy testing and lung function testing where required. In addition I provide tertiary difficult asthma service for North East London and Essex. I am joint course director for the London Paediatric Respiratory rolling teaching programme The Lung in Childhood, course director for the Barts Health Asthma Study Day, and a faculty member for several postgraduate paediatrics courses as well as Honorary Clinical Senior Lecturer in Paediatrics at Queen Mary, University of London. Research Interests I completed a 4-year research doctorate concerning the genetics of wheezing treatment in preschool children under the supervision of Professor Jonathan Grigg. My other research interests include the role of air pollution in child health and the causes of wheezing in young children. My work has been published in the Lancet Respiratory Medicine, the British Medical Journal, the European Respiratory Journal and Paediatric Respiratory Reviews, and I have spoken at major national and international conferences in Europe and the US. I remain research active in my current role, serving as local principal investigator for a number of studies. Medicolegal Work I provide medicolegal reports for general and respiratory paediatric matters, and have served as a witness of fact in coroner’s inquests, lessons from the forensic study of these cases informs and improves the care I offer my patients. Solicitors wishing to instruct me in matters within my expertise should contact me at childchestclinicgmail.com. Extracurricular Activity For several years I was both paediatric medical officer for Transplant Sport UK, and also sang in an amateur funk band. A keen cyclist, runner and skier, I live with my wife and two daughters in Hertfordshire.

• Paediatrics
  • Chest Medicine

16th May 2019
Written by a carer at One Hatfield Hospital

Dr Chin was very thorough in his approach, really easy to talk to, and reassured us about our daughters health.

6th May 2019
Written by a carer at One Hatfield Hospital

Chinedu Nwokoro is a great doctor who seems to care a lot about the wellbeing of - of course - the kid in question, but also the parents and their worries. We were impressed with the friendly attitude, and the amount of time that he took to make sure all our questions were answered. He seemed like a very capable physician and it is obvious he knows the subject matter well. We were also glad he wasn't too "prescription happy" where we get subjected to all kinds of unneeded tests. Instead he very sensibly said that as long as nothing changed we shouldn't worry and we can do more tests if anything changes Perhaps next time a visit could be structured a little clearer, the hour was a bit chaotic but clearly with a kid there you have to adapt to their whims, make sure to use any time they give you to the fullest etc.

27th March 2019
Written by a carer at One Hatfield Hospital

I dislike writing reviews. However, we were very pleased with team. Especially Dr. Chinedu. I will definitely recommend them.

22nd March 2019

Dr Chin was very thorough with our 1 year old daughter, who had been admitted to hospital a few times for viral wheeze. He was very knowledgeable, reassuring and took great time and care to understand all the history, symptoms and answer all of our questions and concerns. Having seen lots of doctors at hospital for a few minutes each, it was reassuring to have an in-depth assessment. Dr Chin was great with our daughter, putting her at ease and playing with her to examine her thoroughly. Would highly recommend and thank you do taking the time for us.

22nd March 2019
Response from Dr Chinedu Nwokoro

Thanks so much, glad she's doing well. It means a lot to know you were set at ease.

20th March 2019
Written by a carer at One Hatfield Hospital

I cannot speak highly enough of Dr Chin. He has transformed my sporty daughter's life. Less than a week after our consultation, my daughter was able to participate fully in sport and dance, something she had been unable to do for the previous 4 months. Dr Chin has an excellent rapport with young people, engaging with children on their level. He offers the gold standard in terms of levels of care and professionalism and always responds to emails and queries very promptly. I wish we had found him earlier!

Nearest Paediatricians