Dr Bruce Kirkham

• Rheumatology

4th September 2018
Written by a patient at Guy's Hospital

I see prof Bruce kirkham today 4/9/18 at guys and I thought he was understanding and as pointed me in the right direction thanks Doc your a diamond........,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,from patient c doughty

30th December 2017
Written by a patient at Guy's Hospital

Professor Bruce Kirkham has examined, diagnosed and treated me more thoroughly than any Rheumatologist in my long experience of "Sero-Negative Poly Rheumatoid Arthritis", which many former Rheumatologists had treated palliatively with a Depomedrone & Lidocaine. He really does practice the philosophy of treating the patient and not the desease, which is an incredible rarity in my experience. Most of my symptoms have been confined to inflamation and swelling of my synovium with little ingress into my skeleton until recent years. One of his registrars commented to a group of students "now, let's see how many surgeries we can count". I could have saved him the trouble of hunting for them if he had asked. On another occasion, the same registrar commented "Well, you don't look like a man who's had arthritis for forty years". I didn't bother to mention I'd had it for thirty years. I mention these events to demonstrate just what a breath of Oxygen Dr Bruce Kirkham is. Yes of course, he is guided by my haematology but he is treating me, the patient, not merely cold print. Keep drumming your philosophy into those who pass through your halls of healing Professor Kirkham. And a big Thank You!

15th July 2017
Written by a patient at Guy's Hospital

My experience of Dr Kirkham has been extremely positive. I found him to be a good listener, compassionate, non judgemental, and knowledgeable. I elected to receive my rheumatology care from Guys Hospital due to the excellent service offered to patients like me who have a mixture of Sjögren's,RA and fibromyalgia. I recently received a steroid injection into my shoulder joint. This was delivered with great skill and little pain in comparison with the excruciating pain I felt at my local hospital. Furthermore on my first assessment app at Guys, with Dr Kirkham, he immediately realised there was a problem with my hip joints and referred me for X-rays and orthopaedics. I had complained on numerous occasions to my local rheumatology dept in Eastbourne but little interest was shown. Apparently I need hip replacements now. I think Dr Kirkham is an experienced research based Dr who does listen to his patients and will try to improve their quality life through his advice and medical interventions. I am very pleased to be under his care.

5th April 2017
Written by a patient at Guy's Hospital

I found the opposite to the previous reviewer. I find Prof. Kirkham a poor communicator who prefers to read of the screen and look at results and listen to what I say. This has led to me having to answer and correct him at every appointment for the last 4years and today, despite me correcting him again at the last appointment, I receive a letter with the wrong information. He might be a good researcher but I find him lacking in knowing how to assess and work collaboratively with patients.

18th October 2016
Written by a patient at Guy's Hospital

Dr, or should I say, Prof Kirkham, is the most knowledgeable and driven Rheumatologist I have been fortunate enough to be cared for. He treats the patient by listening, questioning, examining and testing and evaluating, rather than on blood tests results alone. His approach is invaluable to me, someone whose seronegative poly RA comes in and out like the tides, frequently ducking under the available testing on which some old school Rheumatologists are happy to rely, apathetically consigning the patient to the bin marked 'Malingerer'. I am currently on a Biologic prescribe by Prof Kirkham, which is apparently effective and for which I am indescribably grateful. I am painfully aware of the cost of this drug to the NHS, having worked in it myself and wish there was a cheaper solution. Prof Kirkham goes the extra mile for me and I am convinced, for all those in his care. Who could put a price on that?

Nearest Rheumatologists