Dr Benjamin Thomas

Dr Ben Thomas is a Consultant in Pain Medicine who works at the Chelsea and Westminster hospital, in central London. Ben qualified from St Bartholomew's and the Royal London hospital in 2000, and completed training in Anaesthesia before undertaking the Advanced Pain Fellowship at Imperial School, and subsequently a paediatric pain fellowship at Great Ormond Street Hospital. Ben sees a range of patients from those with acute and chronic spinal conditions, back pain, slipped disc, sciatica and facet joint pain, degenerative joint pains, and muscular injuries through to the more complex neuropathic pain patients, including post surgical scar and pain issues, post shingles pain and CRPS cases.

• Anaesthetics and ITU
  • Pain medicine

9th October 2018
Written by a member of staff at Chelsea Outpatient Centre

I am a physio and have just spent the morning seeing patients with Dr Thomas, he was recommended to me by another colleague and I can see why. Although he had a busy clinic, he gave each patient plenty of time to talk and then explained in detail what the options were for their treatment. Dr Thomas has a wonderful way of making complex issues more understandable and gives each patient choices about how they can move forwards to get the best outcome. His knowledge of pain medicine and the latest treatments is impressive. All his patients leave with a bigger smile on their face, as he has offered a treatment plan that will allow their quality of life to improve. He doesn't push for injections or surgery unless necessary, and encourages physical therapy and exercise, which I obviously approve of! I couldn't recommend him more highly.

21st September 2018
Written by a patient at Fortius Clinic

After over a year of going to consultant to consultant I was finally referred to Dr Thomas. My case was difficult, as it seemed long bouts of chronic pains were connected to nerve issues from a recent operation. He listened to the fact that I did not wish to take certain routes, or that some had failed. He devised a strategy to interrupt the nerve signals, and have them reroute themselves. I absolutely respected the fact that he also used ultrasound with injections to make sure he hot the right spots, and didn't do anything unwanted. HE also took on board my tries with alternative therapies, and possible new things I'd read about - and did not in any way make me feel silly for doing so. He used his networks of colleagues to research my problem as well. He is an organised, highly skilled, and knowledgeable practitioner who cut through any 'hype' and got right to viable solutions. He dictates your letters in front of you, so there's no long waits and questions about the status of the case. The face of medical treatments are changing and Dr Thomas is at the front of this trend.

10th August 2018
Written by a patient at Fortius Clinic

A couple of years ago I had significant back pain that was eventually resolved with a steroid injection. Everything was fine until about six weeks ago when I again had a back pain but very different from the previous pain. I arranged an appointment with Dr Ben Thomas who explained that this new pain in his opinion was unrelated to my previous back pain. He arranged an MRI scan and his initial thoughts were confirmed when the scan showed tenderness in the gluteal regions suggesting potential bursitis or paratendinitis. Dr Ben Thomas then recommended a Neuroradiologist to undertake an ultrasound of the gluteal regions who explained what he was doing and why he was going to administer steroid injections. Thanks to Ben's diagnosis and prompt action my back pain has gone.

28th February 2018
Written by a patient at Fortius Clinic

In June I had a knee replacement and removal of a third of my femur after a recurrence of a sarcoma that was removed from my thigh ten years ago. Dr Thomas was most helpful in helping me manage the resulting pain from the operation. He listened, he gave practical advice and I found it most reassuring in the way he went about treating me.

28th November 2016
Written by a patient at Chelsea and Westminster Hospital

As a mum with three little ones under 3 years of age, I was mostly terrified of my operation due the thought of being knocked out by a general anaesthetic for at least 4 hours! Especially as previous general anaesthetics had left me extremely sick and drowsy for days. Dr Ben Thomas was outstanding. He listened to me and understood my concerns, altered the approach accordingly and provided lots of reassurance before the operation, instantly making me feel safe. I was amazed after the operation how I wasn't sick, I didn't have a heavy head nor did I even feel drowsy, it was very impressive. Dr Ben Thomas also managed my pain post operation - taking an anaesthetist role above and beyond what I expected. He took a completely holistic approach- from reassuring me before the operation, keeping me safe during the op, monitoring my pain levels up until my discharge to make sure I went home with the right pain relief. Having this support post operation eased my pain and recovery immensely. I would highly recommend Dr Ben Thomas, he's the perfect anaesthetist.

Nearest Anaesthetists and ITU specialists