Dr Annie Swanepoel

• Psychiatry

23rd July 2017
Written by a patient at Hoddesdon CAMHS

This Dr will offer advise but will never put pen to paper to document the very odd ball advise she give kids and parents

12th September 2017
Response from Dr Annie Swanepoel

The only advice I do not write down is when I advise parents to seek help for their own mental health difficulties, as this would breach confidentiality if I were to put this information in the letter about the child. I can see how some parents may think that it is odd that I suggest that they seek help for themselves if their child is the one presenting with difficulties - however, many children feel the stress that their parents are under. This is particularly true in cases of marital strife, domestic violence, acrimonious divorce or any other issue that parents may struggle with. The stronger and happier the parent, the better for the child. I usually explain all of this in my consultation, but will make a point of explaining it a bit more, so that parents are not offended and see that I don't blame them and am trying to get the best result for the whole family.

Nearest Psychiatrists