Dr Alistair Makin

• Internal (General) Medicine
  • Gastroenterology

11th May 2018
Written by a patient at Manchester Royal Infirmary

I met Alistair Makin in 2017 when i had a sever case of Acute Pancreatitis, I almost died and was in an induced coma, then in intensive care for a while, then on the recovery wards.. I later developed what he said was the largest Pseudocyst he had seen, It was around the full size of my stomach, I had to have a lot of Necrosectomys , varying other operations and medication, I also caught Sepsis a few times, so was in a bad state. I lost a lot of weight, strength and energy and also some movement, due to me not being able to eat of drink much, due to the Pancreatitis and Pseudocyst, I believe Alistair doing all he could with me and not giving up until it was resolved saved my life, With a total stay of 6 months in hospital. I now just have to have follow up reviews, scans, etc and take all my medications, and hopefully i shall be fine, 50/50 chance of it returning. I can not thank Alistair enough, And his team as i spent a lot of time with them during my stay in hospital, they almost became a part of the family, And i can not praise Alistair enough. Stephen Russell.

15th February 2018
Written by a patient at Manchester Royal Infirmary

I have been a patient of Dr Makin now for over 10 years with chronic pancreatitis at the M.R.I. From our first meeting and now 2018 he as been totally honest with me with all the treatments, he as carried out on me, gives you plenty of advise on what's best for you and support you may require, threw your good and bad times. To me he is the best

27th October 2017
Written by a patient at Manchester Royal Infirmary

I first went to see him privately for ongoing gasto distress. I had been having lots of trouble for years and my quality of life was poor as i couldnt go anywhere without being terrified of having to dash to the loo. I first saw him and he was arranging tests for me. Unfortunately i ended up in hospital before his tests could commence but the hospital stay meant i had tonnes of tests anyway and then he arranged some speedy follow ups afterwards. After 10 years of horrible, it took just a month to get a Crohns diagnosis. Mr Makin then set out a treatment plan. Which improved stuff but didnt really work. He then moved me to a different therapy from which i have had great success. The guy actually listens to you. He doesnt just throw drugs at you and forget you. I have to note that a lot of this is down to his team at MRI too. They work together so well and the results in my case have been legendary. Is my health perfect right now. No it is not but without Mr Makin getting me on a proper treatment plan i dont know what sort of a state i would be in. For me he is a legend. I cannot thank him enough for the difference he has made. He knows his stuff and treats you like a person.

8th July 2017
Written by a patient at Manchester Royal Infirmary

I have been a patient of Dr Makins for around 6 years now. He is absolutely amazing and has completely changed my life. I had struggled for over 10 years with severe stomach pain which often landed me in hospital for extended periods of time but with everyone clueless as to what was causing the pain. I was referred to his care in 2011 and within 2 appointments and an array of tests he had diagnosed me with Crohn's disease and had a treatment plan in place. Dr Makin saved my life, he has been an outstanding Dr in every aspect and I could not ask for more from him. He is personable and professional, caring and compassionate but most of all extremely knowledgable!

28th November 2016
Written by a patient at Manchester Royal Infirmary

I was referred to Dr Makin after years of being passed from pillar to post in relation to my condition. My condition was ruining my life, causing me severe pain which often lead to stints in hospital. My condition was considered complex and rare and only once I'd met with Dr Makin was I accurately diagnosed as having Spinchter of Oddi dysfunction. Dr Makin took the time to listen to me, understand my worries and explain to me exactly what he felt was happening with my body. He took the time to draw me diagrams and explain how he hoped to treat my condition using new methods. He doesn't use jargon and makes you feel at ease. I would highly recommend him. He seems to genuinely care about the welfare of his patients and his intervention has literally changed my life.

Nearest Internal (General) medicine specialists