Dr Alistair Makin

• Internal (General) Medicine
  • Gastroenterology

27th October 2017
Written by a patient at Manchester Royal Infirmary

I first went to see him privately for ongoing gasto distress. I had been having lots of trouble for years and my quality of life was poor as i couldnt go anywhere without being terrified of having to dash to the loo. I first saw him and he was arranging tests for me. Unfortunately i ended up in hospital before his tests could commence but the hospital stay meant i had tonnes of tests anyway and then he arranged some speedy follow ups afterwards. After 10 years of horrible, it took just a month to get a Crohns diagnosis. Mr Makin then set out a treatment plan. Which improved stuff but didnt really work. He then moved me to a different therapy from which i have had great success. The guy actually listens to you. He doesnt just throw drugs at you and forget you. I have to note that a lot of this is down to his team at MRI too. They work together so well and the results in my case have been legendary. Is my health perfect right now. No it is not but without Mr Makin getting me on a proper treatment plan i dont know what sort of a state i would be in. For me he is a legend. I cannot thank him enough for the difference he has made. He knows his stuff and treats you like a person.

8th July 2017
Written by a patient at Manchester Royal Infirmary

I have been a patient of Dr Makins for around 6 years now. He is absolutely amazing and has completely changed my life. I had struggled for over 10 years with severe stomach pain which often landed me in hospital for extended periods of time but with everyone clueless as to what was causing the pain. I was referred to his care in 2011 and within 2 appointments and an array of tests he had diagnosed me with Crohn's disease and had a treatment plan in place. Dr Makin saved my life, he has been an outstanding Dr in every aspect and I could not ask for more from him. He is personable and professional, caring and compassionate but most of all extremely knowledgable!

28th November 2016
Written by a patient at Manchester Royal Infirmary

I was referred to Dr Makin after years of being passed from pillar to post in relation to my condition. My condition was ruining my life, causing me severe pain which often lead to stints in hospital. My condition was considered complex and rare and only once I'd met with Dr Makin was I accurately diagnosed as having Spinchter of Oddi dysfunction. Dr Makin took the time to listen to me, understand my worries and explain to me exactly what he felt was happening with my body. He took the time to draw me diagrams and explain how he hoped to treat my condition using new methods. He doesn't use jargon and makes you feel at ease. I would highly recommend him. He seems to genuinely care about the welfare of his patients and his intervention has literally changed my life.

16th November 2016
Written by a patient at Manchester Royal Infirmary

I was referred to Dr Alistair James Makin in 2014, following my refusal to accept a previous consultant citing my debilitating pain (for approximately four years) as me suffering from stress. I had seen many Drs within the UK and abroad. Within the first consultation; Dr Makin listened, demonstrated he understood, offered his view of a possible diagnosis with explanation, coupled with a course of action and any associated risks. He fully appreciated the impact the matter was having on my personal and professional life. I felt instantly that I was finally at the right place. I have been under his care since at the MRI and Spire Hale, and undergone a number of ERCP related procedures, which have all been successful. Being averse to hospitalisation and procedures, I never once felt anxious and always had every confidence in him - a first for me. He is a remarkable individual; patient, extremely talented and an absolute credit to the National & Private Health Service. His NHS secretary Lorraine and Private secretary Rose have always gone above and beyond to ensure I have been accommodated with appointments, offering an excellent level of service. I truly recommend anyone seeking an expert in his field, to seek a consultation. Lisa CT

4th March 2016
Written by a patient at Spire Manchester Hospital

Dr Makin has been supporting my care for the last six months, as a private patient at spire hale, with oesophageal issues following a cervical operation. He goes the extra mile to respond, fit you in, make you feel at ease, listen and most importantly treat you in a caring and compassionate manner. He has never made me feel anything but important to him and I have 100 per cent confidence in his professional expertise. He prides himself in treating you like he would a family member rather than just another patient. He has honestly been the best specialist you could ask for. He has never been impatient or detached and has shown huge empathy to me which I will never forget. I am so lucky to be under his care and urge anyone looking for a gastroenterologist to seek him out. He is a true professional and a lovely human being,

Nearest Internal (General) medicine specialists