Dr Alison Birtle

Specialises in urological oncology, prostate bladder and testicular cancer. Interested in chemoradiation, technical radiotherapy, new systemic therapies, immunotherapy.passionate aboirt access to clinical trials. Co chair bladder/renal csg, associate clinical lead for research north west coast clinical reaearch network, medical advisor fight bladder cancer

• Oncology

12th October 2017
Written by a patient at Royal Lancaster Infirmary

During my clinical appointments with Dr Birtle, she has always been very pleasant, approachable and confident. She is clearly extremely knowledgeable and has always taken every care to explain all aspects of my treatment, to answer any questions I may have had and to appraise me of various clinical trials which I may be able to take part in. Nothing is too much trouble for her and whilst she is a thoroughly efficient specialist in her field, she always makes me feel that I am an individual. She even acknowledged my birthday when it coincided with one of my visits. She is very much an action person, making sure that everything goes to plan and I feel that I could not be in any more capable hands. I have total faith that she will strive to achieve the best outcome possible for me from my treatment.

11th October 2017
Written by a patient at Royal Lancaster Infirmary

I have been a patient of Dr Alison Birtle since the autumn of 2016, having been diagnosed with prostate cancer. Treatment included 6 months of hormone therapy followed by 7 weeks of daily radiotherapy. Living the cancer journey with oneself and loved ones is difficult enough. Her skill in her understanding of the medical journey combined with the personal journey is very evident. Her reputation is national, she really does put the patient first. I am so very lucky that I had the opportunity of being referred to her. You really feel she is batting for you and that she is interested in your journey and wants it to be a successful one. My journey with cancer has been successful. Overtime and at 64 years of age, I have seen many specialist consultants for a variety of illnesses. She tops the lot, so professional, always smiling, has time for you, she is so skilled. She should spend some of her days mentoring other consultants as they are not always the same.

11th October 2017
Written by a patient at Royal Lancaster Infirmary

Dr Alison has a very professional and friendly manner. She does not talk down to you but as an equal with a sense of humour. All aspects of your treatments & procedures are discussed fully in words you can understand. It,s not just your treatments that are discussed, she enquires about your quality of life & that of your family & other interests. She is has become a friend over the past 2+ years & this shows during your consultations with her. Her enthusiam has spread to all the members of her team which makes you feel at ease nomatter who you are dealing with.

10th October 2017
Written by a patient at Royal Lancaster Infirmary

Dr Alison Birtle has succesfully treated me for cancer and is currently monitoring me to make sure that the cancer does not make a return. She has been absolutely fantastic, I cannot say enough good things about her, she is so caring and considerate and always makes sure you get the best care. She is truly a star in her field, definitely a special person with so much talent. Me and my family will be forever grateful to Dr Birtle for the care and consideration she has shown me. So thankful I got her as my oncology doctor.

9th October 2017
Written by a patient at Royal Lancaster Infirmary

Following surgery in the summer of 2016 at Christies I was referred to Alison Birtle, seeing her a year ago. It was at a low time, expecting the operation to be the end of my problems but unfortunately the results of the tissue histology were not too encouraging, and Dr Birtle kept nothing back giving extremely open and honest information. She began hormone treatment immediately and then radiotherapy a few months later, I have just had another follow up appointment and the blood results appear to be encouraging and I now have hope, hope I didn't have before. Everyday men are diagnosed with prostate cancer, if you live here in the Morecambe Bay area make sure you are referred to Alison Birtle, she is a very special doctor.

Nearest Oncologists