Dr Alison Birtle

Specialises in urological oncology, prostate bladder and testicular cancer. Interested in chemoradiation, technical radiotherapy, new systemic therapies, immunotherapy.passionate aboirt access to clinical trials. Co chair bladder/renal csg, associate clinical lead for research north west coast clinical reaearch network, medical advisor fight bladder cancer

• Oncology

2nd February 2018
Written by a patient at Royal Lancaster Infirmary

Attended an appointment ( accompanied by my wife ) with Dr. Birtle today . Always a pleasure , she has the ability to put us at ease and competently answer any concerns we may have , no matter how trivial we might think they are . The appointment was conducted on time , in a friendly and efficient manner . Dr. Birtle has guided me through my treatment with compassion and respect . Other patients I have spoken to also speak very highly of Dr Birtle .

22nd January 2018
Written by a patient at Royal Lancaster Infirmary

Nobody wants cancer, nobody enjoys the treatment, nobody would ever chose to repeat the experience but having a great oncologist can make the intolerable tolerable. Alison is a highly competent professional while at the same time endowed with exceptional person skills which in my experience is a rare combination. I have always felt that with Alison on my side I had the best chance possible of surviving this awful disease. I have found her to be diligent, attentive, knowledgeable, humorous when appropriate and hugely inspirational. Who else could encourage me to lose three stone in weight? Thank you Alison for all that you have done

22nd January 2018
Written by a patient at Royal Lancaster Infirmary

I was diagnosed with serious cancer in 2012. Dr, Birtle felt sure I could be helped and took charge of my case. I agreed to have treatment which had not been clinically tested and received it over a period of a year. Great care was taken throughout by Dr. Birtle and all the specialists and staff involved. Due to Dr. Birtle's expertise and determination I was declared clear of cancer at the end of a year. Now five years later I have been "signed off". I hope that the treatment I received can be used for other patients. I cannot express fully my appreciation of the treatment and care I have received from everyone involved during this time. My grateful thanks go to Dr. Birtle and her colleagues.

18th January 2018
Written by a patient at Royal Lancaster Infirmary

From diagnosis to after care Dr Birtle and her team were on the ball from day 1 giving guidance and reassurance, to both myself and my wife. Dr Birtle gave us a clear plan and ensured we had all the necessary information to make decisions. Lorraine our specialist Nurse was also extremely supportive and knowledgeable, and we were able to contact her with any questions, no matter how trivial. We can’t thank the whole team enough, including the excellent care we received at the Rosemere Unit in Preston. I am now one year on and still receiving excellent follow up care. A massive thank you to Dr Birtle and all her team!

21st December 2017
Written by a carer at Royal Lancaster Infirmary

My dad and I have just had our first visit today. Thank you to Dr Birtle and her supportive team for help us through this difficult time . It is all very new to us but you made me feel the support is there. Thank you for talking things through with out rushing through the plans that will get us through the next few weeks. It's comforting to be in the care of an extremely knowledgeable team. You must see many patients in your clinics each week but you still haven't lost sight of the way you see them as really people. Thank you again for showing my dad empathy and compassion we he needs a little helping hand. He here's my voice on a daily basis but hearing from you has helped him understand what he's going through.

Nearest Oncologists