Dr Alan Wear

• Psychiatry

7th October 2016
Written by a patient at The Priory Hospital Southampton

I first met Dr Wear in June 2017. I was in the grip of a mental health crisis manifesting as depression, anxiety and chronic insomnia - at 50 years of age, this was the first time I had experienced such an event. His sensible decision to admit me for a short spell of inpatient care at The Priory Hospital was absolutely correct as I was able to receive intensive psychotherapy and quickly switch mediation. Nevertheless, at the time, going to a mental health unit felt like a fairly extreme course of action. Dr Wear was particularly reassuring towards my partner, who was understandably very upset in the circumstances. I attended my discharge meeting with Dr Wear yesterday and, while I recognise that I am still 'in recovery', I feel terrific. I would have absolutely no reservations about seeking Dr Wear's expert treatment should the need arise in the future.

10th July 2014
Written by a patient at The Priory Hospital Southampton

Dr Wear is brilliant! I've been seeing him for a long time now, and I'm the happiest I've ever been. He's helped my depression and helped me give up alcohol. I can't recommend him highly enough. Thank you!

22nd March 2014
Written by a patient at The Priory Hospital Southampton

I have no hesitation in recommending Dr Wear, I found him to be very professional and human. I'm now in recovery and very grateful for the care and guidance provided by Dr Wear and the staff at the Priory Southampton.

6th August 2013
Written by a patient at The Priory Hospital Southampton

I could not recommend this doctor (and the staff and care at the Marchwood Priory) highly enough. I was severely depressed when I first met Dr Wear, but even after the first appointment, I trusted him completely. I felt he listened to everything I told him and took everything on board (not a mean feat as I do talk a lot). This meant a lot to me, considering I was used to the nodding heads of other doctors, when you are completely aware they are disinterested!! I was pretty much a lost soul at this point, and Dr Wear suggested a couple of weeks in the Priory. This was something I was extremely apprehensive about, but Dr Wear thought this would be a good idea, so that was good enough for me! These were the most productive and effective two weeks in my (nearly) 40 years. This was the one time that all I could (and was allowed) to do was think about and concentrate on myself. Whilst still having the benefit of experienced professionals who provided good quality therapy sessions that were so beneficial and provided the opportunity to share experiences/help and advice with other like minded patients. I honestly felt that they saved my life!! I think everybody should be given the opportunity to experience a week or so in this place, as it really does give 'wrap around care' support and insight. But I strongly recommend that you take full advantage of the therapy sessions, otherwise it is a very expensive holiday, and for those of you who have been depressed, probably know they don't solve problems, just Elastoplast them for a week or so. I have always felt that Dr Wear has been honest with me (not too brutally though, particularly at low points). Very tactful and structured in feedback and also went beyond what I see as his role, by helping me move forward with other medical interventions. I have taken on board everything Dr Wear has said, and my life has changed considerably for the better as a result. I like his sense of humour too, and his delivery and timing is excellent!! Finally I have never felt like this is just a job for Dr Wear, but a vocation of which he excels in. He has changed my life in so many ways, bit gushy but I am hoping that other potential patients have the benefit of seeing such an excellent Psychiatrist, as I was.

15th May 2013

I HAVE VISITED DR WEAR SEVERAL TIMES AND FOUND MYSELF AT EASE WITH HIM AND ABLE TO DISCUSS MY SYMPTOMS HONESTLY. HAVING MY HUSBAND PRESENT AT TIMES HAS HELPED GREATLY INSTEAD OF KEEPING THINGS BOTTLED UP BUT OUT IN THE OPEN SEEMS TO MAKE THEM NOT AS DISABLING AS I THOUGHT. I AM CONFIDENT THAT TABLETS ALONE CANNOT HELP WITH DEPRESSION BUT ALSO DISCUSSING MY PROBLEMS IN A COMFORTABLE AND FRIENDLY ATMOSPHERE AND TO TAKE EACH DAY AS IT COMES. THIS HAS ENABLED ME IN GETTING BACK ON TRACK TO MY FORMER HAPPY SELF. ALSO I HAVE LEARNT TO PACE MYSELF. THE SURGERY IS NOT BY ANY MEANS AN IMPOSING PLACE BUT IS VERY PLEASANT FOR THE PATIENT.

Nearest Psychiatrists