Psychiatry-UK

http://www.psychiatry-uk.com/, PO Box 329, WC1A 1 2 3 4 5 314 reviews

Written by a private patient
20th September 2021

Dr Yueng is amazing she is very responsive and goes over and above to help. I still can't believe how quick the process has been. Her advice has been invaluable and will change our lives for the better. Admin team are also great and friendly. If you need help contact Psychiatry UK. The whole process is seamless. Would highly recommend.

20th September 2021

After initially starting my ADHD diagnosis process via my local GP and feeling dismissed, unheard and a little hopeless with a potential few year wait with a clinic with bad reviews of diagnosis ADHD in adults (including a few reviews suggesting they have said if you have completed a degree you can't have ADHD) , Psychiatry UK have been an absolute godsend before I even had my first contact with them. Their website is helpful with so much useful information and I feel like without their information and template letter on the NHS Right to Choose I wouldn't have been re-referred at all. Dealing with P-UK has been great- the first phone had to book an appointment was incredibly quick and the person I dealt with was really empathetic. I was surprised at how quick it was and really grateful and nearly in tears and he just kept emphasising that it should be the norm and access to services for adults with ADHD should be easier. All forms were sent out to fill out prior to assessment and was easy to understand. I had a video assessment with Dr Bindman who was professional, fantastic and helpful. She apologised that we had a shorter time for the assessment than she would have liked so went through things really quickly- which I really appreciated as it touched on some things I find hard to talk about but she never made me feel uncomfortable. I think it was about an hour appointment (I may have that wrong though) and in that time as well as assessing me she picked up on things I had never considered- including Delayed Sleep Phase Disorder and a few other things. After the appointment I felt like a huge weight had been lifted. I was worried for days before the appointment that I was overreacting and I didn't have ADHD. Getting my diagnosis has been life changing, has made me reassess things I struggle with daily and find new ways to deal with them. Afterwards Dr Bindman sent me a list of resources that have been really helpful- including the Sleepio sleep course that has changed my relationship with sleep for the better and I now have considerably less sleep issues. Her report from my assessment was detailed too and helpful to look back on. The titration service has been brilliant and has taken a few months of slowly increasing doses of Xaggatin XL and weekly reporting of my blood pressure, heart rate and weight. I felt heard when I said that I was having bad side effects and was given good advice early on to curb side effects that went away soon after. I am now on a stable dose of medication that is controlling the symptoms that made my life harder and I am finding daily life easier. Thank you so much, I am incredibly grateful for your service, your advocacy and your professional and caring staff members. In the past when I have sought help for anxiety, depression and some past physical health issues I haven't had the best experiences and it's made me weary of seeking help, I can't recommend this service enough. It's been a great and life changing experience, thank you.

16th September 2021

Had an assessment with Dr. Stockmann, he's a younger doctor and new to the team. I did not come away feeling good about this assessment, though he listened and asked questions regularly I felt in general he seemed dismissive. It felt like he had researched a bunch of textbook facts on ADHD and he was adamant that meds were not the best form of treatment; instead changes to my "environment" would help. He suggested getting a "planner" to help with my organization issues which whilst I agree can be helpful was not the *specialist* advice I expected to receive. I struggle with focusing and no amount of planning is going to change that if it's DOING that's the problem. If you want to go down the medication route (which I did, and many people do and have had a LOT of success with it) then this probably is not the doctor for you. He encourages you to do everything else and use medication as a last resort rather than taking medication and simultaneously building your habits as some of us would much prefer. Which all in all is not a bad thing that he suggests this, I respect him for that, but being one-sided and biased is not useful to me as the patient. He's not a bad doctor at all. He was kind and respectful, and for the most part understanding. Some of the points he made about ADHD being triggered by your environment were interesting (hence why this wasn't a 1 star review). I am not saying he doesn't know what he's talking about. I'm saying he didn't have the compassion or the bedside manner I was looking for. He is supposed to guide me, and I felt like he dismissed me and my struggles chalking it to my stressful "environment". As the patient I should be given the facts and be allowed to choose the way forward. If I choose ADHD coaching/therapy/non-medication route that's fine. If I choose the medication route I should be able to do so without judgement and be fully supported throughout the process. He seems like he needs more experience with treating people with ADHD. Saying he is an "ADHD specialist" is not truthful though as I got the impression he didn't have much research (or any other) specific experience with ADHD, and I don't like that PUK said that he was a specialist when asked. His advice to me at the end was very generic. Something your GP would say or just about every NT person out there. He didn't seem to know any recent studies which was frustrating for a patient who comes to the "specialist" to look for answers. If I come to you (a specialist) it's because I have exhausted every other option. I do not come to get dismissed. You need a doctor you can trust and one you can connect to, this wasn't the case for me unfortunately. By the end, I came away feeling like Dr. Stockmann gave me the diagnosis as a means to the end. He made it seem like having a confirmed diagnosis would get me the support I otherwise wouldn't have been able to access and I should make the most out of it. But I have struggles and a life outside of studying, and I shouldn't be told generic advice that I already knew many years ago and simply told to "adapt" to my environment. Do better. To the doctors reading this, if you are treating people for ADHD then do your research. Read those studies and don't come out with "there is no biological component involved" because that's untrue to an extent and extremely belittling to hear. Be impartial. Of course make the patients aware of the risk but give them the options to choose from. To the Women reading this: If you are a woman seeking a diagnosis DON'T let the doctors/specialists dismiss you and your struggles. I didn't get through half of my points in the session which was extremely frustrating as he was aware of how little time we had. If the first doc dismisses you, go to the next, and the next, and the next. This is your life. You deserve answers. Yes this process can be extremely draining, but getting a diagnosis in itself is important as its what allows you to access the best (most beneficial) thing: treatment. The admin team at PUK was great, they listened and have helped me with getting treatment from a different doctor moving forward. Thank you.

16th September 2021

Dr Tambimuttu is an amazing professional who really helped me out. I would say the video system is shaky but that isn't the clinics fault.

16th September 2021

I had an ADHD assessment with Dr Amir Tari in July. He is wonderful; warm, caring, kind, patient. He gave me the time and space to talk, so much so that we went over our appointment time. He would acknowledge what I was saying by telling me “that’s very helpful” so that I felt heard and understood, which I did. If you’re lucky enough to have the chance to pick him for your assessment, I recommend that you do it! You’re in very good hands. I am very glad that I went down the Right to Choose route for my ADHD assessment. Psychiatry UK staff have been friendly and pleasant on the phone and online. I appreciate that the team is dealing with an over-subscription with Right to Choose and staff shortages so the circa three-month delay to start titrating is frustrating, especially for people dealing with ADHD, who are processing their new diagnoses later in life, who might be struggling with this limbo and their symptoms and want to crack on to see how medicine can help. But despite feeling how all of those things, I’m still grateful for the care and service since I am an NHS patient and I had been waiting more than two years to be seen locally without getting an assessment appointment. So, thank you, Psychiatry UK and Dr Tari. I know that you’re up against it with demand, staff shortages, and covid, and I appreciate what you’re doing for me and many others during a difficult time.

14th September 2021

very focussed appointment but plenty of time and support to explain my experience. very grateful for the opportunity to be seen in a more reasonable time compared to the famously underfunded nhs mental health services.

12th September 2021

My experience of Psychiatry UK has been outstanding, even while the case has been solely dealt with over the phone and email it became very clear from an early point that all that I dealt with there cared greatly. I highly recommend this practise.

12th September 2021

The psychiatrist was understanding about my distractions during our meeting, and the whole process was fast and pleasant.

Written by a private patient
9th September 2021

I was incredibly lucky that Psychiatry UK was the provider via my local CCG at the time that I was referred. I had a much faster, and far less stressful journey with Psychiatry UK than I think most people in my position have with NHS services. I am grateful for this service and would (and do) recommend it to anyone in a similar situation to myself.

1st September 2021

N/A

Safe

Psychiatry-UK was awarded the iWantGreatCare certificate of excellence in 2021 for delivering outstanding care.

{{category}} working at Psychiatry-UK ({{entities.length}})

Short link to review Psychiatry-UK: http://iwgc.net/empzu